Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Top income tax rate under FDR was 92%. It should still be the case.
What makes you think you deserve 92% of what someone else earns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
More like "I was born into the right family name , with the right connections , or born into an affluent situation, where I had privilege and access to the best schools, best social and economic circles, which led to better college, which opened the doors to many more opportunities; yet instead of being grateful for my good fortune, I act as if I did it all on my own, with no outside help. Then when I "arrive" at the top, I will greedily and mercilessly treated my workers, and/or people I deem "unworthy", like disposable commodities, further increasing my profits and net worth, but hurting the very people who helped make my "success" even possible.
Your scenario, USED to be the case, and on RARE cases, still happens, but a lot of plain luck is required. I know many folks who DO work the 12-14 hr days either just to survive, or they are the first ones to be laid off. Do you really think the rich are so special that they did everything all on their own, and that the tens of millions struggling are suddenly lazy, and shiftless?? Why do people blindly worship the rich, as if they equate wealth with character and human worth????? He/she is rich, they MUST automatically be superior, harder working people who sacrificed all to make it. Please if that were the case dang near everyone I know would be "rich" and there would be a LOT more wealthy out there. Sorry, hard work never hurt anyone, BUT it's also no guarantee of future success anymore.
Now, since you realize variables....apply your "more like" logic to the "next time you judge a poor person" rhetoric and paint the picture for the scum that burden the middle class with their slacking life of entitlement and victim mentality.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
He fails to mention there were only two tax brackets at that time....

"Little details" always go amiss when it is convenient

Old 12-29-2013, 02:04 AM

21,464 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
From health care to education to mass transit to Social Security, if a government program helps those in need, Republicans oppose it. They will support tax cuts targeted for the wealthy, while opposing tax cuts targeted for those that aren't wealthy. The Republicans clearly have an overall ideology, and it is reflected throughout their agenda. Which isn't class warfare.

But calling them on it is.
I've never heard Republicans opposing tax cuts targeted to those that aren't wealthy. Didn't Bush cut taxes across the board?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:32 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Now, since you realize variables....apply your "more like" logic to the "next time you judge a poor person" rhetoric and paint the picture for the scum that burden the middle class with their slacking life of entitlement and victim mentality.

So struggling folks, even the working poor are scummy slackers?? Wow nice attitude towards your fellow American. No wonder America sucks so bad with attitudes like that. Most struggling and working poor are doing the best they can with the hand they were dealt, myself included. I'm doing fine now, but struggled for a bit there, even after going to school, getting re-educated etc. Here in Oz, the poor are not looked upon with disdain, and the wealthy are not worshipped quite like they are in the U$. It amazes me that American equate character with wealth. Yet another reason why your country is gong down the toilet.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:34 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I've never heard Republicans opposing tax cuts targeted to those that aren't wealthy. Didn't Bush cut taxes across the board?

Weren't the biggest cuts for the top 2%??

Old 12-29-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
So struggling folks, even the working poor are scummy slackers?? Wow nice attitude towards your fellow American. No wonder America sucks so bad with attitudes like that. Most struggling and working poor are doing the best they can with the hand they were dealt, myself included. I'm doing fine now, but struggled for a bit there, even after going to school, getting re-educated etc. Here in Oz, the poor are not looked upon with disdain, and the wealthy are not worshipped quite like they are in the U$. It amazes me that American equate character with wealth. Yet another reason why your country is gong down the toilet.
Well didn't you say all wealthy are born through legacy?

Do you get it yet???

Old 12-29-2013, 03:54 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Top income tax rate under FDR was 92%. It should still be the case.
There were under 100 people who qualified for this rate.

Sounds nice to lefties though!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 AM

26,477 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
There you go, bursting the liberal bubble that "the rich" didn't earn their wealth through hard work. They just can't stand the idea that people can not only survive but do well all on their own.
Thank you.

All schools should be forced to teach an in depth personal financial class. I can't think of a class that would be more important at helping young adults understand decisions and consequences that would benefit them later in life.

History should continue to teach "social justice," but it needs to also focus on stories of those who work hard and find success - people like the Wright Brothers.

So many of my students will literally say that hard work has no value and won't help them out. They aren't getting taught financial decisions at home or at school. Many think because they are poor and not white there are millions out there trying keep them down so why try. This is BS and it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 AM

37,179 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They don't give the tax money to me. Taxes are levied by congress to pay the bills of the nation, per the Constitution. Our bills are high at the moment, and more help is needed with them from those who are most able to pay. They should be delighted to pay them as their fair share of being allowed to prosecute their businesses in a climate where high profits are possible.

If you don't like the tax rates, move somewhere that suits you. I doubt you will find anywhere to go that doesn't tax you. BTW, taxes are used to provide things you use every day, and you receive far more benefit than you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies