Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm not a country music fan, but good for him for taking the common sense stand he has - especially knowing full well that it could alienate a "certain" segment of his fan base.
"common sense stand"..... How exactly is it a common sense stand to keep good law abiding people from carrying a gun when someone who has no regard for the law are going to do it anyway? Take Phil here as an example......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
By the way, IF (highly doubtful) I went to this "establishment," I'd carry my guns anyway.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-28-2013 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
For a fact, alcohol changes some people when they get drunk. Mr. Responsible Gun Owner sober may be Mr. Mean-Assed Shooter when he's had one too many. Keith is only limiting the possibilities some by refusing to allow guns in his joint. I've seen more than one good bartender de-fuse a fight before it even starts, but that's a pretty hard thing to do when a gun is only a split-second away from being used.
FYI:
In states that permit residents with a carry license to carry in bars, like in Ohio where I live, most have the stipulation that the permit holder must not consume alcohol if he/she is packing heat. Now, I know what you're going to say. You're going to say they might just ignore that stipulation right?

Well if they are willing to ignore that stipulation, then it stands to reason that they'd ignore a sign saying that guns weren''t allowed in the first place now wouldn't it? So tell me, who are we really keeping from carrying guns with these laws, stipulations, and house rules barring guns? People who have no regard for law or rules anyway? Or responsible people who abide by the law?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-28-2013 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Yes, yet read HR218 which gives me the authority to carry a gun ANYWHERE in the United States, not withstanding federal laws. That includes this little po dunk bar in Virginia.

Its 2013 ladies and gentlemen. Wake up and smell the coffee. Right, wrong, or indifferent. I can carry gun places you cannot and do not. Those are the facts of life.
Not when you're off duty it doesn't. HR218 does not preempt state laws that allow private entities to prohibit firearms on their private properties. Let's hope that you're just pretending to be an officer of the law. I can't imagine one to be so ignorant about laws that apply to them.

Excerpt from HR218:

"This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit
the laws of any State that—
‘‘(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict
the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
‘‘(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any
State or local government property, installation, building, base,
or park."

If you don't think that this bar is a private property, you are greatly mistaken.

Excerpt from Virginia Law:

CRIMINAL PROVISIONS

UnderVirginia law, a license to carry a handgun is not valid in any of the following places or circumstances, whether it is issued by Virginia, or a person is carrying pursuant to a reciprocity between his or her state of license and Virginia:

While under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs
Consumption of alcoholic beverages while in any restaurant or club licensed to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption
While on the private property where the owner has prohibited possession

Last edited by NJBest; 12-28-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 09:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Ok, good luck with that. Show me where I am wrong?
According to the law, a posted sign is all you need to tell anyone, including an officer, that they cannot carry a gun on to private property.

That was simple.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:55 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Yep. His joint, his rules. He doesn't want guns in his bar, good for him and more power to him.

However, do you realize if I opened a bar and had a sign which said, "No women allowed." Or, "No Jews." Or anything else? What do you think Temptest and all the other liberals would say? Do you think they would be happy with that and content?

Do you truly believe they would say its my bar and I can have whomever I want in there? Funny, how they like things their way and ONLY their way and then spout off about how they have all of society in mind. Liars...
Gun owners can leave their bang-bangs at home. You suggest a way for females to check their extra X chromosome, and you may have a viable comparison. Otherwise, grab for another simile, because this one won't fly.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Not when you're off duty it doesn't. HR218 does not preempt state laws that allow private entities to prohibit firearms on their private properties. Let's hope that you're just pretending to be an officer of the law. I can't imagine one to be so ignorant about laws that apply to them.
Oh you'd be very surprised. Youtube is full of videos depicting officers who have no idea what the law says on a number of subjects, particularly the carrying of guns. There must be hundreds of videos about it.

This is why I encourage all citizens to educate themselves about the law and what their Rights are under it. That and carry a video camera with you at all times. It would seem most cops don't know what the law is because a lot of them think they ARE the law and make it up as they go along and that we should just do as they say.

Back on topic.....

Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
"Gay people have the exact same rights as everyone else, they can get married if they want to"

See how stupid that sounds?
What do gay people having the right to get married have to do with allowing guns in a restaurant

Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What do gay people having the right to get married have to do with allowing guns in a restaurant
Nothing, but your statement about guns was just as stupid as my example about gay people getting married.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Nothing, but your statement about guns was just as stupid as my example about gay people getting married.

How was my statement about guns stupid. I said gun owners were welcomed just not their guns

Old 12-28-2013, 10:12 PM

How has this gone on for 8 whole pages? The dude is a PRIVATE business owner! He has made the decision to disarm law abiding people and have only criminals be armed in his bar. That is perfectly his Right to do so! Take this information and decide where you want to spend your money accordingly.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies