Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:06 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm willing to bet the OP was not expecting posters to suggest we cut back on the military, and when they did, his point was gone..

He wont be back to explain...
You are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
To my liberal friends, please don't respond to this thread because I'm making a point, and I don't want this thread to get hijacked. You'll understand later. To my republican opponents, just tell me what spending you would cut to get to a balanced budget. its that simple. Have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
We see these threads all the time. Each lib thinks himself brilliant for having come up with the challenge.

Start with the $6.65 per cheeseburger that Amtrak loses on its $9.50 cheesburgers and go from there. Turn it over to McDonalds and see if they can do a little better.
Cut the tax funded puppet shows
U.S. Spends $1.18 Million on Puppets Amid Sequester

And yes, cut the defense waste
Military Buying Italian Planes At $50 Million A Piece . . . And Sending Them Directly To “Boneyard” | JONATHAN TURLEY

How about it OP? Would you approve these cuts or is spending fine the way it is?

So how about it nighttrain55?

You've had numerous responses to your question.

Let's see this terrific point of yours?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Members of congress are not employees so they do not need to get any pay for anything after they leave office.

Fire all czars hired by the president. Congress cannot regulate them so they need to go.

No money should be given to our enemies and as little as possible to our friends,

Not one red cent should go to anyone inside our country illegally for any reason.

If families cannot feed their children they should be put in homes that stop the cycle. No adults should be living off starving children.

Offices of our congressmen should be staffed by volunteers from back home. Cut the fat!

No money going to friends of politicians.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The fact that our troops are in other countries would be a huge benefit.

North Korea can't attack USA or South Korea because we're already right at their front door.
North Korea can't attack anyone, they are broke.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
To my liberal friends, please don't respond to this thread because I'm making a point, and I don't want this thread to get hijacked. You'll understand later. To my republican opponents, just tell me what spending you would cut to get to a balanced budget. its that simple. Have fun.
Lets start with a few simple ones.

Obamaphones
Require co-pays for Medicaid treatment
60% cut to flag level officers in the military
Eliminate "prevailing wage" requirements in all federal programs
Mandate that all public contracts go to the lowest bid, with performance penalties for failure to preform
Return federally owned land to the states, with the exception of National Parks, military bases and federal buildings. Then eliminate the Forest Service and BLM.
Eliminate the department of education, NEA, agriculture, heck nearly everything except defense, transportation (federal highways) and courts.
Eliminate most overseas military bases.
Allow the military to close US bases without the "blessing" and bargaining of congress.
Eliminate fish and wildlife services
Reduce funding of EPA by 60%
Eliminate federal student loan, HUD, section 8
Eliminate government support for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

That's a start, let me think about it some more.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:41 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
I'd cut everything. Across the board cuts until the budget is balanced. Problem solved.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:50 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
ok wher would you like to start since MANY programs could be cut or be eliminated:

dept of education......since education is funded by state and local, and curriculum is set by the states...why do we need a federal dept of education...and why would it need 7000 workers............................... yes some of it is grants etc like pell grants..but do you need 7000 people to process pell grants....budget for the doe is 90 billion

department of energy....16000 employees plus 94000 contractors ...with a budget sitting around 35 billion

Amtrak (part of the DOT's 130 billion dollar budget)...over 50 billion is allocated to HSR and Amtrak

department of interior....71,000 employees...

DOHUD.....11,000 employees....meanwhile it was HUD with fannie/Freddie that caused the housing bubble/bust

DOHHS....67,000 employees...with a budget near 100 billion...and that doesn't count medicare/Medicaid

DoL.......17,500 employees

DOA......105,000 employees....with a budget of over 150 billion

everyone of these could be cut by at least half

Old 12-29-2013, 05:52 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The fact that our troops are in other countries would be a huge benefit.

North Korea can't attack USA or South Korea because we're already right at their front door.
When did South Korea become our 51st state?

Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
We can have a strong military, one that wastes less money, and spends more on domestic and less on overseas missions. Rome had the strongest military of the time and even they couldn't maintain their strength after the legion had been dispersed across the known world. Wanting to bring our forces home and ending the overseas conflicts which are not, will not and can not enforce our values and way of life isn't weakening the military.

England and Russia have both failed to pacify Afghanistan and the Pax Americana isn't doing any better. Lots of money to be saved right there.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Cut.....haha, LMFAO!

The USAtard cannot even make a "cut" in a scheduled increase.......this steeenking country is basically headed towards ruin.

From a melting pot, into a chamber pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies