Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 03:07 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,263 times

Advertisements

So with all the health care debate going on right now, I have seen many people arguing back and forth. I think we can all agree changes are needed in our current system. The ACA is law at the moment and in my personal opinion, I hope that we can have a single payer system, nationally, and get rid of the for profit healthcare insurance companies (to me, the current system is like asking and arms dealer to broker a peace treaty) and to have true negotiating power to lower health costs.

However, Ive also seen arguments on a state by state basis for single payer. And in fact, a while ago, I asked about the possibility of states teaming up to create a regional single payer system and what would need to happen to occur.

However, I have thought of something else: a state public option. The ACA was supposed to have a public option but didn't. However could a state enact a public option and allow residents of that state to purchase public insurance? Its an idea that Im throwing out there. As in my other thread, this isn't about whether its a good idea or not, but is it possible and if so, how would it be set up. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
You can forget the single payer ;rejected and ACA adopted after Hillary failure her own party wouldn't vote for. Obama didn't even campaign on mandated coverage. Never any public option consider other than Medicaid ;so I think you were not pay attention. Even a nationwide system of exchanges was rejected as well as allowing employees to take their employer benefit and go out side to exchanges. Its exactly has intend with no input allowed by anyone but democratic leadership and we see the results. The only changes will be by presidential exemptions now the same who created a lot of them by implementations errors. Many don't even many taxes and fee coming thru 2018.Most liberals only know they want free coverage paid for by someone else.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:48 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
It could work in New England where there are very few minorities and many wealthy people, but it would be the death knell of states with the opposite demographics.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:33 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can forget the single payer ;rejected and ACA adopted after Hillary failure her own party wouldn't vote for. Obama didn't even campaign on mandated coverage. Never any public option consider other than Medicaid ;so I think you were not pay attention. Even a nationwide system of exchanges was rejected as well as allowing employees to take their employer benefit and go out side to exchanges. Its exactly has intend with no input allowed by anyone but democratic leadership and we see the results. The only changes will be by presidential exemptions now the same who created a lot of them by implementations errors. Many don't even many taxes and fee coming thru 2018.Most liberals only know they want free coverage paid for by someone else.
You really think single payer is dead? Proponents of single payer are laughing (including me) because we knew this law kept the for profit insurance companies and didn't allow for the government to negotiate on lower prices like every other first world country. In essence, this didn't solve the issue of accessing healthcare for all, making sure all Americans are insured at a reasonable price. Many more will be covered, but single payer would have been simpler and easier and accomplished the goal. The public option was a consideration when the creation of the ACA was being done but too many democrats didn't have the cajones to do so because of the fear of losing a reelection, and only looking out for themselves . So it never got included in the final bill. But I apologize, because I brought this up to see how it would work on state level (I thought the right loved state rights?) and not to respond to your rant with mine.

So again, this thread is about the possibility of including a Public Option at a state level in accordance with the ACA. How would it be done? Would things like interstate commerce or other federal laws prohibit it? Please chime in peeps as I would like to brainstorm about the idea. Thanks

Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
The insurance lobby, is paying off someone with this monopoly.
This is no less a Cartel.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:41 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It could work in New England where there are very few minorities and many wealthy people, but it would be the death knell of states with the opposite demographics.
This is correct. Nj would be in serious trouble. Our taxes are already ridiculous. We are the most populated state per acre. We simply can't afford to pay more money out of our pockets here.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM

26,466 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
You really think single payer is dead? Proponents of single payer are laughing (including me) because we knew this law kept the for profit insurance companies and didn't allow for the government to negotiate on lower prices like every other first world country. In essence, this didn't solve the issue of accessing healthcare for all, making sure all Americans are insured at a reasonable price. Many more will be covered, but single payer would have been simpler and easier and accomplished the goal. The public option was a consideration when the creation of the ACA was being done but too many democrats didn't have the cajones to do so because of the fear of losing a reelection, and only looking out for themselves . So it never got included in the final bill. But I apologize, because I brought this up to see how it would work on state level (I thought the right loved state rights?) and not to respond to your rant with mine.

So again, this thread is about the possibility of including a Public Option at a state level in accordance with the ACA. How would it be done? Would things like interstate commerce or other federal laws prohibit it? Please chime in peeps as I would like to brainstorm about the idea. Thanks
Insurance companies average around 4% profit margin, which is below the national average for all businesses. We will see if Obamacare changes this.

I agree with you though. Obamacare as of now does not accomplish its goals of lowering costs and having virtually everyone covered. It needs to be replaced with something better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies