Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,714,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Eeeesh...ok, that took care of snacking. ::folds up chip bag::

From other places I've read, the parents fed this girl solid food that she wasn't supposed to have and that caused all of the bleeding. Now their kid is dead and they are trying to shove nutrients in to her system...

Let this kid go, for cripe's sake! These parents did not listen to the doctors before, they are not listening now. They've done enough damage to the poor girl.

There are "underground rumors" that the extended family; basically camped out in Jahi's ICU room, encouraged Jahi to talk and laugh, shared food with Jahi that the family brought for themselves, and then the grandmother (who is a LPN) took it upon herself to vigorously suction Jahi when Jahi started choking on the food. This cause massive hemorrhage and Jahi literally choked to death on her own blood which was flooding her airway. The doctor's instructions were that Jahi should remain quiet and refrain from talking or eating after this surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,714,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A coma can commonly last a month or more. induced comas are also common. The actuaries in the insurance companies have coma accounted for, and this girl is getting the same treatment as if she was in a coma with severe restrictions. in terms of medical costs, this is one of the cheapest. No drugs, no feeding tube, no med drips. Nothing but a monitor and an air pump. She probably is not in intensive care.
The hospital won't waive all the costs, but it's likely they will waive some of them, just to free up the bed.

Costs are negotiated between hospitals and insurers constantly, all the time. Only the uninsured get slapped with the full bill, and it's bloated compared to the same bill that is sent to the insurers. Why? Numbers. Insurers' money is steady and stable, and keeps most of the hospitals in biz.

I had an emergency appendectomy last year. The bill that went to my insurer had large negotiated discounts to the insurance company on it, amounting to over $10,000. I would have paid the full tilt boogie if I had not had insurance; the full bill was around $25,000.
As it was, my part of the bill was only $300. The insurance took care of the rest. They probably pay for 4 or more appendectomies a week, and mine was typical. There were no unusual problems encountered.
So much wrong with your post. To begin: Jahi is not in a coma, she is brain dead, including her brain stem. When the brain stem is dead, the body begins to also die. Extreme measures must be instituted to slow the process of organ death and to provide the functions that the brain stem normally do for the body. This is as intense and expensive as medical care gets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies