Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times

Advertisements

It's always entertaining when people manifestly display their hopeless scientific ignorance - not to mention their ability to do basic math.

One can only wonder at the implication that the fact that there is ice near the poles somehow refutes global warming, which is nothing more than the well-documented observation that the average temperature of the Earth is rising. In places (such as the poles) where the mean temperature is well below freezing, it would require global warming of many tens of degrees before there is no more ice.

Understanding that doesn't require any great knowledge of global temperatures, just the ability to think with a modicum of logic and to do math at at least the fifth-grade level. Admittedly, that's asking far too much for many of those who revere ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
In man areas of MN, longer growing season corn was planted 35 years ago than what is planted today.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Whenever us "deniers" bring up cold weather we are ridiculed as not knowing the difference between climate and weather

Yet, when the weather is hot, global warming advocates will use...........that...........as evidence of global warming.

Happens all he time with meteorologists

Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
LoL, hottest days on record are a natural cycle...that it gets cold means global warming does not exist no matter the data supporting it.

Anyone who disagrees is part of the "liburllllllllll conspiracy!"

That kind of cherry picking is trolling by climate deniers where trolling and anger is all they have left.
And how far back does that record go?

Do we have 21st century thermometers with time travel capabilities going back further than 150 years in time to measure the temperatures of every space of the world during every conceivable time frame in the 4.5 billion year history of the planet?

We have no idea the hottest temps this earth has seen. Nor do we have a clue as to the coldest temps. We can speculate and make general educated guesses as to the ranges the temps might have been with wide margins of errors. But we truly have little clue about extremes this earth has seen, and making these stupid statements such as "Hottest on record", "extreme weather", etc. is ridiculous and insulting.

Just by merely saying "on record" is kinda stupid, considering the record is barely 0.0000033% of the Earth's history. And don't give me this crap about using ice core samples, tree rings, etc., to determine the max highs/lows or temperature records to the hundredths place on a thermometer, of any given day of history. I teach science for a living (for 2+ decades), and have forgotten more science than many of some of you in here have ever learned, & I know what the level of BS using the "on record" phrase is, concerning temps.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
I never stated I do not believe in Global Warming. What I don't believe is man made global warming or climate change.
Do you believe in global warming?

Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:

I know..I know...its climate change..

Dorothy ...Oh no.. Lions..Tigers...Bears..Climate change...Oh no Lions..Tigers...Bears..Climate change...

We've off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of climate change....

You would think if you want to be a climate change/global warming denier . . you would seek to at least understand the theory. . .

I mean you really have to be daft/not understand the principals of the theory to not know that warmer weather equals increased moisture. . .

or that the temperature will still fluctuate . . .

Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Quote:
I never stated I do not believe in Global Warming. What I don't believe is man made global warming or climate change.
Global warming is climate change, it is one of the ways climate can change is to warm. It's like saying you believe heat waves, but that tempature change is not real. That kind of reasoning is in need of medication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Global warming is a myth.
The theory of global warming is a myth like the theory of gravity, germ theory, and the theory of plate techtonics.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
When you bring in an airborne, omnipotent wizard with telepathic powers into a climate change debate, you. have. lost.
Not if they whine about Al Gore. When right-wingers whine about Al Gore, it makes their lies magically become true.

Or something.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:42 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You would think if you want to be a climate change/global warming denier . . you would seek to at least understand the theory. . .
The theory doesn't matter because right-wing denialism isn't based in facts. They will believe what they are told regardless of facts. That guy who said he's going to have faith in his tabloids even after being shown the claim was patently false is a good example.

Quote:
I mean you really have to be daft/not understand the principals of the theory to not know that warmer weather equals increased moisture. . .

or that the temperature will still fluctuate . . .
I chalk it up to dishonesty rather than ignorance. They know they're lying.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:52 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
From the link:

Over the last 40 years or so, this wind belt has been shifting south, and as a result caused massive disruption to the circulation of the Southern Ocean and climate of the region. The impacts over the next century are likely to be some of the most significant anywhere on our planet and could have global consequences. The effects of this marked shift in westerly winds are already being seen today, triggering warm and salty water to be drawn up from the deep ocean, melting large sections of the Antarctic ice sheet with unknown consequences for future sea level rise while the ability of the Antarctic Circumpolar Current to soak up heat and carbon from the atmosphere remains deeply uncertain.

So, do the scammers want to tell us that man-made CO2 is causing the wind belt to shift south?

Well, obviously, they do.
My question was why is the media covering up the purpose of the the ships voyage? The link is there to prove it is a mission to prove there is global warming and shrinking ice. You didn't answer my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies