Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:49 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

I think of this every time you post one of your rants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:44 AM

57 posts, read 134,815 times
I'm not going to wade through 10 walls of text from the same person opposing health care reform in the US.

It seems to me to be the height of arrogance and/or stupidity to believe that the USA alone (at least the half that votes for the GOP), of all the developed world, is right on this and everyone else is wrong.

Furthermore, this tiny minority is always eager to provide a slew of cautionary tales of woe about how awful it is in Canada, England, Australia etc and, yet, these countries for some inexplicable reason are so pig-headed that they refuse to trash their hated commie medicine. Every single modern western nation clings to this supposedly failed and unworkable model while the USA goes it alone - the beacon on the hill for the whole globe as their $11900 appendectomy bills (after insurance) and poor people who can't afford treatment only underscore what a success it all is compared to that terrible old national health care.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, that is moving the goal-posts. The definition of rationing is quite clear....

1] Scarcity of physical resources and a perceived need for their allocation
2] Waiting lists and long waiting times
3] Denial of treatment
4] Discrimination between patients regardless of need

Sources:

Allocating resources when their supply is limited (EIU Healthcare International)

The displacement of the interests of one group of patients by another (Spiers, J., The Realities of Rationing: ‘Priority Setting’ in the NHS, London)

How many of a given intervention will be provided, to whom, at what cost, and under what circumstances (Rationing Health Care, Brit. Medical Bull. 51)

Die kuenstliche Verknappung eines durchaus vorhandenen Angebots --- The artificial curtailment of supply when it is actually available (Cueni, T., Rationalisieren oder Rationieren?)

Try to keep your head in the game, yeah?

Are you denying that Canadians die in ERs?

I sure hope not, because that would be stupid.....

Life and death in Winnipeg's emergency rooms - Manitoba - CBC News

Dying in the ER after waiting 20-34 hours is a distinct possibility, is it not?

I guess it's a good thing Canada has only 30 Million people.

But who's counting?.....

Mircea

Rebuttal:

Are you denying that Americans are dying in ER waiting rooms or while being "dumped" onto other hosptials? I sure hope not that would be stupid.

Dying in the ER after a long wait is a distinct possibility is it not? Dying while pounding on the emergency room doors is also a distinct possibility.

Emergency Room Death Sparks Outrage - CBS News

Don't die waiting in the ER - CNN.com

Woman dies in ER lobby as 911 refuses to help - Health - Health care - More health news | NBC News

You'll very likely ignore these once again while continuing to bang on about Canada's inferior system.

Now how about these:

DEATH BY DENIAL - MURDER

http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/xbcr/...nceTactics.pdf

Oh I know; you'll call this deflecting and just move on won't you?

Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Rebuttal:

Are you denying that Americans are dying in ER waiting rooms or while being "dumped" onto other hosptials? I sure hope not that would be stupid.

Dying in the ER after a long wait is a distinct possibility is it not? Dying while pounding on the emergency room doors is also a distinct possibility.

Woman dies in ER lobby as 911 refuses to help - Health - Health care - More health news | NBC News

You'll very likely ignore these once again while continuing to bang on about Canada's inferior system.

Now how about these:

DEATH BY DENIAL - MURDER

Of course he won't address it and accuse you of deflection. You can set your watch by it.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Rebuttal:

Now how about these:

DEATH BY DENIAL - MURDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Of course he won't address it and accuse you of deflection. You can set your watch by it.
OK, you two, just ignore him. Many of us just scroll right over these posts.

The fact is, anyone can dig up horror stories like link #2 and #3 both in the US and Canada. In #3, the "patient" was arrested for a parole violation at the hospital. There was a lot more going on there than was reported. You also see a lot of "the parent stated", etc, meaning the info hasn't been verified. #4 and 5 are not about ERs, they are about insurance. I have no love for the insurance industry myself, but most of these stories are quite self-serving and don't provide all the information. I couldn't get #1 to open.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

The fact is, anyone can dig up horror stories like link #2 and #3 both in the US and Canada. In #3, the "patient" was arrested for a parole violation at the hospital. There was a lot more going on there than was reported. You also see a lot of "the parent stated", etc, meaning the info hasn't been verified. #4 and 5 are not about ERs, they are about insurance. I have no love for the insurance industry myself, but most of these stories are quite self-serving and don't provide all the information. I couldn't get #1 to open.
#1 is a video link to news of a woman finally falling out of her chair in a waiting room at Brooklyns' psych after waiting for 24 hours in that chair for treatment, she then laid on the floor while staff ignored her through her convulsions and ultimate death until fully an hour after her death someone nudged her with their foot.

I selected that post to specifically address Mircea's scurrilous "callous Canada" claims.

Nothing could possibly be more callous than the current debate featuring those who would maintain a system that deliberately leaves millions outside the gate while entrenching that "but it's my money you're using to help them" nonsense.

That is the true art of deflection as practiced by some.

Your post brings reason and sense back to this thread with it's proposition EVERY system has it's problems.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:11 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:

Everybody might not agree all the time on everything but what Mircea said about the American hospital association being a sort of monopoly and engaging in price fixing makes sense to me. No doubt the AHA has deep pockets to influence politicians no matter if they are a D or a R.

Everybody is looking out for their personal interests that is the nature, be it you, me a group of people, politicians or business and everybody has the potential to abuse power there just has to be balance in the system so no one becomes too powerful.

The other day on the radio I heard a local known lawyer saying tort reform is a scam that those beholden to business want so business can be less accountable for its actions. That may be true but at the same time that lawyer is looking out for his interests also so he isn't some do gooder taking on those evil corporations using law to reign them in because lawyers and their association tries to influence politicians for personal gain just like the American hospital association does.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
He said he'd be happy to see another poster die! I believe that is against the TOS.

You do understand what this means (addressed to weltschmerz):
And you, of all people, know what the protocol is when you think something is against the TOS.
Rather than point it out, which you always seem to do, which is considered off topic...a violation in itself... and further divert the discussion with 1000 more posts that are, REPORT IT!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And you, of all people, know what the protocol is when you think something is against the TOS.
Some people have "most favored poster" status around here, so the TOS isn't very applicable.

I just use the ignore function and proceed on my way.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:53 AM

525 posts, read 508,658 times
I'm sure someone mentioned this already in the 30 pages of responses but it should be noted just how screwed up this system is. I'm an actuary and I do this for a living for insurance companies daily. Notice that the tab has Aetna's portion subtracting around 40k...however it's says payments/ADJUSTMENTS. Basically what any insurer will do is call the provider and tell them what the bill should be and then they'll pay a small portion and tell you they've "addressed" 80% of the bill. So they truthfully negotiate about 70 percent of their responsibility and "pay" about 10%..so effectively you pay OOP much more than the insurer.

Notice on the back of the statement it says AETNA PPO PAYMENT and that is only like 6k...the rest is adjustments. That is all Aetna pays...the other amount is the negotiated price they basically take credit for as payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies