Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Good lord. What are people telling you? no Organic chemistry is NOT part of high school in China barring some private schools. And from my interactions while I was in China at manufacturing facilities there are some lacking parts in their understanding of physics. Trust me, the vast majority of Chinese coming out of their primary education average pretty close to the US students. Singapore and Japan are smacking us around hard, but not China.
Chemical Education in China

The Chinese education system is as follows:

Children learn some basic knowledge of chemistry in nature studies such as oxygen, nitrogen and petroleum when they are in primary school. The systematic chemical teaching begins in the third year of junior secondary school. In the first two years of senior secondary school, chemistry is the required course for every student, and it is also the examined course in the Minimum Competency Test. In the 3rd year of senior secondary school, chemistry is an optional course for the students, who are ready to participate the National Entrance Examination of science, engineering, agriculture and medical science. The test contents cover the syllabuses of all three years of chemistry courses.

There are chemistry or chemical engineering courses in specialized secondary and vocational schools with the aim of training technicians and technical workers in chemical industry. Such schools have more chemistry lessons with a higher level than those of ordinary secondary schools, these students learn inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry and principles of chemical engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Chemical Education in China

The Chinese education system is as follows:

Children learn some basic knowledge of chemistry in nature studies such as oxygen, nitrogen and petroleum when they are in primary school. The systematic chemical teaching begins in the third year of junior secondary school. In the first two years of senior secondary school, chemistry is the required course for every student, and it is also the examined course in the Minimum Competency Test. In the 3rd year of senior secondary school, chemistry is an optional course for the students, who are ready to participate the National Entrance Examination of science, engineering, agriculture and medical science. The test contents cover the syllabuses of all three years of chemistry courses.

There are chemistry or chemical engineering courses in specialized secondary and vocational schools with the aim of training technicians and technical workers in chemical industry. Such schools have more chemistry lessons with a higher level than those of ordinary secondary schools, these students learn inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry and principles of chemical engineering.
Go read what you just said.

Where is "organic chemistry" taught? ahhh right-specialized secondary and vocational schools.

I love your "dont argue with me" attitude. It just makes you look like even more of a jerk when your next post points out you are wrong. Thank you.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
[quote=stan4;32820777]
Americans are dumb. The top people are super top, but the average people...it is like shooting ducks in a barrel.
I remember visiting my aunt in India, and my cousin was doing organic chem homework... she was the equivalent of a 10th grader there. /QUOTE]

I did Organic Chem in 10th grade too, and I'm American. Wasn't in any fancy elite school either, just a regular public high school.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
BTW feel free to say "its offered", it is in fact offered at some schools, and IS part of the China entrance exams, it represents 15% of the chemistry section.

In the united states many high schools ALSO offer organic chemistry.

basic chemistry and physics are taught in US schools, as is organic chemistry as a option.

I know the Chinese often like to think of themselves as "better". they're not. I've been there, worked with them, and theyre about average.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
BTW feel free to say "its offered", it is in fact offered at some schools, and IS part of the China entrance exams, it represents 15% of the chemistry section.

basic chemistry and physics are taught in US schools, as is organic chemistry as a option.

I know the Chinese often like to think of themselves as "better". they're not. I've been there, worked with them, and theyre about average.
I took organic chem in high school too.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Go read what you just said.

Where is "organic chemistry" taught? ahhh right-specialized secondary and vocational schools.

I love your "dont argue with me" attitude. It just makes you look like even more of a jerk when your next post points out you are wrong. Thank you.
I just pointed out the fact that you lied. Don't panic.

I've told you I took it in high school in China and it is required for the college entrance exam. Don't you know high schools in China are all about preparing for the college entrance exam?
You were trying to tell me what high schools in China teach, but I graduated from schools in China. Don't you think it is ridiculous?

In high school chemistry, one semester is about organic chemistry. For those who want to study engineering and science in college, additional courses are taken.

Last edited by Bettafish; 01-02-2014 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:

Nobody said American students do not take it.
We are saying it is NOT REQUIRED for all. In China it is required for all (meaning you MUST TAKE IT EVEN IF YOU HATE IT), and those who want to go to college need to handle it well. That's it.

Organic chemistry is very easy anyway, way easier than high school math and physics. Indeed it is not necessary to make it a big deal.
The reason why I talked about it is that someone mentioned it.

No one said Chinese are superior, but the schools do push the average students harder. It is so obvious and is proved by so many independent tests and surveys.

Last edited by Bettafish; 01-02-2014 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies