Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:26 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
OK, so any ideas related to the op? What would happen if there was no health insurance? Any ideas on how things could work without it on a large scale?
Without insurance - if you can't pay your bills out of any savings then you are in debt. The creditor may give you terms or he may not. You may have to get a 3rd party loan to pay the creditor - but few lenders will give you a $50,000 unsecured loan to pay off an appendectomy. This is why other countries have gone the single payer route. The US is the outlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 01:32 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
What do you think would happen if we did away with health insurance as we currently know it? Would costs go down? How would the industry adjust? Any ideas on how to make it work without the insurance industry? Just curious as to people's thoughts on this and to see ideas on how to make things better.
To many people who won't be able to afford it there won't be insurance but talk about a double kick in the pants, they will pay a fine because they can't afford it.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Without insurance - if you can't pay your bills out of any savings then you are in debt. The creditor may give you terms or he may not. You may have to get a 3rd party loan to pay the creditor - but few lenders will give you a $50,000 unsecured loan to pay off an appendectomy. This is why other countries have gone the single payer route. The US is the outlier.

In a world without insurance, would an appendectomy cost $50,000?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:40 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I would guess with the Republican states starting first we would see debtor prisons. You can already be sent to jail for not paying child support and driving without insurance. So why wouldnt Republicans with the support of doctors, hospitals, and creditors establish debtor prisons. One year in prison until bill was satisfied would probably receive the support of most of the Tea Party types.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:41 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
To many people who won't be able to afford it there won't be insurance but talk about a double kick in the pants, they will pay a fine because they can't afford it.
Yeah, I'm one of those lucky people who will be losing my insurance shortly and since I can't afford a new plan and I will get to pay a fine. Good times.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
What do you think would happen if we did away with health insurance as we currently know it? Would costs go down? How would the industry adjust? Any ideas on how to make it work without the insurance industry? Just curious as to people's thoughts on this and to see ideas on how to make things better.
Well we could go with universal care and do away with it I guess.

But why would we do away with a product or service that has a sensible worthwhile need and demand? Where there is risk, risk to health, risk to livelihood and risk of one's wealth, there is the need for insurance.

Sure if enough or more people have insurance, costs will tend to rise. But that risk is offset by the gains, or no one would want or sell the insurance. And if no one cares to sell the insurance out of financial fear, yet the public still has the need and demands, a social plan may be developed to serve that unmet need.

Thus Medicare:

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/82/2/PHCBP.pdf

Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
In a world without insurance, would an appendectomy cost $50,000?
I'm sure if you can make it to one of several big city hospitals remaining in the US, they will do it for that price.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm one of those lucky people who will be losing my insurance shortly and since I can't afford a new plan and I will get to pay a fine. Good times.
So you are one of those responsible people who always paid and now because you can't afford to pay for you and someone else your screwed. I'm really hoping something is going to happen for the better for people in your situation.

You know, I thought it would be ok because Obama said "I could keep my insurance". Imagine my surprise when I found out my insurance was terminated because of Obamacare.

I got a termination letter but for some reason my insurance is being terminated Dec 2014. I will be cutting back even more trying to get ahead of it kind of as if I didn't already cut back.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:52 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Healthcare costs were significantly less pre-WWII before employers and insurance companies were involved.
ROTFLMAO. Oh, yes, let's go back to "the good old days", but why go back only to 1940? Why not go back to 1860 or 1800?

Old 12-31-2013, 01:54 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I am not sure, because it isn't the kind of thing a child or teenager worries about, but I don't remember my parents ever having health insurance. I am positive my Grand Parents did not.
But then, in the 1940s and '50s, not many people had homeowner's insurance or car insurance, either. I didn't know what "life insurance" was until I was a senior in high school.
Back then, an overnight stay in a hospital room often cost less than a good hotel room. Of course, PRIVATE rooms were rare then!
My parents had homeowners insurance. My dad had health insurance through his employer. We had car insurance, too. That was in the 1950s and 1960s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies