Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:54 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,715 times

Advertisements

Why can't same-sex attraction just be viewed as a simple random attraction such as somebody liking macaroni over pasta; or preferring cookies over brownies; or thinking audi's are cooler than infiniti's?

Why do people demonize this random preference that people have like it's so important?

It's so strange that there is this universal hate of people with this preference in almost every religion? Like really, it's so trivial and random!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:40 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Why can't same-sex attraction just be viewed as a simple random attraction such as somebody liking macaroni over pasta; or preferring cookies over brownies; or thinking audi's are cooler than infiniti's?

Why do people demonize this random preference that people have like it's so important?

It's so strange that there is this universal hate of people with this preference in almost every religion? Like really, it's so trivial and random!
A few millenia of Dogma is hard to overcome. Evolution is a slow but persistent.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:

I think for the most part, it already....is? Sure, we may take some shots here or there with humor but, no one is breaking down doors prying people apart, are they? We are mostly a nation of bluster. We hate what happened in Benghazi but have little intention of getting off of this couch to do much about it.

We'd rather flip the remote and let the platinum blondes on Fox and CNN duke it out. We're a nation of non-comittals quietly swallowing our pride and emotions at the behest of routine commentary.

And yet, we all have our opinions....don't we? I've yet to see 6 out if 10 know what arugula lettuce is but, it sounds gay and I think that is the point. We condem what we don't understand. My best advice is for "Steve" and "Kevin" be a bit more discreet in public. Exchanging tongue in public by heterosexuals is bad enough but, when two guys wrestling tongues the size of iguanas in public is a bit too much?

It evokes scary thoughts of men hung like a quart of milk...each...soon to be wrestling for position. Men are large and somewhat physical. Best to keep those physical attributes on a leash Bingo until you get behind closed mid-town doors.

It's not better for the chicks either. They tend to display more unsolicited hate towards "breeders" than anyone. When "Nancy and Barb" come into an establishment with their "man-pants" and hair that evokes, Lt Commander of a ship like profile, it can be a bit unnerving. At the very least, it may make one think their pogo stick is not up to the task or, at the vey least, not worthy and therefore, threatened.

In the end, no one REALLY cares whose lap you may lay in, they just don't want to see it. Suppose you are walking down a street in mid-town, with your kids. You know, a street that no one really does this on but always mentions it as a plus for owning a home in the area, and looks up at the disco ball going as "Steve and Kevin" are going at it. Do you A: call the police as it looks like someone is about to get stabbed to death by their partner's appendage or B: tackle your kids so they can make their own choices later in life?

The challenge is endless and confusing. You want to be nice to all but when your kid is about to witness an episode of Oz, you may have reservations. That's all I'm saying. Images last and the last thing I want them to see before I tuck them in is "Steve" arching back from "Kevin's" very real stick up job. Haunting....ain't it?

And when Nancy and Barb pair off, it can be every bit as scary as usually one or the other is going to work out some daddy or step daddy issues. Crime scene to be......

Now I love soap operas. Just like everyone and that new British briton something or the other is no exception. It's just that nancy and barbs version has no men and is played out with torn Levi's and casual shoes. Not as formal and yet more violent. After all, they aren't all the lipstick variety. It reminds me of two stylish mechanics who suddenly realize they are gay and immediately enter into a Greco-roman match with hands on heads and muscular legs vying for a toe hold for a flip.

It's all on the line and as much as you would like to watch, it wouldn't be proper on their corner. No telling where it would go and god help you if you are spotted.

Run forest, run!!!!

I'm not judging, just being realistic. Changes in society are usually slow in coming. Just 30 some odd years ago, Billie Carter was pissing in the white house bushes and how did that turn out? Sure, everyone does it but it doesn't always go as planned. Maybe this wasn't the best analogy and was completely unrelated but it's new years eve and I'm tired. You get the point.

In the 60's this would have caused a riot in some places so lets walk into this easily. There's still that aids stigma so tread and bone carefully. Tossing Vaseline potatoes at each other while odd, is not yet illegal so keep that in mind too.

To think that society will change overnight because you WANT it too is highly optimistic. Just ask the blacks. They even have soundtracks depicting "the struggle" along with popular hip hop tracks that would make any gangsta parent proud. See? Progress. With any luck, KD Lang, Helen Reddy, and Melissa Etheridge will be popular too some decade. Being 1-2 is not a bad start. Hang in there. There may come a day where certain zones will be declared safe for all gays. Complete with a street sign of two dudes holding hands and a thumbs up in the background.

Decatur is a good start.. Travel through and you can find he-she's and he-she wannabes everywhere prancing and shopping in harmony. Lots of pants and comfortable shoes for sale in every window and no one is beating them up, are they? Martinis are evrywhere as well as Audis, lexus' and bmw's and that god awful g wagon. All abound without incident. Parades are common albeit, low in attendance but Macy's parade started out small too. Sure.

In the end, try not to think so much. If you find that people are re-decorating their dens with he-she rugs, you know, maybe then? Until then, relax. Whichever human unit one chooses is their business. Even the pope is lightening up. The area has never been more gay friendly and you are not an endangered species. Far fom it the last time I travelled ITP. Just don't try to change it all overnight.

It took the blacks centuries to become glamorous, hip hop artists, complete dominators of all pro sports that matter, Miss America, accidental professionals, bad ass female singers living to at least 45 and elected President with the worst track record to date.

It's a start, It will take time.

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 12-31-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
Because religion.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:55 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:

It's only the people who are battling demons of their own that would hate another for something that doesn't even involve them...that's their folly...I feel more sorry for them than I do for the recipients of their misdirected angers...if they weren't hostile about "same sex" couples they'd find another reason to be angry.... in their feeble attempts to hide their own insecurities.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
It's only the people who are battling demons of their own that would hate another for something that doesn't even involve them...that's their folly...I feel more sorry for them than I do for the recipients of their misdirected angers...if they weren't hostile about "same sex" couples they'd find another reason to be angry.... in their feeble attempts to hide their own insecurities.
It's only the people who are battling demons of their own who think anybody gives 2 rips what they do and to whom. Believe me, nobody is angry (until some moronic outfit like glaaaad babbles and spews about something that doesn't involve them).

Like caleb said, we just don't want to see it. Keep your parades and flaunting inside your home and out of my face. And for the record, I don't want to see straights slobbering all over each other, either.

Thank you.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:22 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It's only the people who are battling demons of their own who think anybody gives 2 rips what they do and to whom. Believe me, nobody is angry (until some moronic outfit like glaaaad babbles and spews about something that doesn't involve them).

Like caleb said, we just don't want to see it. Keep your parades and flaunting inside your home and out of my face. And for the record, I don't want to see straights slobbering all over each other, either.

Thank you.

You're part of the problem. I don't want to see a lot of things. So I look elsewhere.
That's a lot different than telling people NOT to do something.
They're not trying to flaunt or parade in front of you. They're trying to become legal equals to you.
You do that by standing up and demanding the same rights as everyone else as demanded in the constitution.
Your mentality would have said the same thing years ago when black people stood up on the bus and decided to stop being treated like ****.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
I could care less who anyone else loves and is in a relationship with. (Except an adult and a minor...ewww!)

My taboos are: pedophilia, bestiality, incest, and abusive relationships

Being gay is not on my radar as being anything bad. I think people wrongly equate gayness and pedophilia. ( they are not the same AT all)

Old 01-01-2014, 04:34 PM
EA

Bestiality is allowed in more states than homosexuality...

Old 01-01-2014, 07:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
So society views man having sex with an animal less grossly offensive to the senses than a man having sex with another man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies