Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 10:04 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,902,731 times

Advertisements

The country is full of Varuca Salts. This is widespread and certainly does not apply only to those starting out. Much like the original Varuca those at the top are the real offensive ones.

It's no longer acceptable to put your money into the markets and put it to work and watch it grow over time. It has to create you vast riches right now and when it doesn't the markets stomp their feet and demands that the government do something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:14 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,911,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When you pay an unskilled worker $15/hour to park cars it certainly is.
Where is a car parker making $15 an hour? Where is $15 dollars an hour the minimum wage?

There is a wide range between $7.25 and $15.00. In the last 30 years, the MW went from 4.35 to 7.25. Lets wait another 30 years for the MW to be near $11 an hour.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 AM

169 posts, read 194,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Where is a car parker making $15 an hour? .
Any major city like Dallas. A Pizza delivery guy can easily make $15-25 an hour.

Car Parking and Delivery makes decent tip money.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:27 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,911,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrouble View Post
Any major city like Dallas. A Pizza delivery guy can easily make $15-25 an hour.

Car Parking and Delivery makes decent tip money.
the topic is minimum wage...keep up.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:03 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,169,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
What do you think will happen when companies are forced to pay higher wages?

They will adjust to protect their bottom line. Hire fewer employees, raise the price of the merchandise, hire illegals who are willing to work for less.
Illegals working at Walmart, McDonalds or other burger joints? Not around here.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM

1,074 posts, read 753,788 times
Quote:
Lets wait another 30 years for the MW to be near $11 an hour.
Well, you've finally posted something that makes sense!

Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,542,192 times
False dichotomy.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:21 PM

169 posts, read 194,495 times
Quote:
Where is a car parker making $15 an hour? Where is $15 dollars an hour the minimum wage?.
Quote:
the topic is minimum wage...keep up.
hey just trying to answer your silly question.

Car parkers make their money on tips just like waiters and Pizza dudes.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 5,745,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The time to think about minimum wages is when you're jerking around in high school. Remember "Scared Straight" when they took those kids to prisons and let the convicts scare the bleep out of them? Maybe it's time to take the preteen slackers on a field trip to minimum wageville and let the older workers tell the kids how they screwed up in school and with whom they hung around and wound up where they are now in life.
You bring up -- as you often do -- an interesting point.

I like the concept of a "Financial Scared Straight" program so much that I've used it on my kids for years. Schools don't teach the concept of "wages, income, savings, opportunity costs, etc." for whatever reason, and I think that's a massive disservice. In the last 20 years (since my kids were little), schools have been more obsessesed with EOG ("end of grade") testing, etc, as we win that "Race To The Bottom" by "Leaving No Child Behind".

Unfortunately, schools would likely botch what you are proposing, or water it down with PC so much that it wouldn't be worthwhile. I remember discussing the perils of minimum wage with my son when he was around 12. It was after Katrina destroyed an area that is surrounded by water on three sides, and gas prices shot up literally overnight due to "pipeline issues". I remember asking my son what happens when your minimum wage income stays the same, but gas prices increase sharply. His response still makes me shake my head to this day:

"You're screwed."

Old 01-02-2014, 02:25 PM

1,074 posts, read 753,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Apparently Americans have not been working hard in the past three decades.

Let's see ... three decades, that would take us back to 1984. Ronald Wilson Reagan was President. Reagan's economic policies brought us 96 straight months of economic expansion. I was doing very well in those days, and so were many others. Unemployment was low, too. Reagan brought us out of the Carter years of a stagnant economy. Business was booming.

The problem we have today isn't that the minimum wage needs to be raised. Our problem is a stagnant economy, caused by Obama's failed economic policies, and especially ObamaCare, which raises the cost of doing business substantially. Businesses can't hire, let alone pay higher wages, with so much uncertainty.

If we had an expanding economy, there would be more opportunity for people at all income levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies