Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 01:33 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times

Advertisements

Per the OP - it's a false dilemma premised on the lady behind the counter being somehow innately entitled to some amorphous, never-well-defined thing called "living wage" and that if the employer does not pay said living wage, then the taxpayers must.

One must first accept the implied premise that everyone "deserves" (otherwise known as "is born with the natural right to") some standard of living and a wage that provides it, regardless of their individual level of input into their own survival and pursuit of happiness. And to accept that, one must accept that men must either enslave or be enslaved by other men, and that none of us has a choice in the enslavement paradigm.

Sorry, but I reject the premise that someone must be enslaved to the lady behind the counter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 01:38 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
"This is the question the right has to answer. Do you want smaller government with less handouts, or do you want a low minimum wage? Because you cannot have both. If Colonel Sanders isn't going to pay the lady behind the counter enough to live on, then Uncle Sam has to, and I for one am getting a little tired of helping highly profitable companies pay their workers.: ~ Bill Maher

Bill Maher Minimum Wage New Rules 10/25/2013 - YouTube
typical fascist liberal thread....FAILURE

eliminate welfare...and let the states or local set min wage...not the federal government...its a big country...lots of variances in cost of living.....the liberals will never understand one size does NOT fit all

Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texwalker_ranger View Post
It is more than fair to say that most right-wingers subscribe to the belief that one's economic lot in life is mostly due to effort or lack thereof. You will see that on display in this very thread. Like so many other things, it is not based upon data or statistical analysis, but upon what they feel to be true, what they wish to be true and what they've been taught to believe.
And what many Conservatives have actually done themselves.
Contrary to the opinions of those on the Left, many Conservatives WORKED their way to where they are in life, some of us from very modest beginnings with little help from others or the government.

I myself used to be more left leaning until I realized that relying on others was going to get me exactly no where.

When you pull yourself up from nothing, you tend to have a less sympathetic view of others who always seem to find a reason why they can't do this or can't do that.

I used to work for minimum wage, but I was damned if I was going to stay there or go on public assistance.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
No, it's not. You want poor people to die alone in the gutter.
You must be speaking for yourself. That is not what I wish for anyone.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
WTH? I support employers paying a fair wage. That is what this thread is about, remember?
$8/hr is fair for many jobs.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:19 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
WTH? I support employers paying a fair wage. That is what this thread is about, remember?
Fair is that to which the employee & employer agree. Anything else is interference with the free market.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 01-02-2014 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Fixed grammatical error

Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Fair is that to which the employee & employer agree. Anything else is interference with the free market.
A completely free market would probably not be what you think it would be. Seriously.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
"This is the question the right has to answer. Do you want smaller government with less handouts, or do you want a low minimum wage? Because you cannot have both. If Colonel Sanders isn't going to pay the lady behind the counter enough to live on, then Uncle Sam has to, and I for one am getting a little tired of helping highly profitable companies pay their workers.: ~ Bill Maher

I think the government should set minimum annual wage of $500,000 for comedy writers, cable TV cameramen, make-up artists, staff, body guards, and everyone else that is employed by Maher or employed to support his show. Why should the entertainment industry get to define pay scales, that is obviously the federal government's job

Old 01-02-2014, 06:27 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:

you lost me at bill maher..........

Old 01-02-2014, 06:45 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The time to think about minimum wages is when you're jerking around in high school. Remember "Scared Straight" when they took those kids to prisons and let the convicts scare the bleep out of them? Maybe it's time to take the preteen slackers on a field trip to minimum wageville and let the older workers tell the kids how they screwed up in school and with whom they hung around and wound up where they are now in life.
So you are assuming all minimum wage earners are ex-convicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies