Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:09 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why are things costing too much? Is is because most wages haven't kept up with the cost of living?
What do you think will happen when companies are forced to pay higher wages?

They will adjust to protect their bottom line. Hire fewer employees, raise the price of the merchandise, hire illegals who are willing to work for less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Please feel free to discuss the cause of this faltering economy.
I am.

Median Real disposable household income has been declining steadily over the long term since 2000 and that decline has accelerated since 2008, at a rate between 1-2% per year.

It is no coincidence that this is the same time period that the government started their massive welfare programs for Wall Street.

Your author is a moron on top of everything else.

As a result of the continuing corporate tax cuts since 2008 at all levels of government, Corporate After-Tax profits recovered even faster during the recent recession than did pre-tax corporate profits. From a 2008 low-point of $746 billion, in less than 18 months from the recession low, after tax profits rose to $1.454 trillion—i.e. a level of 47% higher than even their 2007 pre-recession record of $989 billion. In other words, after tax profits recovered twice as fast as pre-tax profits as a direct consequence of government business tax cutting during the recent recession.

What corporate tax cuts? Do you mind listing these for me?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here's a helpful hint for you: if you want an intelligent debate, don't start it by blaming the other side for a "quagmire" that your side has created.
Am I mistaken? Is it not the Republicans against raising the minimum wage and is it not the Republicans who are also against entitlement programs?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:13 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,732 times
Quote:
I vote for employers to hand out money to their employees who have earned it.
If they earn it, it isn't a hand out, and that is called a merit raise. I used to get raises regularly when I was employed and paid hourly. I always worked hard so that when review time came along, I would be seen as worth an increase in pay. I always got a raise. Eventually, I was given a salaried position in the marketing department.

That's how it works.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Is that why the right does not support increasing the minimum wage? So that these Wall Street executives can keep the money they received as a bailout to themselves?

I thought the right was in favor of that trickle down economics.
You don't know what the term means.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What do you think would happen to the cost of things if we could reduce the $1T a year we spend on welfare programs? Clearly you cant comprehend that raising taxes, and thus federal welfare and other spending, causes prices to increase more than they outherwise would need to, can you?

Why dont we just make minimum wage $100 an hour? If its either raising the minimum wage, or increasing welfare, then clearly according to you, raising it as high as possible would decrease the need for welfare all together, right? FAIL
Your hyperbole argument about either paying a $100/hr or not increasing minimum wage is like saying, "either we send them lobster and caviar to eat, or we let them starve to death."

Is the $100 remark another Fox News logic?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
If you want to debate this topic intelligently, instead of slewing insults, you might add to this topic.

Right now, your posts are nothing but abusive noise.
And what do you call yours? Intelligent?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:19 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
I'm wondering if it's possible to have an intelligent conversation about anything Bill Maher says.

Quote:
You bring nothing to the table but insults. First, state your position (insulting others is not a position). Then back up your position with facts and sources - not insults.

How can anyone have a discussion with someone whose only contribution to an issue is personal insults?
What is your position, except that the minimum wage should be raised? What are your facts to support your reasoning? I haven't seen any facts presented in support of an increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bill Mayer is an employee of a billion dollar corporation, and the "employees" would also work for the same billion dollar corporation, not Bill Maher
I don't know. I'll bet Bill Maher pays someone clean his house, be his body guard, etc......

No word that Maher has hired illegal aliens so that he can pay them almost nothing.

Romney Explains Record of Hiring Illegal Immigrants as Lawn Keepers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies