Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
It must be nice to be this naive. Let's just say that the District Attorney's office never lies, hides evidence, or coaches witnesses.
Let's presume the police don't have cases to close out and don't have a prejudiced, jaded, or dishonest bone in their body, so of course they would not lie under oath.
Let's say that an eyewitness can never be mistaken.

I'm just glad we now have DNA tests that have let MANY innocent people out of prisons for crimes they did not commit, people that YOU would say belonged in prison.

Yes, I'm black and no I'm not on probation, in jail, or committing crimes.
Apparently in April the 200th person has been exonerated through DNA.

Scheck said the "typical" DNA exoneration case has not changed much over the years. It often involves a sex crime allegedly committed by a black man in which the white victim is often the only witness, he said.

DNA to clear 200th person - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 PM

383 posts, read 722,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
If you lived in a community that was 99% black and there weren't any robberies, rapes or the like, that community was either very, very rural or it existed in La La land.
Wow that has to be the most racist and ignorant comment i have EVER heard. I do understand if you don't have black friends and don't ecounter blacks alot. And the only time you see blacks are on the news. You said you have a black family in your neighboorhood, and you have no problems with that family. So why would you think similar blacks families can't live in a area and there would be no crime. Come on you don't think its at least one upper middle class black neighboorhood or suburb in all of the united states. If you go to la, atl, dc, there are areas or neighboorhoods where its 99% black and upper middle class or wealthy. Not all black ppl with money have to move into white suburbs, there are wealthy black areas in america. I live in charlotte, and have family in augusta, ga. These smaller cities even have areas, why wouldn't you think atlanta, dc, or la wouldnt have whole suburbs or large neighboorhoods. Thats why alot of ppl who are wealthy and black are moving to atlanta. You don't have to live around white ppl and still live in the suburbs. Of course small towns, dont have these areas but most small to large cities definitely do.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
SHHHHHHHHH.

which leads me to another though---why are kids so tough these days? their toughness is defined by limitless boundaries. they will put a bullet into the back of your head, without a 2nd thought.

this was not the case in the 50s or 40s or 30s.
these kids, who do this, should personally be shot. Its funny, cause it takes a lot more work to better society, than to destroy it. Entropy people.
Reminds me of an article I read some time back, by an "old con"--in his 40's, who had been locked up most of his adult life. He wrote words to the effect that "Back in my day, we thought we were tough--and we were. I shot a couple of people myself, and I've been in and out of here for years, and I've had to be a tough "M F" just to survive in here.

"But these NEW KIDS coming in just terrify me. They are SO hard, so cold, and their eyes are so lifeless, that they don't seem quite human, as if they have no souls. Quite honestly, lots of us 'tough old guys' in here are scared to death of the 'new guys'. They give the impression that they could kill you without a second's hesitation."...

Don't remember the rest of what the guy said, but it sounds like what you're talking about.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:01 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,164,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoeboy View Post
If you go to la, atl, dc, there are areas or neighboorhoods where its 99% black and upper middle class or wealthy. Not all black ppl with money have to move into white suburbs, there are wealthy black areas in america. I live in charlotte, and have family in augusta, ga. These smaller cities even have areas, why wouldn't you think atlanta, dc, or la wouldnt have whole suburbs or large neighboorhoods. Thats why alot of ppl who are wealthy and black are moving to atlanta. You don't have to live around white ppl and still live in the suburbs. Of course small towns, dont have these areas but most small to large cities definitely do.
Ahem, scratch LA off your list. LA doesn't have any 99% black areas -- good ones or bad ones. LA is very "diversified" and doesn't have any 99% white areas either. If you want to find a place with 30% this, 40% that, 20% something else... well, that would be LA. (Even Compton, which you would think would have more blacks since it's mentioned in gangster rap, is only 40% black.)

Last edited by UB50; 12-08-2007 at 06:33 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Apparently in April the 200th person has been exonerated through DNA.

Scheck said the "typical" DNA exoneration case has not changed much over the years. It often involves a sex crime allegedly committed by a black man in which the white victim is often the only witness, he said.

DNA to clear 200th person - USATODAY.com
That article was interesting.

I had a roommate years ago who was raped by a tall, good-looking, blond-haired, blue-eyed white man. He left fingerprints all over including the window sill where he climbed in the house. We didn't know him. We went to trial and he was not convicted. I've often wondered if DNA had been available back then if he would have been convicted.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallredhead View Post
I have seen many poor larger small towns that are heavily white with high crime rates OUTSIDE metro areas, -or within small ones. Oroville, California, and Eureka, California come to mind but I have seen many others, too. Oroville is a small town near Chico in California's sacramento valley that is very high in crime, -lot's of meth use.
Hehe! This is funny to me because I never noticed this before! I just checked the City-Data crime stats for Eureka (78% white, population 26k) and El Monte (70%+ Hispanic, population 115k) -- and the crime rate for Eureka is double the crime rate of El Monte! El Monte is actually below the national average.

You would think, just from the population stats, etc., that Eureka would be a much safer city and it's NOT!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Hehe! This is funny to me because I never noticed this before! I just checked the City-Data crime stats for Eureka (78% white, population 26k) and El Monte (70%+ Hispanic, population 115k) -- and the crime rate for Eureka is double the crime rate of El Monte! El Monte is actually below the national average.

You would think, just from the population stats, etc., that Eureka would be a much safer city and it's NOT!
Meth tends to 'equal' out things--------it is definitely a 'White Boy/American Indian' drug which would include most Hispanics as well (that comment coming from a White person). Evil, evil stuff.

I rarely hear about Black or Asian people messing with it.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:45 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:

Have you ever BEEN to Eureka? If you had, YOU'D probably abuse drugs, too!

Seriously, though, Eureka is a depressed "timber" town. Much of the remoter parts of the Pacific Northwest do seem to have a severe "meth" problem. Many of these "mill towns" have been devastated (no doubt pemanently) by the decline of the lumber industry.

In addition, in my OWN opinion, Eureka and Crescent City probably have the most DEPRESSING climates this side of the Aleutians. Pretty much gray most of the year, 50 degrees all winter, 60 degrees all summer, VERY little sunshine, and fog most of the time. I actually think it's slightly "drearier" even than nearby Oregon, due to ocean currents.

Don't know if this explains the "meth" problem. Just my own opinion.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 PM

Eureka always looks beautiful to me, kind of like "fairy forest storybook" land. El Monte, which is far more industrial and smoggy, seems like it would be more depressing.

I spent a little bit of time looking at the crime rates for various places around the US: Kansas City, Omaha, Minneapolis, Milwaukee -- they are all higher crime compared to Los Angeles and New York City. They also have higher white populations than LA and NYC. I don't know why this is.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:50 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Eureka always looks beautiful to me, kind of like "fairy forest storybook" land. El Monte, which is far more industrial and smoggy, seems like it would be more depressing.

I spent a little bit of time looking at the crime rates for various places around the US: Kansas City, Omaha, Minneapolis, Milwaukee -- they are all higher crime compared to Los Angeles and New York City. They also have higher white populations than LA and NYC. I don't know why this is.
Maybe because LA and NYC both have higher numbers of illegal immigrants and they are much less likely to report crimes in fear of deportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies