Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yeah my wife loves sports just as much as I do. Our daughter will likely grow up a sports fan as well.
Those who like sports like competition in nature (the reverse is not necessarily true).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 02:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Well, just to throw a wrench into things …

My hubby sits and watches football, and I love it. Because *I* love football, too. In fact, he's a convert to my beloved Patriots. He also goes to the ballet with me, because I love that as well.

So with all the divergent opinions on this thread, I can't even figure out if all this makes him a real man, or not, or whether it makes me a real woman, or not.
I guess I know what you'll be doing next Saturday evening. This Saturday evening, I'm going to whoop it up with a bunch of friends (men AND women - actually come to think of it, more women in the group than men) watching the SAINTS - GEAUX, BOYS!

And I introduced my husband to classical music and he turned into a Mozart fan!

Hey, funny story and it's sort of an aside, but my son in law is a big Patriots fan. Of course, I go against my own belief system and buy him Patriots paraphernalia for holidays and birthdays...it just about kills me but I do it. But you know what I bought, err, my daughter? Two beautiful lamps for their living room - with fleur de lis lampshades! LOL and they look so good in there that she won't let her husband move them! Also, I always send her Saints stuff - for the house - coasters, little fleur de lis doo dads, etc - and she loves them. I have my ways...

But it's all in good fun! I sent my son in law, who loves to cook, a sandwich thingie that toasts sandwiches with a Patriots emblem on them, for Christmas - LOL!

Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
I guess these guys missed your chest pounding post:

Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

The food you eat has nothing to do with masculinity. Eating a lot of meat doesn't make someone a man. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian but I wouldn't ever think someone who was either one was less of a man than I.
I disagree.

REAL MEN DO NOT EAT QUICHE!

Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
With all the liberal freaks chemically castrating our children with Ritalin in order to force compliance, is it any wonder they grow up to be metrosexuals that cry big crocodile tears at the drop of a hat, like Speaker Boehner?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I look all around me, in my college town, and on TV, and see pretty boys who think that they have to dress like a fashion model, shave their chest and sport a six pack to get female attention.
Hardly contagious but that doesn't seem to keep you from looking.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,401 times
I own one suit. I go to weddings (begrudgingly) and funerals in it. I wear jeans daily and button down shirts. If it's hot, I wear t-shirts. I wear boots to work in and sneakers to relax in. I take a bath at least daily and if I have been working I might take at least two. I get dirty and my hands have callouses. I don't have a six pack, but I don't have big gut. I don't really pay much attention to any of it. I am what I am. I hunt, fish and work on my old antique cars. I don't try to be a role model, I just try to be the best me I can be. I was raised in the south so it has always been appropriate to open doors for a woman and always to walk on the street side. Most men I see are not that much different from me. I don't live in Chicago, or New York or even Dallas. You dress appropriately for what you do. Some things never change. Just live in your own world and choose your own reality.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:10 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I guess I know what you'll be doing next Saturday evening. This Saturday evening, I'm going to whoop it up with a bunch of friends (men AND women - actually come to think of it, more women in the group than men) watching the SAINTS - GEAUX, BOYS!

And I introduced my husband to classical music and he turned into a Mozart fan!

Hey, funny story and it's sort of an aside, but my son in law is a big Patriots fan. Of course, I go against my own belief system and buy him Patriots paraphernalia for holidays and birthdays...it just about kills me but I do it. But you know what I bought, err, my daughter? Two beautiful lamps for their living room - with fleur de lis lampshades! LOL and they look so good in there that she won't let her husband move them! Also, I always send her Saints stuff - for the house - coasters, little fleur de lis doo dads, etc - and she loves them. I have my ways...

But it's all in good fun! I sent my son in law, who loves to cook, a sandwich thingie that toasts sandwiches with a Patriots emblem on them, for Christmas - LOL!
See, it's all good.

Love the lampshade idea … and the sandwich thingie. Want one.

We have so much in common, so there's no need to hate on rival teams or their fans.

Except the Jets. I hate the effin' Jets.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Last night I had a young man need to leave early. He was having an emotional breakdown.. His words. The trigger was that he heard that it was going to go below 0 and he was worried about his cat that he left outside. Yeah he is 100% a hello kitty and yes I denied him vacation time. He got an incident which put him over the time allowed. The only thing I feel bad about is that a grown 24 year old man would put his job in jeopardy so easily. Well that and the fact I am stuck with him on my team.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:15 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Exactly. The concept of manhood has been so washed down and cheapened that it is not even recognizable anymore. In my eyes what makes a man is someone who is willing to live with the consequences of his actions, take care of his responsibilities, and love and care for his wife and family (if he has one). How these are accomplished are different from man to man and there is no defined path. How a man wears his hair, what he eats, his music preferences, or what sports he likes or doesn't like have no impact on his masculinity.
Yea, it's certainly a case by case thing. So many factors figure in. Environment, living conditions, lifestyle, relationships, personality, on and on it goes. There are some silly myths about manhood, such as real men don't cry, a real man is in total control of his lady, what he says goes, sensitivity is weakness, apologizing to yout girl, even when you're wrong, is weakness, physical stature and prowess makes more of a man, again, could go on forever.

One common quality, that I feel real men share, is courage. The ability to face and control fear and carry on regardless. Its actually rather surprising what thinvs that seem so small can cause a man fear, and takes serious effort to get past. _a biggy is opening up and talking about your feelings with your mate. Lol, it's quite amazing the fear that simple sounding thing can inspire.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I disagree.

REAL MEN DO NOT EAT QUICHE!
Right!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies