Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Our Veterans And Our Men And Women In The Military Face Budget Cuts
Yes 19 46.34%
No 18 43.90%
Other 3 7.32%
Not Sure 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

As a veteran, I say the Defense budget is horribly bloated and needs deep cuts in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As a veteran, I say the Defense budget is horribly bloated and needs deep cuts in some areas.
As one veteran to another, could you elaborate on what cuts you think appropriate? Thank you.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
I voted No
Re-Negotiate the Price of 50 Dollar Hammers and Millions of Dollars of other Military Equipment with Crony Capitalists and if they don't like it, tell them to go pound sand and open a new contract with someone that can do it cheaper.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine69to71 View Post
Should Our Veterans And Our Men And Women In The Military Face Budget Cuts

Schumer: Veterans — Not Congress — Must Face Budget Cuts

Schumer: Veterans

as long as every other department gets a 50% cut in budget, then I see no reason why the military budget cant be cut.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I'm a veteran (not a lifer) and I know for a fact that we could EASILY defend our nation and its interests on 1/1,000,000,000,000 of the current amount spent. A few nuclear weapons on submarines, plus trade sanctions, is enough to stop ANY nation from doing ANYTHING we don't like. As for the ridiculous power projection that sends warships around the world, the pointless foreign wars, and hundreds of thousands of servicemen and women stationed around the world, they accomplish NOTHING other than feeding money to the Military Industrial Complex and inciting terrorism.

Of course, the REAL problem is that despite spending MORE money on our empire military than all the other militaries of the world put together, we don't even try to defend our borders. Immigration restrictions are a joke and illegals have no problem coming here and even signing up for welfare benefits.

As to contractual obligations, they CEASE when you have a bankruptcy or even a legal "change of control." In fact, I know of one $1 billion+ corporate pension fund that was legally stolen by a Robber Baron CEO who orchestrated a faux "change of control" that never actually took place--nullifying the vested pensions of thousands of employees. So while I would agree that military pensions are the LAST things that should be cut in our bloated military budget, they are not untouchable--because our nation IS bankrupt and totally unable to pay the promised retirement benefits of all the government employees (let alone the promised Social Security benefits the Baby Boom ALREADY paid for).
Excellent Post.

The Elite want us (formerly military) to enforce their financial interests across the globe. Defending the nations borders against immigrants go against their financial interests. It is not my nor other's citizens responsibility to shell out tax dollars that only go to enrich the top elites.

If they wish to do business overseas within hostile regions, THAT is their Responsibility.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Is that the new con meme? Because it's freakin' hilarious, coming from a party that lives and dies by destroying unions and the contracts that they negotiate with employers.
And supporting Bankers Contract Bonus's on Wall Street during the Bail Outs

Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
I have no problem cutting things like wars and tanks, etc. However we should NEVER cut veterans benefits or military pay or things like that. Veterans are more important than welfare queens.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:00 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Absolutely not!

To cut Veteran retirement pension or any kind of benefits is lying and stealing.

Retirement benefit or any kind of military benefits are NOT gift, freebies, bonus. It is already EARNED.

If they (politicians from both parties) cannot fulfill their promises to the men and women in the Military, maybe they shouldn't have promised them BEFORE they joined.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
as long as every other department gets a 50% cut in budget, then I see no reason why the military budget cant be cut.
Cutting military budget and cutting VETERAN retirement pension and military benefits are two completely different things.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Absolutely not!

To cut Veteran retirement pension or any kind of benefits is lying and stealing.

Retirement benefit or any kind of military benefits are NOT gift, freebies, bonus. It is already EARNED.

If they (politicians from both parties) cannot fulfill their promises to the men and women in the Military, maybe they shouldn't have promised them BEFORE they joined.
Outside of your pay and medical care, military members were promised a grand total of NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies