Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:56 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times

Advertisements

Oops. Another leetle problem with Obamacare. Did you just have a baby? Get married? Change jobs? Get a raise that might change your subsidy status? Get your hours changed (I hear that's happening a lot now)?

Should be no problem. Just log on to the Obamacare site, enter the new information, they system will adjust to it, and you're done. Right?

Except... there's nowhere in the Obamacare site to put in the new information, or make such changes.

So, who's going to pay for the care for that new baby, while the govt straightens that out? The baby won't wait, you know. Whose problem is it, to take care of these demands right now?

You guessed it.

Well, they'll probably get around to it, eventually. As soon as they get everything else fixed.

But this is America. If you don't like the way this is being handled by the present system, you can just go to the competition. Can't you?

Except... there isn't any competition. Not any more.

You only THOUGHT this was America. It isn't as much "America" as you thought. Not any more.

Happy new year, in this Brave New World.

---------------------------------------------

APNewsBreak: Adding a new baby to plan not easy

APNewsBreak: Adding a new baby to plan not easy

by RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR
10 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — There's another quirk in the Obama administration's new health insurance system: It lacks a way for consumers to quickly and easily update their coverage for the birth of a baby and other common life changes.

With regular private insurance, parents just notify the health plan. Insurers will still cover new babies, the administration says, but parents will also have to contact the government at some point later on.

Right now the HealthCare.gov website can't handle such updates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
OH NO

They are making people call their insurer to add the baby immediately

OH MY GOD

the horror

Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM

878 posts, read 942,168 times
Forgive me if I don't get all upset. "Parents," get a lot of gimmes anyway, so while I support the ACA, as a childfree person tired of subsidizing parents, I can't get very worked up about this.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:18 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
There is a lot that bothers me about the ACA, but this isn't part of it. It's just another reason I can give to NOT get married..

Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
If I was to get married or have a baby, I would have to fill out loads of paperwork and also call my current insurer. Who just logs onto a website to do such things?

Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
lol.

Obamacare is the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
OH NO

OH MY GOD

the horror
Which is what always had to be done! You call the insurer or if it's through your employer, inform HR. If pregnancy is covered, which apparently it has to be under the ACA, the newborn is usually covered for the first 30 days anyway.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
How is it different than now? "Qualifying events" right? No need to go to any "obamacare website" when you already picked your insurance company and are now doing business with THEM. I'm super confused. It's like saying you should go to ehealthinsurance to add your newborn instead of directly to the insurance company....

Old 01-04-2014, 03:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
OH NO

OH MY GOD

the horror
LOL..reading comprehension is very important in life.

It's not the insurer, it's the government that has to be notified of a change in status now and the government doesn't have any software to deal with that.

Next time read more slowly so you understand what the issue is.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..reading comprehension is very important in life.

It's not the insurer, it's the government that has to be notified of a change in status now and the government doesn't have any software to deal with that.

Next time read more slowly so you understand what the issue is.
Why does the govt. have to be notified? The article doesn't make sense. The govt. is not the insurer, except for Medicaid (and Medicare, but those people are not having babies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies