Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times

Advertisements

With people finding they basically don't have insurance for the small stuff and they will have to pay for it up to a limit, will people start to shop around for low cost service?

I think this is the start of the Home Depot style of Healthcare coming on the market, to target those looking for very low cost medical services.

As it was, before the mandate and the insurance companies change policies to higher co-pay, deductibles, and out of pocket, did you know up front what it cost for your doctors appointment? NO, no you didn't.
You just let the doctors staff handle the insurance... which requires more staff, which equals more cost to staff the paper pushers. Charge the max the insurance will pay, no matter what. Up and up go your insurance premiums...

Now you have mandated the monopoly.
Monthly budgets get crushed if you get sick, or you don't go to the doctor because you cannot afford the office visit that week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
With people finding they basically don't have insurance for the small stuff and they will have to pay for it up to a limit, will people start to shop around for low cost service?

I think this is the start of the Home Depot style of Healthcare coming on the market, to target those looking for very low cost medical services.

As it was, before the mandate and the insurance companies change policies to higher co-pay, deductibles, and out of pocket, did you know up front what it cost for your doctors appointment? NO, no you didn't.
You just let the doctors staff handle the insurance... which requires more staff, which equals more cost to staff the paper pushers. Charge the max the insurance will pay, no matter what. Up and up go your insurance premiums...

Monthly budgets get crushed if you get sick, or you don't go to the doctor because you cannot afford the office visit that week.
that's how it should be. Americans complained about so-called "death panels", so, the alternative is for people to ration their own care via their budgets. it costs everyone when these morons show up at the emergency room with a case of the sniffles.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

That's a great argument to go to single payer health care.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Actually, it's a great argument to get insurance companies out of every day health care and only have them around for catastrophic coverage.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
that's how it should be. Americans complained about so-called "death panels", so, the alternative is for people to ration their own care via their budgets. it costs everyone when these morons show up at the emergency room with a case of the sniffles.
Medicaid recipients do that because it costs them nothing. Obamacare has increased the amount of people on Medicaid. Guess what will happen to medical care costs when those expenses get shifted to those who actually have to pay for their medical care.

Study: Expanding Medicaid doesn’t reduce ER trips. It increases them.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I have believed for a long time that "health insurance" should have been structured to pay for high cost medical services. Routine services should be paid for at cost.

Insurance acts as a giant mask over the true cost of medical care. Hospitals, doctors, pharma, etc. all hide behind insurance have no responsibility to the patient to deliver value to us. Insurance also makes it too easy for people to over consume medical care. Elbow hurts because you play too much tennis? Get an MRI.

The market will adjust. If more people focus on high deductible plans, they will seek out less costly medical care for uncovered issues. There will be more small clinics, more medical practitioners, etc.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:19 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, it's a great argument to get insurance companies out of every day health care and only have them around for catastrophic coverage.

Exactly. We've been on a high deductible plan for years. Healthcare is amazingly affordable when you are paying attention. We kept all of our doctors, but switched pharmacies because our grocery store pharmacies are much cheaper than Walgreens and CVS.
When a doctor asks about doing something, I always ask questions: What's the benefit, what's the cost, would you do it if you were the patient, etc. If they give us a prescription that turns out to be expensive, I call the doctor's office and ask about alternatives. For one prescription last year, there was no alternative. It was $240 at Kroger. I went online and found Target sold it for $120, plus they had a savings card to get another $20 off. So I saved $140 for about 30 minutes of effort.

I even had surgery this past year and it wasn't nearly as expensive as I expected. I priced everything out ahead of time and told every provider upfront that we are on a high deductible plan and I wanted all the cost disclosed before surgery. My insurance kicked in after I hit my deductible, but it still wasn't that expensive, even with what the insurance paid.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
People will continue to show up at the emergency room with sniffles.. Do you really think those who dont care about pushing costs onto others will stop seeking treatment? A deductible or not doesnt mean they will pay the bill. All you did was let the insurance companies off the hook and make it less likely bills will be paid.

No, thats NOT how its supposed to be.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
A deductible or not doesnt mean they will pay the bill. All you did was let the insurance companies off the hook and make it less likely bills will be paid.
well you'd have to repeal EMTALA for it to work properly

Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
With the cries of income inequality and raise the min wage there is no way people can watch their FICA go from 6% to 15% and still financially survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies