Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
A police chief of a large city who has changed his views on the impact of law abiding citizens carrying concealed. He now believes that concealed carry is a deterrent to crime:

Detroit police chief: Want crime to drop? Start carrying « Hot Air
Agreed. If you're still not sure, see Death Wish starring Charles Bronson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
There are areas in Detroit where the police don't come until daybreak to collect the bodies. Most big cities have similar areas.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Agreed. If you're still not sure, see Death Wish starring Charles Bronson.
*SIGH*

This is the foolishness I'm talking about. Hollywood movies.

SMH...some of you are just itching to learn the hard way.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There are areas in Detroit where the police don't come until daybreak to collect the bodies. Most big cities have similar areas.
Well...that's an exaggeration. Detroit police are as tough as they come. They'll go anywhere and they're very good at their jobs. They've just faced steep budget cuts and can't be as ubiquitous as they used to be.

But I know what you mean. There are areas where they're extremely wary, but they aren't scared to go anywhere.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well...that's an exaggeration. Detroit police are as tough as they come. They'll go anywhere and they're very good at their jobs. They've just faced steep budget cuts and can't be as ubiquitous as they used to be.

But I know what you mean. There are areas where they're extremely wary, but they aren't scared to go anywhere.
Yeah, it is an exaggeration but still there are places I try to avoid after the sun goes down. Baltimore projects come to mind. I've been in there just before sunset and was there for about an hour after sunset. I was definitely ready to get out!!!! I'm not a coward but I'm not a damn fool either..

Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,853 times
Good advice from the Chief. I wish Baltimore or DC would follow suit but it isn't exactly in the same situation as Detroit. It isn't easy to obtain a CWP in MD and DC has nothing like that. Just read something that crime is down in Detroit while Baltimore has seen an uptick in crime with 5 homicides in 2 days.

I would also agree that the weapon should also be last resort in the case of a crime.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Good advice from the Chief. I wish Baltimore or DC would follow suit but it isn't exactly in the same situation as Detroit. It isn't easy to obtain a CWP in MD and DC has nothing like that. Just read something that crime is down in Detroit while Baltimore has seen an uptick in crime with 5 homicides in 2 days.

I would also agree that the weapon should also be last resort in the case of a crime.
Folks in Detroit didn't wait for the law to change, and Baltimore residents shouldn't either. Pack it anyway if you need it.

I never have understood why folks care about gun laws. If I need it for my safety, then I'll do what the criminals do. Obviously you'll have to pack one small enough to conceal from the cops, but that's better than no weapon at all.

That is..if you REALLY need it.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yeah, it is an exaggeration but still there are places I try to avoid after the sun goes down. Baltimore projects come to mind. I've been in there just before sunset and was there for about an hour after sunset. I was definitely ready to get out!!!! I'm not a coward but I'm not a damn fool either..
I'm not going in any large housing project in any city or town after dark unless I know exactly who I'm going to see there.

My aunt lives in the Cooper Projects in Brooklyn, and I visit her when I'm there. No problems so far...they have loiterers and young punks hanging around, but they've never paid me any attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies