Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
As TnHilltopper mentioned and as seemingly has been demonstrated in Afghanistan with the USSR and Iraq with the US, illegitimate and unpopular occupations tend to foster resistance, which in the Middle East usually comes in the form of terrorism.
And the return to the pre 1967 borders would do nothing to negate that same outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:30 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Quote:
The Palestinians are the tools of Iran, Syria, and then othe muslim nations, which use them as proxies to try to destroy Israel.

There was no "conquest" -- there was a counterattack. Be ignorant -- ignore it.

Nice "final solution" taunt. Your ghoulishness is noted.
^^^ Wasn't intentional, although I thought about how they looked similar after typing it. Thank you for not answering the question and instead resorting to further hatred and hyperbole. Counterattacks that involve taking land and half-enslaving the residents register as "conquest" in my book, whether provoked by other governments or not... is it the fault of the people currently living in Palestine that some Muslim nations went to war with Israel 3-4 decades ago? Do we "punish the children for the sins of the father?"

Old 11-29-2007, 03:36 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
^^^ Wasn't intentional, although I thought about how they looked similar after typing it. Thank you for not answering the question and instead resorting to further hatred and hyperbole. Counterattacks that involve taking land and half-enslaving the residents register as "conquest" in my book, whether provoked by other governments or not... is it the fault of the people currently living in Palestine that some Muslim nations went to war with Israel 3-4 decades ago? Do we "punish the children for the sins of the father?"
You asked a question? I thought it was just a springboard to more rhetoric.

The Palestinians can reject violence, echew Hamas and Hezbolah, and bargain in good faith, of course. They've had penty of decades to do that. But still they call jews pigs and apes and train their children to kill. Speaking of punishing children.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
And the return to the pre 1967 borders would do nothing to negate that same outcome.
It would at least drastically reduce support for it. Support for terrorism isn't an "endemic Muslim" thing, as most polls show... support in Palestine for terrorism is significantly higher than in surveyed nations with Islamic governments... it seemingly follows that conditions, and not just ideology, form much of the basis for the support of attacks.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
It would at least drastically reduce support for it. Support for terrorism isn't an "endemic Muslim" thing, as most polls show... support in Palestine for terrorism is significantly higher than in surveyed nations with Islamic governments... it seemingly follows that conditions, and not just ideology, form much of the basis for the support of attacks.
A partially supported obliteration isn't much different than a fully supported obliteration. It wouldn't negate the actions from being attempted (maybe even successful).

Old 11-29-2007, 03:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
It would also permit Syria to lob shells into Tel Aviv from the Golan Heights, and Hamas to shower Israel with katushkas from three directions.

You really don't know much about this, do you?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You asked a question? I thought it was just a springboard to more rhetoric.

The Palestinians can reject violence, echew Hamas and Hezbolah, and bargain in good faith, of course. They've had penty of decades to do that. But still they call jews pigs and apes and train their children to kill. Speaking of punishing children.
It would probably be easier for Israel to call on Palestinians to reject Hamas if Israel had done the same a few decades ago, according to one of thine fellow right wingers:

Making Enemies

More about Hamas

Hope for a Mideast resolution could grow with Hamas leadership | csmonitor.com

Hamas leader says policy has changed - UPI.com

Old 11-29-2007, 04:15 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I would think it would remove the argument used by the Palestinians. Their main issue is that they are occupied, so to remove the occupation then removes the primary issue for the conflict. I'm not saying this will stop the conflict, it will however showcase Israel taking the high road approach, as the current direction does not seem to be working well. Islam makes a huge point of showcasing Israels culpability and the lopsided nature of the conflict so without it, their excuse for much of the strife in the greater Middle East would no longer exist.

It was like the whole denying Ahmadinejad visiting ground zero of 9-11. While it plays well in our press to showcase what all the world knows, that the guy is a loud mouth idiot, but it removes his ability to go home and say, "Fellow Iranians, you see, we offered assistance and condolences, and they refuse us". It isn't that we weren't justified for not allowing him, it just irks me that we seem to examine issues no deeper than a fluffy press release instead of an examination of greater depth that will likely have long term advantage.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
It would also permit Syria to lob shells into Tel Aviv from the Golan Heights, and Hamas to shower Israel with katushkas from three directions.

You really don't know much about this, do you?
Not too much. Probably not that much less than you, though. Obviously any agreement would require security measures + the possibility of retalitory action in the result of continued violence if Israel kept its side of the agreement but the Palestinians didn't, or vice versa.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I would think it would remove the argument used by the Palestinians. Their main issue is that they are occupied, so to remove the occupation then removes the primary issue for the conflict. I'm not saying this will stop the conflict, it will however showcase Israel taking the high road approach, as the current direction does not seem to be working well. Islam makes a huge point of showcasing Israels culpability and the lopsided nature of the conflict so without it, their excuse for much of the strife in the greater Middle East would no longer exist.

It was like the whole denying Ahmadinejad visiting ground zero of 9-11. While it plays well in our press to showcase what all the world knows, that the guy is a loud mouth idiot, but it removes his ability to go home and say, "Fellow Iranians, you see, we offered assistance and condolences, and they refuse us". It isn't that we weren't justified for not allowing him, it just irks me that we seem to examine issues no deeper than a fluffy press release instead of an examination of greater depth that will likely have long term advantage.
Where we see it differently is that I think it just moves the discussion to questioning the founding of Israel, and did that displace the Palestinians. Just like in my views of China and Taiwan, or Russia and the Ukraine or Georgia, I don't see what ground is gained in compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies