Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,325,731 times

Advertisements

...Or divorce, or gossip, or slavery, or head coverings, or Jesus' teachings on nonviolence, or the "abomination" of eating shellfish and the hell-worthy sin of calling other people idiots.

Then we need a little context.

Then we need a little grace.

Then we need a little room to disagree.

I got to thinking about this after I was criticized for my post about loving gay kids unconditionally. Some folks were very upset that I had the audacity write an entire blog post about putting a stop to LGBT bullying without including a Bible-based condemnation of LGBT people, or at least a theological discussion around the issue of homosexuality and scripture.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel...b_4520676.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
...Or divorce, or gossip, or slavery, or head coverings, or Jesus' teachings on nonviolence, or the "abomination" of eating shellfish and the hell-worthy sin of calling other people idiots.

I got to thinking about this after I was criticized for my post about loving gay kids unconditionally. Some folks were very upset that I had the audacity write an entire blog post about putting a stop to LGBT bullying without including a Bible-based condemnation of LGBT people, or at least a theological discussion around the issue of homosexuality and scripture.

Excellent points.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times
"Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

-Ezekiel 16:49

Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
I think it is fair to say that those who quote and take the bible literally are very selective about what they endorse. This is why there are sometime accusations of hypocrisy. Maybe there is a condensed version for those occasions guidance is needed, but not too much guidance?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:07 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
After starting a thread about greed awhile back, it was no surprise to find out that the right wing posters think ambition and greed are synonymous.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,656,690 times
[quote=tillman7;32880513]...Or divorce, or gossip, or slavery, or head coverings, or Jesus' teachings on nonviolence, or the "abomination" of eating shellfish and the hell-worthy sin of calling other people idiots.

???? Do you think Christ would bully or "hate" gay children???

Think of the parable of the adulterer- "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone". Christ did, however, in that parable, ask the woman to "go forth and sin no more".

Old 01-05-2014, 10:47 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
...Or divorce, or gossip, or slavery, or head coverings, or Jesus' teachings on nonviolence, or the "abomination" of eating shellfish and the hell-worthy sin of calling other people idiots.[indent]
I used to love shellfish unconditionally until the Gulf Oil Spill happened.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,967,358 times
You know, I can't, for the life of me, understand what the point of this post is.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,995,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
You know, I can't, for the life of me, understand what the point of this post is.
If you can't figure it out, you haven't read enough threads on the P & OC forum. The gist of it is that the fairy tale believers are always singling out gay people as the ultimate sinners in this world, yet overlooking the other "sins" mentioned in their bible, many of which they practice regularly.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 AM

99,532 posts, read 4,490,016 times
"Christian" Sarah Palin is a good example. She'll show off her mammoth sized Big Gulp and tell us how it's her God-given right to be a glutton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies