Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's hard to find it, even harder to find it of good quality. People instead resort to home grown drugs like prescribed pain killers, marijuana and crystal meth. It's too bad that few countries are able to cultivate coca plants.
Meth use is down 40% as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I also found it weird that when people have less money due to the economy being pure crap, they can't afford the expensive drugs.
Crack users never afforded what they used, which is why they resorted to crime.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Not a good time to throw in the towel and admit defeat, like so many pro-drug people day we should do.

Cocaine use: Will the factors behind its steady decline continue? - CSMonitor.com

Cocaine use and a host of problems associated with the drug have been declining steadily in the United States in recent years – with at least a 40 percent drop in people using cocaine since 2006.

U.S. drug use: Cocaine in steady decline

“I’ve never seen such a rapid decline for such an addictive drug,” says Peter Reuter, a public-policy professor and drug-economy expert at the University of Maryland in College Park.

Some supply-side factors, as well as demand-side issues, have contributed to the downward trend, according to medical, academic, and drug-policy experts.

Onswipe

Where is the Money Going? - Dramatic Drop in Cocaine Use in U.S. - AllGov - News

The United States has experienced a significant decline in cocaine use in recent years.

From 2006 to 2011, the number of cocaine users in the U.S. declined 40%, according to the White House’s Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP).

Seven years ago, there were 2.4 million cocaine users in the U.S. By 2011, that number had fallen to 1.4 million.

The country also witnessed a drop in the number of first-time users of the drug (from one million in 2002 to 670,000 in 2011). The number of cocaine addicts also fell, from 1.7 million in 2006 to 800,000 in 2011.

“I’ve never seen such a rapid decline for such an addictive drug,” Peter Reuter, a public-policy professor and drug-economy expert at the University of Maryland in College Park, told The Christian Science Monitor.
CSM, aside, seems to me a whole lot less people can probably afford cocaine these days, if they live through it's usage. I would think the economic model would have switched to a cheaper option. Would hardly call that a victory for the war on drugs.
From the article:
Still, opinions vary when it comes to interpreting the overall cocaine trend and the possible reasons for it. How much is there to celebrate, some ask, given the broader context of illicit drug use in the US – which has risen slightly in recent years, largely because of a rise in the use of marijuana (see accompanying chart).
Despite a decline in cocaine use, there’s a great deal of cause for concern about other trends in drug use, Hall and others say.
“What has emerged in prescription drug abuse, particularly prescription opioids, is the most dangerous, the most addictive, and the most deadly drug problem of our lifetime,” Hall says. Even though the number of illegal prescription drug users has declined in the past few years, he says, the problems are severe.

In historic achievement, Colombian cocaine production plunges...or does it?
quote:
A numbers game?

In its annual report, the UN Office on Drugs and Crime – the only other body that measures cocaine production in the Andes Mountains – said Colombian cocaine production remained stable in 2011 and coca cultivation actually rose that same year, by 3 percent.

Last edited by CDusr; 01-06-2014 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
CSM, aside, seems to me a whole lot less people can probably afford cocaine these days, if they live through it's usage. I would think the economic model would have switched to a cheaper option.
Crack users never afforded what they used, which is why they resorted to crime. Not that crack was ever that expensive to begin with

Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The government has no legal or moral power to tell any citizen what substances they may or may not use.
Any attempt by government to claim ownership of a citizens life or body is usurpation of power not given to government and is therefore both illegal and immoral.

Drug laws are a result of tyranny of government and not an element of a society of free men.
Police and courts who prosecute citizens for the use of substances are criminals and tyrants.
The people have the obligation to nullify all laws which government illegally enacts by both protest and refusal to obey.
It is government and law enforcement who are the criminals, not the people who decide to use drugs.
Excellent! And this is why if I'm on a jury for someone on trial for drug possession, the verdict is "not guilty" regardless of the facts.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
It is down, but I didn't say it is down because cocaine is down. It seems the war on drugs is having some real effect. Let's keep it that way, shall we.
No, let's don't keep it that way because the war on drugs has NO positive results. And it has HUGE negative results.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
US & Columbian anti-drug forces have cut cocaine production by 44%. It is mentioned in the linked articles in the OP
You are delusional. The only thing that cuts drug use is lower demand.

Governments have no control over drug use.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
I have asked you several times to show that prescription drug users are ex-cocaine users, having moved from one drug to another, but you have failed to prove it. Instead you just keep repeating that it must be so.

Experts: Prescription drug abuse leading to spike in heroin use – Cronkite News

like I said out of the oven into the broiler

face it the war on drugs has failed miserably!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! their are more drugs available now than any time in the past legal or illegal..... the war on weed has lasted 76 years and their is more quantities & potent varieties of weed now than any time in the past!!!!

I'm done playing your stupid game

trillions wasted we could have brand new infrastructure in the US for all the wasted money on the war on drugs..

prescription drug abuse is at an all time high, that would mean less people will do illegal drugs, but the irony is prescription drugs in the wrong hands are illegal drugs so I guess the war on drugs is failing on both ends, whether it be illegal drugs or legal drugs that are abused by millions of American citizens... fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail, fail,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
No, meth is down about 40% too
Meth use is not down. After decrease five years ago, cartels, tiny labs fuel meth upswing » Evansville Courier & Press

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...ing-Across-U-S

Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Excellent! And this is why if I'm on a jury for someone on trial for drug possession, the verdict is "not guilty" regardless of the facts.
The jury would not be tasked with deciding whether or not someone was found in possession of drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies