Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support same-sex marriage?
Yes, Democrat 62 29.11%
No, Democrat 4 1.88%
Yes, Republican 19 8.92%
No, Republican 26 12.21%
Yes, Independent/ 3rd Party 67 31.46%
No, Independent/ 3rd Party 35 16.43%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:18 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times

Advertisements

I find it somewhat interesting that for a seemingly right-leaning board, this subset is more likely to support same-sex marriage than average. Even amongst the Republicans on here it's about 50-50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The state and government is overriding the natural laws God created for mankind. God created Eve for Adam . God also said. It is good to have ONE wife.

The word marriage is also God given.
I am not sure that God even exists.

Secondly, even if God does exist, if he has such a problem with gay marriage, then why exactly doesn't he do something which would make it extremely obvious for us to figure this out, such as by stopping all gay people from being conceived in the first place?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You already forgot in the sake of arguing, that I want government out of the marriage business all together.
They are already involved in Religion. There is no separation.
I'd agree with you if men and women were equal with equal earning potential. All too often, women derail their careers to raise a family and if the marriage were to dissolve would be left unable to support themselves and their children. Legal marriage addresses this with the requirement to legally divorce and the courts deciding whether or not spousal and child support are warranted.

I wish the genders were so equal that marriage were not needed. I'd like the government completely out of my personal life. Marriage should be a religious/personal thing not something overseen by the government. I understand why the laws were put on the books and why we're not quite ready for them to be taken off the books but in an ideal world, Uncle Sam would not sanction or care about my marriage because legal marriage would not be necessary and the government doesn't need to acknowledge religious marriage. Marriage exists because of people like her who do stupid things like give up a career when kids are born and then leave themselves with no way to earn a living.

I have a sister who SAH because he husband wanted his wife at home for nearly 20 years. If it weren't for legal marriage, and divorce, she'd be penniless right now. She has zero job skills as the only job she held during that time was that of his book keeper for his business. If it weren't for alimony she'd be homeless.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:22 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I find it somewhat interesting that for a seemingly right-leaning board, this subset is more likely to support same-sex marriage than average. Even amongst the Republicans on here it's about 50-50.
This is a seemingly right-leaning board?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
If we have state recognized marriage, yes. But I support no legal marriage

Old 01-06-2014, 05:27 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
LOL! That's funny.

Yes, I had to have the approval from my elders and my wife's father. There may not be a paper, but I did need something from the heart, to make my marriage sacred and blessed by my ancestors.
Pastor? Like my fathers before me, I was not married by a pastor or anyone affiliated with god or jesus.
We were married by my Mother Earth and my great uncle, who is a Cherokee Medicine Man, in Colorado.

I did have to buy a legal beagle marriage license, in the state of Texas
You had to buy that marriage license for one reason only, to get the 1049 federal rights and the rights granted by the state, but you or anyone can have their church wedding without the license, just no rights. So, it is the government that controls marriage and the rights granted, not the church or any church. So if you were really for keeping government out of marriage, why did you get a marriage license?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The state and government is overriding the natural laws God created for mankind. God created Eve for Adam . God also said. It is good to have ONE wife.

The word marriage is also God given.
BALONEY, Malarkey, there is zip in the way of proof of any god and why would you even assume that EVERYONE wants or believes in your god. Also no proof of an Adam and Eve and since there is no god, how can it own or create the word marriage?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
You already forgot in the sake of arguing, that I want government out of the marriage business all together.
They are already involved in Religion. There is no separation.
Sorry, but it is religion that interferes in government and thus should not be tax free. Why not show your support for the removal of government from marriage and get a divorce and accept the lack of rights or benefits that are granted by the government. You do not have to get married civilly to be married or have kids, you just need the civil marriage license for the righs, all 1049 of them that cannot be bought or finagled with an attorney.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
You are reenforcing what I said about how I'm fine with a legal partnership, with the same benefits and outlines as male / female legal partnership. Define who you are, if you are proud of it. Call it something unique. But never a religious marriage.
Call in a perfect union. Attached. Chained.
I won't be having a "religious" Marriage, I will be having a legal civil marriage. No church or religion involved in any way. It is still called a marriage as the laws that surround the legal institution are called marriage.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Absolutely not.

Same-sex "marriage" is a contradiction in terms. Adding recognition to a false social construct does not make it any realer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies