Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Fair enough

In response to your other post, not all gun owners are trained properly. Hence the reason why my safety is concerned when too many citizens are armed.
This is called collateral damage.
If we followe your reasoning, then EVERYONE before owning a swimming pool should be "trained" as a Life Guard since such a large number of people drown in pools ever year.

How about knives?

Bats and other blunt installments, since they are use MORE time to kill then rifles, therefore "training should be mandatory before you buy your kid that new baseball bat.

The list can go on and on.

I am amazed at some of the ideas some have and don't think them through.

I don't you know as much about the issue as you think you do.

For instance, in all the gun incidents, how many guns used in these incidents were bought LEGALLY by the person who used the guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The biggest problem with the thought of a well regulated Militia. Regulated can be discussed for hours. The large percent of new purchasers who have had no training in safety, how to secure, what can happen if used.

The NRA should be made to put up or shutup by making training of all new gun owners manditory prior to pick-up.
The NRA should be the group to oversee and maintain the records of that training and all the stats. on the training.
There are threads which show gun training on this page, the problem is that these are being done by parents who have weapons already,understand that their kids could benefit from the training. So that training needs to be given as manditory before new owners can pick up the weapon.

I believe as a gun owner that proper training is the key to the gun issue.
" The large percent of new purchasers who have had no training in safety, how to secure, what can happen if used."

Gun ownership has been going up ever since Clinton first started talking about the so called "Assault weapon ban"

So, show us the statistics showing an INCREASE in gun incidents by LEGAL gun owners.

Your position is typical of those who don't know much about the issue yet, want to chime in with their "ideas".

Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
We manage to regulate all kinds of things in this country without banning them, from cars to space heaters to electric hair dryers. And, as a result of that regulation, fewer people drive dangerously defective cars, get burned alive by faulty space heaters, or get zapped to death by poorly insulated electric hair dryers.
Every example you gave demonstrates how regulation has controlled the construction of said example, not ownership of it. Also, you have a right to own exactly none of the examples you gave.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You think Obama cared about what is in the constitution?
Enough that he was a constitutional scholar ar Harvard and top of his class, how much studying of the actual law behind the constitution did you study? Or do you simply quote the number of the 2nd amendment the way you quote a bible phrase, just for convenience?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
An example? 1 story, WOW

Typical reaction from some. if 1 incedent happens we have to have new laws to prevent it from ever happen again. Sound like some politiciaans I know of.

I will add this:

NRA-ILA | Armed Citizen

162 pages with about 40 stories per page.

I'll put my 6,480 stories aginst you list ANY day.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I avoid going places where I think I will need a gun to defend myself and anyone I am responsible for. When I had to go to dangerous places I was armed regardless of what the law allowed. My primary duty is to protect my family and myself.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
No, it's not that simple.

Two classic NRA propaganda tropes underlie your logic:

1) That the choice is essentially between no regulation whatsoever and a total ban. This is a false dichotomy. We manage to regulate all kinds of things in this country without banning them, from cars to space heaters to electric hair dryers. And, as a result of that regulation, fewer people drive dangerously defective cars, get burned alive by faulty space heaters, or get zapped to death by poorly insulated electric hair dryers.

Please cite the NRA document(s) to show this or it's BS.

Quote:
2) That society is neatly divided between "good guys" (aka "law-abiding citizens) and "bad guys" (aka "criminals'). Furthermore, your argument assumes that bad guys have magical powers--i.e. that they will somehow always be able to get guns no matter what. That is false. As a Chicago, cop once told me, if you trace the history of any gun used in any crime, what you always find out is the reason that gun got into circulation is because someone, at some point, bought it legally. After that, it may have been stolen, resold, lent out, or whatever. But the bottom line is, the reason bad guy can get guns so easily is because everyone else can get guns easily, too.
This is completely asinine. Unless someone is churning out illegal guns in their backyard, of course all guns are obtained legally once upon a time. True statement but completely useless.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The power of money. The power of a well funded lobbiest, who can put out statements which people who have no understanding of the real world hear and react to.

The power to move a market.
The power to move political thinking.

Now is the time to make the NRA do what they were created to do, train and support the gun owner, not just the gun makers.

Thats the Brooklyn Bridge, give me an offer maybe the city of NY will privatize it
I'll bet you have NO problem with the MSM using it's "power" to tell ONLY stories negative to guns and very seldom, if ever about when a gun is used thwart a crime, etc.

You may want to look up the Appalachian Law School indecent.

The NRA is needed to counter the power of the MSM.

But you want the NRA silenced because you don't agree with them. Typical liberal.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I remember when then NRA used to represent gun owners...
You made the claim Now it is up to YOU to prove that the NRA does NOT represent gun owners.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
No, it's not that simple.

Two classic NRA propaganda tropes underlie your logic:

1) That the choice is essentially between no regulation whatsoever and a total ban. This is a false dichotomy. We manage to regulate all kinds of things in this country without banning them, from cars to space heaters to electric hair dryers. And, as a result of that regulation, fewer people drive dangerously defective cars, get burned alive by faulty space heaters, or get zapped to death by poorly insulated electric hair dryers.

2) That society is neatly divided between "good guys" (aka "law-abiding citizens) and "bad guys" (aka "criminals'). Furthermore, your argument assumes that bad guys have magical powers--i.e. that they will somehow always be able to get guns no matter what. That is false. As a Chicago, cop once told me, if you trace the history of any gun used in any crime, what you always find out is the reason that gun got into circulation is because someone, at some point, bought it legally. After that, it may have been stolen, resold, lent out, or whatever. But the bottom line is, the reason bad guy can get guns so easily is because everyone else can get guns easily, too.
Don't assume that the NRA speaks for all gun owners.

The bottom line as you stated it is wrong. The bottom line is that bad guys don't care about laws.

Unless you can magically vaporize every single firearm on the continent, criminals will have guns no matter what the laws are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies