Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Do more research. Very few scientists think FTL travel is possible or probable. Warped space or worm holes are the answer.
So how many scientists have signed up for warped space?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
unless they somehow have faster then light travel, I think it would not matter. Interstellar travel would be next to impossible without it.
Perhaps Faster than light wouldn't be necessary. One might just take a different path.

Thing is, space is not necessarily distance. It can also be dimensional.
Think prisms stacked together, bending the light from point a to point b. The actual distance is much less than the light has to travel to get there.
Things could be a lot closer than they look or are measured in conventional terms.

Dimensional theory is becoming more popular in serious scientific circles. The equations aren't in yet but they're working on it. It would be one way to account for various sightings reported over the ages.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Do more research. Very few scientists think FTL travel is possible or probable. Warped space or worm holes are the answer.
Using Warped space and wormholes for travel is basically science fiction with our knowledge and warped space travel is by definition FTL travel so unless you are Zephrim Cochrine or Benjamin Sisko its not happening. In all likelyhood reasonable interstellar travel in itself is impossible within the laws of physics as we know them.

What I am essentially saying is that if there are aliens capable of interstellar travel they have a very different and far more advanced understanding of physics then we do.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I think the first thing would be that those that poo poo conspiracy theories and the paranormal now would suddenly insist that we subject ourselves to the aliens as they are superior and have greater understanding than we.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times

"Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life here..."

Old 01-07-2014, 12:33 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think the first thing would be that those that poo poo conspiracy theories and the paranormal now would suddenly insist that we subject ourselves to the aliens as they are superior and have greater understanding than we.

Then that explains the Democratic party - they think Obama is an alien!

But seriously, I think it would probably put the world's religions into different perspective, especially some of the more fundamentalist Christians. It would put them into panic mode. I know some particular "fundies" personally who insist that evidence of the dinosaurs' existence was put there by Satan. Confronted by an actual alien? If they couldn't convince themselves it was an "angel", it was probably from Satan...

I personally think the human race may have had some assistance in its evolution by aliens, and they do check on us now and then. Like a kid who has a science project terrarium...

Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy Tea

I think the first thing would be that those
that poo poo conspiracy theories and the paranormal now would suddenly insist
that we subject ourselves to the aliens as they are superior and have greater
understanding than we.
Well, considering that they have figured out HOW to come here means they have superior technology and are more advanced than we are.
We're still crowing about putting a man on the moon and a rover on Mars.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:07 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Using Warped space and wormholes for travel is basically science fiction with our knowledge and warped space travel is by definition FTL travel so unless you are Zephrim Cochrine or Benjamin Sisko its not happening. In all likelyhood reasonable interstellar travel in itself is impossible within the laws of physics as we know them.

What I am essentially saying is that if there are aliens capable of interstellar travel they have a very different and far more advanced understanding of physics then we do.
I would not assume that we are publicly aware of all the technology out there, especially in this area. However, this is public information.
Warp Drive More Possible Than Thought, Scientists Say | Space.com
NASA's basement nuclear reactor

Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Nah. Religion would regroup and continue. Actually, I don't know of any major religions that have stated any specific doctrine on the matter--storefront preachers not withstanding.
I dunno, there are some religions that scoff at any possiblity of life outside of the planet earth. I think that it would be kind of hard to explain heaven and the relationship to other worlds and planets that may have other forms of life. Remember historically things that have been looked at as being different were either destroyed as being "evil" or praised as being a "godsend" if it can be explained within the comfort limits of that particuliar religous belief system.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:39 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you watch any of these space shows you've seen that Asian physicist, to paraphrase him if alien life showed up here.... "It would be like Bambi vs. Godzilla....".
I can believe that theory as well since this country in particuliar is very warlike and at the same time can be spooked very easily into doing irrational things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies