Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
When I was younger, I was a bit hyper, and probably would have been a perfect candidate for what they call ADHD. I mean, I do get distracted easily...even today. However; I'm glad my mom never put me on that Ritalin crap! I would never put my own kid on that stuff either!
In the same respect, I sat next to a girl in college who was on it. She said that without it, every little noise or movement disrupted her train of thought. With it, she could function and focus. So yes, these medicines (amphetamines) do have a purpose and they do work, but wait until the person taking them is old enough to decide for themselves whether to take them or not. Say above age 14.

And the answer to my question about institution that is WAY more concerned about hallucinogens is organized religion. Think about what organized religion would say if people started taking things like DMT? Wait, people would start to have spiritual experiences for themselves instead of reading about those in the bible?????????? Preposterous.

How many atheists or non-mainstream religious people oppose hallucinogens? Now how many Christians or Muslims oppose them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
About the ADD or any kind of drug and kids, I think medicine should not be administered until the kid makes the choice for itself. I was a weird kid, like really weird, when I was in kindergarten and preschool. I would have been diagnosed autistic too I believe. I didn't talk to many people and always played by myself and was extremely concrete. But I ended up normal (I think), and a more abstract person. A lot of changes happen between 4 and 13.

About central control, I think methadone would enhance it. It deadens your emotions but leaves you still conscious and able to think and work. Not that I'm recommending that, BUT, it makes you wonder why they are so eager to prescribe pain meds, although other ones leave you a little less work operable than methadone.

About BZ, I read on erowid an account from one of the service members who was given that. He said he didn't know what it was. Basically, it lasted for several days and he said he was incoherently deleriant and had several dreams, slipping in and out of sleep. Maybe it could be used for military control in an area? It sounds better than killing the people.

And what institution besides the government would be much more damaged by free use of hallucinogenic drugs? Someone guess!
Yes, but emotions are key to critical thinking, as well. The frontal lobe doesn't finish til mid 20s so brain altering chemicals, especially long term, have very serious consequences.

Education systems are controlled by govt. They teach all about learning modalities and individual needs, but really don't practice it. Abstract thinking is very important.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I think the dead giveaway for me and my son was that we were so early in our public school experience. They didn't even give him a reasonable amount of time to adapt to the new environment he was supposed to operate in all day every day. It was a huge red flag for me.

I think that there is a broader spectrum of normal functional human behavior than there is dysfunction, but I just feel like there is a drive to diagnose a ridiculous number of kids for all kinds of things.

Went to a fair with some friends, their teenaged relative said, "See this is what I'm talking about! I need my medicine! Like right now, I want to buy stuff, but I don't have money and to get money I'd need a job but I don't have a job and I just have SO MUCH ANXIETY. I should have my pills so I don't have anxiety!" She was having a feeling, and her first thought was that she needed to medicate it away. I was stunned.

And we have an idiot sheriff down in Pueblo who is trying to say that somehow legal pot is linked to the increase in heroin abuse in the state. Makes no sense to me. Maybe getting our youth hooked on pills that they NEED to cope with NORMAL LIFE is a precursor to heroin abuse.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:58 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
In the same respect, I sat next to a girl in college who was on it. She said that without it, every little noise or movement disrupted her train of thought. With it, she could function and focus. So yes, these medicines (amphetamines) do have a purpose and they do work, but wait until the person taking them is old enough to decide for themselves whether to take them or not. Say above age 14.

And the answer to my question about institution that is WAY more concerned about hallucinogens is organized religion. Think about what organized religion would say if people started taking things like DMT? Wait, people would start to have spiritual experiences for themselves instead of reading about those in the bible?????????? Preposterous.

How many atheists or non-mainstream religious people oppose hallucinogens? Now how many Christians or Muslims oppose them?

Well... I'm Christian, and don't necessarily oppose anyone doing them, but I personally wouldn't touch hallucinogens with a 10 foot pole. My luck, I'd have a bad trip. Not to mention everyone that I've talked to that has done acid or shrooms says the effects last 8-12 hours and that they can't go to sleep if they wanted to. I just don't have that much time in the day. Cannabis is sometimes referred to as a mild hallucinogen, but that is about the extent of it for me.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well... I'm Christian, and don't necessarily oppose anyone doing them, but I personally wouldn't touch hallucinogens with a 10 foot pole. My luck, I'd have a bad trip. Not to mention everyone that I've talked to that has done acid or shrooms says the effects last 8-12 hours and that they can't go to sleep if they wanted to. I just don't have that much time in the day. Cannabis is sometimes referred to as a mild hallucinogen, but that is about the extent of it for me.
I did acid a few times as a teenager. You do indeed stay awake for the duration of the "trip" and I was personally really REALLY awake and tense and alert. Then once it wore off, I crashed...first I felt sweaty and stinky and nasty (don't know if I really was, but I had that sensation) and needed a shower, followed by a full day of sleep.

I don't have time for acid anymore, haven't for a whole lot of years. I also don't have time for smoking pot, I'm not functional when I do it (didn't want to be...the whole reason I used it when I did was to experience a fun time being "high") and it made me lethargic and lazy for up to a day or two afterwards if I recall correctly...

Since I became a parent I had to grow up and be on my game. I simply don't have the time to intoxicate myself. Maybe one day when my kids are grown and gone and I'm retired and I have nothing pressing to attend to for a while, I might indulge again. But it is, was, and will be MY CHOICE. That's what's important to me. It's not that I think people should get high, necessarily, it's that I think that it should be their decision. There might be consequences, but it's not the government's job to protect us from every possible consequence of our choices. And just because something becomes legal doesn't mean everyone will choose to do it.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I did acid a few times as a teenager. You do indeed stay awake for the duration of the "trip" and I was personally really REALLY awake and tense and alert. Then once it wore off, I crashed...first I felt sweaty and stinky and nasty (don't know if I really was, but I had that sensation) and needed a shower, followed by a full day of sleep.

I don't have time for acid anymore, haven't for a whole lot of years. I also don't have time for smoking pot, I'm not functional when I do it (didn't want to be...the whole reason I used it when I did was to experience a fun time being "high") and it made me lethargic and lazy for up to a day or two afterwards if I recall correctly...

Since I became a parent I had to grow up and be on my game. I simply don't have the time to intoxicate myself. Maybe one day when my kids are grown and gone and I'm retired and I have nothing pressing to attend to for a while, I might indulge again. But it is, was, and will be MY CHOICE. That's what's important to me. It's not that I think people should get high, necessarily, it's that I think that it should be their decision. There might be consequences, but it's not the government's job to protect us from every possible consequence of our choices. And just because something becomes legal doesn't mean everyone will choose to do it.

Moderation is key. But you and I are on the same page when it comes to the government staying out of our lives. Furthermore, your description of acid is the same description from others who have tried it. So to that I say no thanks.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:13 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Activist Post: 19 Statistics About The Drugging Of America That Are Almost Too Crazy To Believe

"The American people are the most drugged people in the history of the planet."

Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I guess you don't have to sit through long church services so you don't have time to experiment like me . But I honestly wouldn't want to be trippin for a whole day either. That's why salvia sounds more attractive.

But there is a reason why MOST drug use is stimulants and depressants. You can still do day to day stuff while on them. Why anybody gets drunk is beyond me though.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted yet.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 02-24-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies