Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:52 PM

26,492 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Because you didn't directly ask me a question until you said I didn't answer your question. Get a grip. How long do you think people should have? I'm trying to put together the existing numbers, and it isn't years and years.
We had a series of posts where we responded to each other's posts with each other's post up top in quotes - Who did you think I was asking the question to?

Whoops, you, the poster known as GRsz11, this question is to you -- the one that I am responding to - your post is above in quotes, GRsz11 - this is a question from me to YOU. Who did you think I was asking the question to?

Were you amazed when I was able to answer your questions in the same manner? Since apparently I shouldn't have realized they were directed to me. (This is also a question to you, the poster that goes by GRsz11)

Either you were ducking my question and are lying about not knowing who they were to OR you have a Kindergarten reading comprehension level OR you weren't "reading" my posts despite responding to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think unemployment insurance should last forever.

It will increase poverty and crime. Not to mention, 75% of the unemployed are NOT currently collecting benefits. What does that tell you? It means that jobs are still very hard to come by for many people. Who cares if 15% of recipients are abusing it. The other 85% really need it.
Interesting that the OP never came back to the thread that he/she started.

Bottom Line - unemployment is NOT going to last forever. 1) This country can't afford that .. and 2) This country is NOT about a 'free ride' for over 2 years for those who don't work and expect the US Taxpayers to pay their way. 75% of the unemployed are not receiving benefits because they have not gotten a job in over 2 years ..... that's a 2 year free ride paid for by those who do work. At some point - the Tax Payers have to say - "enough is enough".

"Who cares if 15% are abusing the system"??? You should care, because it is those abusers (probably more that 15%) that are ruining the entire system for those that DO have problems. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Bad apples cause rot, and we do have rot ..... you either pitch the rotten apples out of the barrel OR you rot with them. It's all a matter of choice and Consequences.

Unemployment will NOT "last forever" - accept it now or accept it later, but you and others will have to accept it. There is no such thing as a Free Ride forever, especially in tough times that seem to be never-ending at this point.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
We had a series of posts where we responded to each other's posts with each other's post up top in quotes - Who did you think I was asking the question to?

Whoops, you, the poster known as GRsz11, this question is to you -- the one that I am responding to - your post is above in quotes, GRsz11 - this is a question from me to YOU. Who did you think I was asking the question to?

Were you amazed when I was able to answer your questions in the same manner? Since apparently I shouldn't have realized they were directed to me. (This is also a question to you, the poster that goes by GRsz11)

Either you were ducking my question and are lying about not knowing who they were to OR you have a Kindergarten reading comprehension level OR you weren't "reading" my posts despite responding to them.
And the first time YOU asked me a question was to ask why I didn't answer your question. See #50

Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
They "do the math."

I know several people on Unemployment by choice.

Here is an example, one of my wife's friends was bragging about it - she was encoruaged to do it from another friend that was doing it.

Here is the math -- she calculated that by working she had to pay for gas, wear and tear on her car (commute), expensive baby sitting (4 kids and wants a #5)...that her paycheck wasn't really that much when you consider subtracting out all of the other. Let's call this her "calculated real wage."

Then you take her "calculated real wage" and compare it to what she would get by being on unemployment -- consider that if she were on unemployment she would be at home and no longer have the costs of commuting wear and tear on the car, gas money, or baby sitting money.

She calculated that she only made $2 dollars or so an hour by working more than she would by sitting at home collecting unemployment...so she chose to stay home and be a mom on our dime.

Is this the intended purpose of unemployment? So people can do the math and say working is not worth it?

Our governor capped unemployment for able-bodied people at a maximum of 4 years and she has called our governor "Hitler" for this. She has now run out of unemployment, but collects other benefits like WIC, haven't talked to her in awhile - no idea if she is getting a job now or not.
This is your first response to me....no question. Again, how did she claim to the state she lost her job if she made this plan?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Interesting that the OP never came back to the thread that he/she started.

Bottom Line - unemployment is NOT going to last forever. 1) This country can't afford that .. and 2) This country is NOT about a 'free ride' for over 2 years for those who don't work and expect the US Taxpayers to pay their way. 75% of the unemployed are not receiving benefits because they have not gotten a job in over 2 years ..... that's a 2 year free ride paid for by those who do work. At some point - the Tax Payers have to say - "enough is enough".

"Who cares if 15% are abusing the system"??? You should care, because it is those abusers (probably more that 15%) that are ruining the entire system for those that DO have problems. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Bad apples cause rot, and we do have rot ..... you either pitch the rotten apples out of the barrel OR you rot with them. It's all a matter of choice and Consequences.

Unemployment will NOT "last forever" - accept it now or accept it later, but you and others will have to accept it. There is no such thing as a Free Ride forever, especially in tough times that seem to be never-ending at this point.
The shocking thing is, the people that I know that abuse the system - do not think they are part of the problem. It is owed to them. They are entitled to be on it while not trying to get a job. Big bad evil companies do worse - this is justified.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
This is your first response to me....no question.
Actually there is a question in that post - that you didn't answer. And I clearly have posts in response to you (that I have already reposted previously) where I ask you a question where I am in a direct quoting conversation with you.

Either you are a troll or have a low IQ.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Actually there is a question in that post - that you didn't answer. And I clearly have posts in response to you (that I have already reposted previously) where I ask you a question where I am in a direct quoting conversation with you.

Either you are a troll or have a low IQ.
Not how many weeks it should be. You asked that in general, then asked me much later. You can see it plainly, ive quoted it several times. I cant spell it out more clearly.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why not? You get paid good money to lay around and do absolutely nothing all day. You can sleep until noon, get up, play video games or watch television all day, go shopping, have leisurely lunches and dinners, party all night, vacation in the sun all winter -- never have to bother having to work.
I did something like that for awhile but I wasn't on unemployment, I was just purposely not working. You would be amazed at the stuff people who don't have jobs can do besides watch tv, play video games or shop.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Not how many weeks it should be. You asked that in general, then asked me much later. You can see it plainly, ive quoted it several times.
Anyone with a brain can see that I asked you more than once before you responded and you even denied that I asked it. You didn't answer the other question either. You are a troll of have a low IQ. You are a waste of my time.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Anyone with a brain can see that I asked you more than once before you responded and you even denied that I asked it. You didn't answer the other question either. You are a troll of have a low IQ. You are a waste of my time.
This is tedious and I'm tired of dealing with a moron. You asked in 10 how long ot should last, in general and not directed to me. Then in 30 you ask why I didn't answer. I responded to another point you made, sue me, but you never asked me directly before then. Follow or do I need to draw you a picture? The world doesn't stop when people don't hang on your every word. If I just make up a number will you be happy and shut up...how about 57?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies