Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times

Advertisements

On the other hand and far less speculative as to big Pharma motives......

"Merck officials realized they could create a drug that would cure river blindness, but they also knew that the people who needed it would not be able to pay for it. The company’s researchers took seven years and millions of dollars to develop the drug, but Merck was committed to creating and distributing the drug to the people who needed it. Working with the World Health Organization, Merck created the Mectizan Donation Program in 1988 (in 1998, Merck and the MDP also began to treat lymphatic filariasis, which is endemic in the same river regions)."

"Twenty years later, Merck executives report that the company has delivered $2.7 billion worth of medicine, enabling 530 million treatments in 33 countries. A special 2004 issue of Tropical Medicine and International Health concluded that the Mectizan Donation Program produced significant reductions in transmission of disease and disability, and that it had had an important economic impact."

Case Study: Merck: Giving Its Product Away

Old 01-08-2014, 07:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's ok, just a few innocent victims. Who cares about them. The flu vaccine is safe now. /sarcasm
Let me guess, probably pro abortion, right?

Bad corporations who save suffering for millions a year, good, killing babies.. yes, its a mystery to me as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Let me guess, probably pro abortion, right?
No.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They should wear masks to protect them.

Especially like you admit, the vaccines don't work on many people and many shouldn't take them, there will never be the case where someone susceptible could be sure no one is contagious. Most flus and colds are spread through air droplets, and the best protection for the susceptible would be a mask and careful handwashing.
Masks do not provide much protection. I posted links previously. Do a search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have not called in sick to work ever in my life. I've had stomach flu which is the one that comes on fast and you recover by the next morning, and I've had a few colds but that's about it. I had the flu when I was a kid a few times and some other childhood viruses like chickenpox.

The deaths from this flu have been in individuals with underlying conditions --- those are the people that should be addressed -- for some reason our government is so intent on vaccinating the perfectly healthy that they aren't getting those who need the vaccines properly immunized.
That's another line from "Anti-Vax 101", but it's not true. This year's predominant flu, an H1N1, is particularly hitting healthy young people.
Flu Outbreak Spreads Across US, Affects Young Adults - ABC News

I have seen no evidence that high-risk groups are not being vaccinated. Perhaps you have some?

And look at this! Actual research, something the anti-vaxers hate, that shows that vaccinating children helps protect adults.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/737711
"Conclusion: Vaccination of children against influenza may induce herd immunity against influenza for older adults and has the potential to be more beneficial to older adults than the existing policy of preventing influenza by vaccinating older adults themselves."

Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I don't know how many people who died had the vaccine or did not have the vaccine but if you have any stats to share, please do.

I know the little boy who died from the flu in Eugene, Oregon was vaccinated.
90% of child deaths from flu last year occurred in unimmunized children. Anecdotes do not make good arguments.

CDC - CDC Reports About 90 Percent of Children Who Died From Flu This Season Not Vaccinated | News and Spotlights | Influenza (Flu)
More than 40 percent of child flu death victims were healthy: Study - CBS News

Now the anti-vaxers, who do not understand epidemiology, think 40% is negligible, but it's almost half! If 40% who were immunized had some reaction, the anti-vaxers would be up in arms, preferably AK-47s!

Old 01-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
90% of child deaths from flu last year occurred in unimmunized children. Anecdotes do not make good arguments.

CDC - CDC Reports About 90 Percent of Children Who Died From Flu This Season Not Vaccinated | News and Spotlights | Influenza (Flu)
More than 40 percent of child flu death victims were healthy: Study - CBS News

Now the anti-vaxers, who do not understand epidemiology, think 40% is negligible, but it's almost half! If 40% who were immunized had some reaction, the anti-vaxers would be up in arms, preferably AK-47s!
I wonder if any of those people who died took any other types of precautions such as proper nutrition, exercise, hand washing, rest and supplements. I guess we will never know.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:24 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,163 times
Quote:
I don't know how many people who died had the vaccine or did not have the vaccine but if you have any stats to share, please do.

I know the little boy who died from the flu in Eugene, Oregon was vaccinated.
The stats are recorded on the CDC website (and is also part of the wikipedia website on the subject under safety), and I already posted them for you earlier. That seems grossly willfully ignorant.

Anecdotes are not data. I can point to a rough period when my wife watched three unvaccinated kids died from measles (not flu, but vaccines) in Portland Oregon. One kid came into the doctors office with measles infecting the kids in the waiting room who were not vaccinated (most were too young). She watched as the carrier kid and two babies progess to encepholitous (infection/swelling of the brain) to the point where their skulls started to deform...and they each died.

I have three times the number of dead kids in my story, does that mean my opinion wins about vaccinations?

To me, no. The data must provide the objective answer.

For some one who claims to have good enough critical thinking to toss out bad information, you sure seem to latch on to the talking points of the anti-vaxxers and are championing the worst things that happen without the balance of the lives saved. Not with data either, but anecdotes that cannot be verified to be even remotely true. Something which people who really care about critical thinking, logic, and having a solid real basis for their opinions would not place above real studies...ever.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:27 AM

Elderberry Fights Flu Symptoms

Quote:
[A small study published five years ago showed that 93% of flu patients given Sambucol were completely symptom-free within two days; those taking a placebo recovered in about six days. The current study shows that, indeed, it works for type A flu, reports lead researcher Erling Thom, with the University of Oslo in Norway.
Randomized trial of vitamin D supplementation... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Quote:
Influenza A occurred in 18 of 167 (10.8%) children in the vitamin D(3) group compared with 31 of 167 (18.6%) children in the placebo group [relative risk (RR), 0.58; 95% CI: 0.34, 0.99; P = 0.04]. This study suggests that vitamin D(3) supplementation during the winter may reduce the incidence of influenza A, especially in specific subgroups of schoolchildren

Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I wonder if any of those people who died took any other types of precautions such as proper nutrition, exercise, hand washing, rest and supplements. I guess we will never know.
No, we won't, but those measures are adjuncts to immunization, not replacements for it. All except supplements, which are just a way for Mercola, et al to make money. Most people in the US have adequate nutrition.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, we won't, but those measures are adjuncts to immunization, not replacements for it. All except supplements, which are just a way for Mercola, et al to make money. Most people in the US have adequate nutrition.
That is pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies