Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
It is a Slate piece and they do have a repuatation. I seriously doubt that because an anti-vax propaganda site says its fake that it is fake.

As I said if you don't want to vaccinate I don't think you should have to, but I do think that you should have to pay a whole lot more for health insurance and I think you should also be able to be sued easily if someone can prove they contracted a diesease which could have been vaccinated against from you.
I knew it was fake as soon as I read it, I didn't need an "anti-vax site" to tell me so. It's propaganda, pure and simple. Mass media is not above publishing or disseminating propaganda. Domestic propaganda is legal once again, thanks to the NDAA. I'm surprised anyone could read that article and fall for it. It really is that ridiculous.

As for the rest of your post, I wholeheartedly disagree. You are in favor of forced vaccination if you are in favor of imposing financial burdens on people who don't share the same views on healthcare as yourself.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It is a very common name, which makes it a great one to use as a phony because how will anyone be able to verify the identity when the name is so common? And I'm not saying that the CDC Amy Parker wrote the article. I just found it funny that is who popped up in my quick search even when I did not type in anything about vaccinations into the search box. This story is fake, fake, fake.
My quick search of the name "Amy Parker" turned up a former Texas beauty queen among others on Facebook; an attorney and a number of business people on LinkedIn; a dentist, an author, the Amy Parker who wrote the above referenced article, but no one that works for the CDC. (This on the first page.) I think you got this Amy Parker of the CDC from the comments to the article. Someone found an Amy Parker Something on the Luther College alumni directory. That Amy Parker Whoever works for the CDC.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,058 times
Quote:

As for the rest of your post, I wholeheartedly disagree. You are in favor of forced vaccination if you are in favor of imposing financial burdens on people who don't share the same views on healthcare as yourself.
As I said I don't think you should have to get vaccinated, but it is only fair to the rest of us that you pay more for insurance since you are going to be more of a risk. Why should my premiums go up because you don't believe in science and need more health care because of it?

Additionally I think it is also only fair that since there are cases of anti-vax people acting as typhoid Mary that that the courts should consider such behavior as reckless disregard for the safety of others.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013...ccine-beliefs/

Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Parents should keep their kids away from vaccines.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
I knew it was fake as soon as I read it, I didn't need an "anti-vax site" to tell me so. It's propaganda, pure and simple. Mass media is not above publishing or disseminating propaganda. Domestic propaganda is legal once again, thanks to the NDAA. I'm surprised anyone could read that article and fall for it. It really is that ridiculous.

If you read the comments, it is documented that the Amy Parker who wrote the essay is real. She is not American, she lives in the UK, and she is indeed a teacher.

As to the idea that it is impossible for her to have had all the illnesses she claims, that is not true. Talk to any of us who are over about 60 years old. I had measles, rubella, and chickenpox. I managed to miss mumps and got the vaccine for that when I went to college. I never had whooping cough, but I did get the old DPT so I was protected against that. Prior to the availability of the MMR, just about everyone caught those three. That is why the vaccine was developed.

I was also vaccinated against smallpox. Now, no one in the world needs it because the smallpox vaccine pushed the virus into extinction.

Then there was polio. I remember the March of Dimes. My parents had first hand contact with a lot of polio patients because they were from the Warm Springs, GA area. I have relatives who worked there, including my father and his sister. You better believe my parents jumped for joy when the polio vaccine came out. There were mass immunizations. My mother came to my elementary school and helped vaccinate me and my classmates.

The point of Amy Parker's essay is that she had multiple illnesses that could have been prevented by vaccines and that she suffered unnecessarily by not getting the vaccines that were available when she was growing up. That is not a lie. It's not propaganda. It's the truth.

I see no problem with making people financially liable if they make a choice that causes another person harm. If you choose to drive drunk and hurt someone else, we hold you responsible for it. For most infectious diseases it would be difficult to prove where you caught it. For some, like measles in this country, the index case can often be identified. So if you get on an airplane, travel to Europe, catch measles because you were unvaccinated, bring it home and give it to someone else, you will likely be identified as the source. As far as I am concerned, you should have to pay the medical bills and reimburse for lost time from work for everyone who got sick because of you.

You need to realize that perhaps your evaluation of the risk to benefit ratio of flu vaccine is flawed. You deny yourself and your family the benefit of the vaccine and contribute to the failure to arrive at a level of vaccine coverage that will produce herd immunity for flu because you fear a complication rate of two in a million from the vaccine and ignore the complication rate for influenza, which is many orders of magnitude higher. Your belief that pursuit of a healthy lifestyle will protect you is also based on fallacy. You can take vitamin D by the pound and still go out in public and touch the wrong doorknob or get sneezed on and catch the flu.

The reports coming out this flu season tell us that the sickest of the sick and those dying have almost universally not been vaccinated and a large number of those getting sick are young and middle aged adults with no underlying health issues. I guess that means they did not wash their hands enough, eh?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That shows what you know, or rather don't know, about flu.
Influenza (flu) Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic
"Influenza and its complications can be deadly. "
Then why am I not dead or suffering some terrible complications? I have never had a flu vaccine. My son lives in my house and had that flu for several days but isn't dead and doesn't seem to have any complications. And no one else living in the home seems to have caught the virus, the incubation period has been long enough.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
As I said I don't think you should have to get vaccinated, but it is only fair to the rest of us that you pay more for insurance since you are going to be more of a risk. Why should my premiums go up because you don't believe in science and need more health care because of it?

Additionally I think it is also only fair that since there are cases of anti-vax people acting as typhoid Mary that that the courts should consider such behavior as reckless disregard for the safety of others.

We Thought We Already Eradicated Measles -- But Thanks To Ongoing Anti-Vaccine Beliefs, It's Back | ThinkProgress
I haven't been hospitalized for any thing, I have never even called in sick to work, I haven't even been to see a doctor in years, my insurance premiums are plenty high and I pay them so how can you really claim that I'm costing you anything? I highly suspect that you use a lot more insurance dollars than I have.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:00 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I haven't been hospitalized for any thing, I have never even called in sick to work, I haven't even been to see a doctor in years, my insurance premiums are plenty high and I pay them so how can you really claim that I'm costing you anything? I highly suspect that you use a lot more insurance dollars than I have.
I seriously doubt that considering I am a healthy 20 something.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you read the comments, it is documented that the Amy Parker who wrote the essay is real. She is not American, she lives in the UK, and she is indeed a teacher.

As to the idea that it is impossible for her to have had all the illnesses she claims, that is not true. Talk to any of us who are over about 60 years old. I had measles, rubella, and chickenpox. I managed to miss mumps and got the vaccine for that when I went to college. I never had whooping cough, but I did get the old DPT so I was protected against that. Prior to the availability of the MMR, just about everyone caught those three. That is why the vaccine was developed.

I was also vaccinated against smallpox. Now, no one in the world needs it because the smallpox vaccine pushed the virus into extinction.

Then there was polio. I remember the March of Dimes. My parents had first hand contact with a lot of polio patients because they were from the Warm Springs, GA area. I have relatives who worked there, including my father and his sister. You better believe my parents jumped for joy when the polio vaccine came out. There were mass immunizations. My mother came to my elementary school and helped vaccinate me and my classmates.

The point of Amy Parker's essay is that she had multiple illnesses that could have been prevented by vaccines and that she suffered unnecessarily by not getting the vaccines that were available when she was growing up. That is not a lie. It's not propaganda. It's the truth.
Her full name appears to be "Amy Laurel Robina Stretch Parker" and she is apparently music teacher living in Cumbria. She also has bipolar disorder which she talks about it in a youtube video. Suzy, she is not over the age of 60. She is 37 and that makes all of her claims of all of her illness', some of which are not or were not vaccine preventable, all the more ridiculous.

She insinuates that a lack of vaccinations were responsible for her contracting measles, mumps, rubella, viral meningitis, scarlatina, whooping couch, yearly tonsillitis and chicken pox. She also claims to have gotten HPV in her early 20's. There is no vaccine for scarlatina, tonsillitis or viral meningitis. Being that she is 37 years old and grew up in the UK, she would not have received a vaccination for mumps or chicken pox. The HPV vaccine was not around when she was in her early 20's. So that leaves her with rubella and the measles as things that could have possibly been prevented with a vaccine. Out of nine illness' that she insinuates could have been prevented if her "crunchy" (is that a common word for brits?) parents had vaccinated her for, in truth, only two out of those nine could have possibly been prevented with vaccines in her day and age.

The language in her article is sensational. She tries to paint people who choose not to vaccinate as "crazies" with comments like this:

Quote:
I was studying homeopathy, herbalism, and aromatherapy; I believed in angels, witchcraft, clairvoyants, crop circles, aliens at Nazca, giant ginger mariners spreading their knowledge to the Aztecs, the Incas, and the Egyptians, and that I was somehow personally blessed by the Holy Spirit with healing abilities. I was having my aura read at a hefty price and filtering the fluoride out of my water" "I was choosing to have past life regressions instead of taking antidepressants. I was taking my daily advice from tarot cards. I grew all my own veg and made my own herbal remedies.
Ummm, ok. What does any of this have to do with vaccine preventable illness or conventional medicine or heath in general?

She say's this:
Quote:
It was only when I took control of those paranoid thoughts and fears about the world around me and became an objective critical thinker that I got well." "It was when I stopped taking sugar pills for everything and started seeing medical professionals that I began to thrive physically and mentally.
She is implying that people who choose alternative health models are not thinking critically and are paranoid. I'd say that her paranoia would probably be more accurately attributed to her untreated mental illness (which she does not mention in her article), not due to a belief in alternative health models.

Here she implies that people who do not vaccinate, don't care about children and enjoy seeing them suffer:
Quote:
I would ask the anti-vaxxers to treat their children with compassion and a sense of responsibility for those around them. I would ask them not to teach their children to be self-serving and scared of the world in which they live and the people around them. (And teach them to love people with autism spectrum disorder or any other disability supposedly associated with vaccines—not to label them as damaged.)" (I have to admit, that was brilliantly done.) Most importantly, I want the anti-vaxxers to see that knowingly exposing your child to illness is cruel...I don’t know about you, but I don’t enjoy watching children suffer.
Her piece is sensationalistic, dishonest and unbelievable. It's classic propaganda. And people read it and make decisions based on it. They think that reading this article constitutes the research involved in making a well informed decision. I am not buying it.
Amy Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I see no problem with making people financially liable if they make a choice that causes another person harm. If you choose to drive drunk and hurt someone else, we hold you responsible for it. For most infectious diseases it would be difficult to prove where you caught it. For some, like measles in this country, the index case can often be identified. So if you get on an airplane, travel to Europe, catch measles because you were unvaccinated, bring it home and give it to someone else, you will likely be identified as the source. As far as I am concerned, you should have to pay the medical bills and reimburse for lost time from work for everyone who got sick because of you.
Of course you are for it. You have said before that you supported Bloomberg's law to force those in daycare to undergo vaccines whether they wanted them or not.

Quote:
You need to realize that perhaps your evaluation of the risk to benefit ratio of flu vaccine is flawed. You deny yourself and your family the benefit of the vaccine and contribute to the failure to arrive at a level of vaccine coverage that will produce herd immunity for flu because you fear a complication rate of two in a million from the vaccine and ignore the complication rate for influenza, which is many orders of magnitude higher. Your belief that pursuit of a healthy lifestyle will protect you is also based on fallacy. You can take vitamin D by the pound and still go out in public and touch the wrong doorknob or get sneezed on and catch the flu.
I do not expect vitamin D to PREVENT the flu. But it will help to lessen the severity and the risk of complications which is the real danger of the flu. I believe in supporting my immune system so that it can do it's job. It's not your preferred health model but it is a health model.

Quote:
The reports coming out this flu season tell us that the sickest of the sick and those dying have almost universally not been vaccinated and a large number of those getting sick are young and middle aged adults with no underlying health issues. I guess that means they did not wash their hands enough, eh?
We need to know many more details about all of the people who died. What were their eating habits like, were they on any medications, did they smoke? Were they obese? Is the reason why so many unvaccinated people die from the flu due to the healthy user effect? We don't know any of this and I think you are overstating the benefits and ignoring important variables.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:

We Thought We Already Eradicated Measles -- But Thanks To Ongoing Anti-Vaccine Beliefs, It's Back | ThinkProgress
Prove that those who choose to forgo the flu vaccine cost more to the system. I have never been hospitalized, I rarely go to the doctor and when I do, I pay for it out of pocket. I haven't had the flu in decades and even when I did, I did not go to the doctor. I have been exposed to the flu and the people who exposed me had all been vaccinated. The flu vaccine's effectiveness is overstated. Much has been shown to actually be due to the "healthy user effect". Don't knock yourself out while patting yourself too hard on the back for getting your vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies