Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 12:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
What on earth would "Ergohead" have to do with the Centers for Disease Control?

"If the English say, “Sit up straight!”, the French will tell you to slouch. If the Germans say, “”Tilt forward, and your spine will be balanced with natural lordosis”, the French will say, “Slouch backwards!” And everyone knows that when the Brits say, “Sit up straight!”, that even they know that you will in very short order be “lazy-forced” into a forward slouch with extreme kyphosis. (The famous C-curve) Then, the Brits will blame YOU for not being Victorian enough for your own good.

The Brits: I command!

The French: Hey, chill out!

The Germans: Think!

The Americans: What Ever!"

High back chair dimensions | Ergoweb

https://www.google.com/#q=ergoweb++ergohead
Thanks for the verification.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I guess only you know the definition of "healthy".

All those kids who died must be closet pack a day smokers, huh?

Last year, 90% of the kids who died were not immunized. About 40% of those who died had no known underlying health problems.

Personal Flu Stories: Why Flu Vaccination Matters | Shot by Shot
Was the nurse who died, "healthy"? Was she overweight? What medications was she taking? The news article said she left the ER with "bags of medicine". What kind of medicine? Did she exercise? What was her diet like? Did she take any supplements. So many unknowns. You know exactly what I'm talking about but you just roll your eyes instead. "no underlying health problems" is not the same as "healthy".

Old 01-12-2014, 12:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
Many people in Canada have been lackadaisical in getting their flu shot this season. Demand wasn't high, so places like Alberta and Manitoba didn't order much stock.
Now the H1N1 virus is spreading like wildfire, people are dying, and there's no flu vaccine to be had. They're all out.
So NOW there's an outcry and anger...."Where's my flu shot? Why can't I get a flu shot?"

Well, where the hell were you when the provinces set up vaccination clinics in the fall? Reading conspiracy sites?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 01-12-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 12:38 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sorry but it does not sound typical for the flu at all and Suzy was trying to paint it as typical in her response to malamute.

This was the op's post from that same thread and does sound typical for the flu:

The OP was sick from Monday morning to Thursday morning. Suzy told malamute that if she recovered over a weekend, it was not the flu.
Seasonal Flu | Flu.gov

"How long does the illness last and how long am I contagious?

Most people who get the flu feel much better within one or two weeks. Most healthy adults can infect others one day before symptoms develop and five to seven days after symptoms appear. Some people, especially young children and people with weakened immune systems, might be contagious for a longer period."

Someone who had an illness that got completely well in two days very likely had something other than influenza.

As of his last post, the OP in the other thread felt better but was still coughing. Hopefully he'll keep us updated.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
@MissTerri: You are also disagreeing with the link I posted. I can give you quite a few more. Of course, Mercola, Wakefield, et al probably don't agree.

What are the symptoms of the H1N1 flu? - H1N1 (Swine Flu) - Sharecare
CDC H1N1 Flu | H1N1 Flu and You
H1N1 Symptoms | H1N1: Swine Flu | H1N1: Swine Flu
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...59026428,d.aWc
Swine Flu (H1N1 Flu) | Seattle Children's Hospital
Granville Health System | H1N1 FAQs
Even one from Canada: Swine flu : Canadian Lung Association

There's much more. A simple google search will enlighten you.

A weekend illness is not likely to be flu.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Many people in Canda have been lackadaisical in getting their flu shot this season. Demand wasn't high, so places like Alberta and Manitoba didn't order much stock.
Now the H1N1 virus is spreading like wildfire, people are dying, and there's no flu vaccine to be had. They're all out.
So NOW there's an outcry and anger...."Where's my flu shot? Why can't I get a flu shot?"

Well, where the hell were you when the provinces set up vaccination clinics in the fall? Reading conspiracy sites?
We are having the same situation in our own little office here in Colorado. We started giving flu vaccine in August, when it came in. We've been giving it ever since. We had extra flu clinics on Saturdays in October, November, December, and one just yesterday with one more scheduled. While our response was good to these clinics, the deniers, procrastinators, etc are angry that we have no more clinics scheduled and we've run out of flu mist. Again, where were they in the early fall?

Quote:
Was the nurse who died, "healthy"? Was she overweight? What medications was she taking? The news article said she left the ER with "bags of medicine". What kind of medicine? Did she exercise? What was her diet like? Did she take any supplements. So many unknowns. You know exactly what I'm talking about but you just roll your eyes instead. "no underlying health problems" is not the same as "healthy".
Quit trying to blame lifestyle for a death caused by a virus!

Old 01-12-2014, 12:45 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
I had the flu some 25 years ago, sick and in bed for a solid 3-4 days. I told the wife to just take the kids and go to her mothers or somewhere, give me water and leave me alone, I was miserable. I started getting the flu shot sometime shortly there after and have not had the flu since. I would be willing to bet, those arguing against the vaccine, most have never had the flu, if you did I bet you would be getting the shot.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We are having the same situation in our own little office here in Colorado. We started giving flu vaccine in August, when it came in. We've been giving it ever since. We had extra flu clinics on Saturdays in October, November, December, and one just yesterday with one more scheduled. While our response was good to these clinics, the deniers, procrastinators, etc are angry that we have no more clinics scheduled and we've run out of flu mist. Again, where were they in the early fall?

Quit trying to blame lifestyle for a death caused by a virus!
Quit trying to blame the lack of vaccine for death caused by a virus when you don't know any of the variables! We don't even have accurate figures for the number of people vaccinated.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:48 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
The op of the thread that Suzy is randomly picking post from to suit her agenda, mrazyattic, who's post I also quoted and posted. It's an active thread on the health board. There is another post there where someone describes "stomach flu" (vomiting and diarrhea every 5 minutes for 2 days straight) as the "flu". Suzy posts there to remind people to get vaccinated but does not bother to tell this poor person that they had "stomach flu" not the flu and that the vaccine cannot help with "stomach flu".
After having been told that influenza can cause GI symptoms, you need to let that one rest.

If you mean the post where the OP describes a previous episode of flu with headache and vomiting, please note that for some folks headaches also trigger nausea.

Influenza and gastrointestinal symptoms

H1N1 Symptoms | H1N1: Swine Flu | H1N1: Swine Flu

"Based on the report by the CDC, H1N1 symptoms include high fever, sneezing, coughing, sore throat, severe headaches, muscle pains or body aches, congestion, chills, weakness and fatigue. There are some people infected with H1N1 virus that exhibits symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting, which are uncommon to influenza patients. The 2009 H1N1 influenza outbreak reported a high percentage of people infected with the virus having diarrhea and vomiting with the regular flu-like symptoms."

To simplify: Flu symptoms + vomiting & diarrhea = influenza (especially during flu season)
Vomiting & diarrhea for a few days - flu symptoms = not influenza = gastroenteritis (stomach flu)

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 01-12-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
What nurse are you talking about? There's no nurse in that video. If you're talking about something on another thread, please just refer us to that thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies