Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:33 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,857 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on this? The thing I find ironic about those who support drug testing programs is that they're usually the same people who scream about 2nd amendment rights when ever gun control is mentioned.

If you're one of those people, how can you defend one part of the constitution while supporting a profiteering governor in Fla. who's violating another?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,334 times
i support the 2nd amendment to the fullest and i live in florida (unfortunately) and i never felt strongly one way or another about this drug testing law.. i guess bc i have the fun of seeing the serious drug problem i dont think its worse in florida then other places but apparently florida does have a higher drug overdorse hospitalizations then other states. so maybe that was a reason for the law i really dont know.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Whatever.. I have to pass a drug test to get a job.

I quit giving a flip about the 4th time I saw the woman pay for her groceries with food stamps and then take her cart outside to load her waiting Lexus parked curbside...

The freeloaders win... what else is new?

Old 01-03-2014, 04:19 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Thoughts on this? The thing I find ironic about those who support drug testing programs is that they're usually the same people who scream about 2nd amendment rights when ever gun control is mentioned.

If you're one of those people, how can you defend one part of the constitution while supporting a profiteering governor in Fla. who's violating another?
You really don't understand the difference?

First show me in the Constitution where welfare is a protected right?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM

863 posts, read 1,196,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You really don't understand the difference?

First show me in the Constitution where welfare is a protected right?

The Constitution never states that welfare is a protected right. What it does guarantee is: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

That's part of a collection of amendments called The Bill of Rights. The right to keep and bear arms is also part of that bill. Hence the question; how can someone get hopping ass mad about having their rights violated when one amendment is threatened yet sponsor something that tromps all over another?

Kees: You choose to work for a company that drug tests employees, I choose not to. Therein lies the difference. We have a choice. Unless it's a blood test, drug tests can still be unreliable and the people they net most are marijuana users. That's because all the really bad drugs can be out of your system in a couple of days so any half wit with a little advanced knowledge can sail right through. With pot, you can be on vacation, smoke one joint, and still test positive 2 weeks later.......which is about 2 weeks later than the drug's effect last. I don't support drug testing for anything except for maybe immediately after an accident. Even then, until better testing is developed, marijuana positives should be ignored. I would however like to see Congress ordered to pee in a bottle on the spur of the moment.

With Florida spending something like $46,000 drug testing over 4,000 applicants and coming up with 108 positives, I'd hardly say that the taxpayers are getting their money's worth.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsuremommy View Post
i support the 2nd amendment to the fullest and i live in florida (unfortunately) and i never felt strongly one way or another about this drug testing law.. i guess bc i have the fun of seeing the serious drug problem i dont think its worse in florida then other places but apparently florida does have a higher drug overdorse hospitalizations then other states. so maybe that was a reason for the law i really dont know.

apple to orange

I never knew receiving welfare was a constitutional right.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:33 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
I would be fine with drug testing welfare recipients if the members of congress took tests every 30 days.
Instead of trying to make lives miserable, wouldn't it be much better to do something about the economy and render every excuse for not working null and void?
I for one would love to live in a country where there is an abundance of decent paying jobs for all.
Right now, if every single person of legal age wanted to work, they couldn't because there are not enough jobs.

Fixing welfare is a band aid fix to a bigger problem.

Americans need to stop thinking so small, so superficial, and so ignorantly. There's a huge series of interconnected problems here and instead of fixing them, we're sticking our finger in the leaky dam when we should be diverting the water, tearing down the dam, and replacing it with a much better dam.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,485 times
Members of Congress have never went through the process obtaining welfare, which the recipients paid into through the employers through wage taxes. Frankly, I can't understand why the HOR and Senate are so against a law designed to protect families during the loss of wages.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:08 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Whatever.. I have to pass a drug test to get a job.

I quit giving a flip about the 4th time I saw the woman pay for her groceries with food stamps and then take her cart outside to load her waiting Lexus parked curbside...

The freeloaders win... what else is new?
Do you know that the Lexus belonged to HER? Perhaps she's someone's maid. Do you know how old the Lexus was? (My car was hit the other day by a Volvo SUV I took to be brand new and, in fact, it turned out to be seven years old.) Do you know for sure she wasn't living in her car? A shocking number of people do. Do you know that very few people get to collect food stamps for lengthy periods of time? If she was loading curbside, is it possible is disabled? Do you know that welfare as we knew it pre-Bill Clinton doesn't exist any more?

Obviously, you DO "give a flip" or you wouldn't be wasting your time complaining about circumstantial evidence that may, or may not, prove anything.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:11 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
apple to orange

I never knew receiving welfare was a constitutional right.
I always wonder why owning a gun when you are not a member of a militia is a constitutional right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies