Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:46 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
President Obama said:

Certainly we need Unemployment benefits - certainly many people exploit unemployment benefits.

Is this not a cheer leading speech by Obama, designed to be Patriotic so that it is harder to criticize and easier to get fired up by it?

Seriously, think about...according to Obama, there are millions of Americans and we do not have the vice of laziness or the thought of taking advantage of a system - none of us do - or so few that Obama has never met one. Get fired up, because Obama says Americans are super people!

Does anyone honestly think Obama has never met someone that would rather have an unemployment check than a job? I have met several. And if you really think that Obama is telling the truth here, would you then admit that he has led an extremely sheltered life that is outside of the real world?
I've never met anyone that would rather have unemployment benefits than a good paying job. There's no doubt that there are people out there that would rather have benefits than work a $7.25/hr job. I haven't met any but its common sense to assume that they are out there.

People who are on unemployment have paid in to the system. They pay in to the system so that if there comes a time where they need benefits they are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:17 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I've never met anyone that would rather have unemployment benefits than a good paying job. There's no doubt that there are people out there that would rather have benefits than work a $7.25/hr job. I haven't met any but its common sense to assume that they are out there.

People who are on unemployment have paid in to the system. They pay in to the system so that if there comes a time where they need benefits they are there.
"People who are on unemployment have paid in to the system"

I believe that unemployment payment goes to the STATES. A few years ago the states ran out of money and "borrowed" from the fed.

The money the workers paid in was TOTALLY used up hence, the fed LOANED them the money.

NC stopped ALL employment payments 1 or 2 years ago after they had run up a 2

"State officials adopted the package of benefit cuts and increased taxes for businesses in February, a plan designed to accelerate repayment of a $2.5 billion federal debt. Like many states, North Carolina had racked up the debt by borrowing from Washington after its unemployment fund was drained by jobless benefits during the Great Recession.

North Carolina Dropped From Federal Unemployment Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies