Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:03 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,977,685 times

Advertisements

The third-world factory workers are not slaves, since no one is forcing or coercing them to work or be employed at these places. In many if not most cases these workers are exploited, but they are not enslaved. Secondly, I appreciate the OP pointing out that the wages they earn aren't as low as they appear to us. The wages are quite low no matter how you slice it, but the cost of living in these countries is much lower than the developed world, which means that those $1 an hour wages go much further than they would in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So now we have Cons advocating that the US be more like 3rd World countries...I wonder how many people that advocate for this would be happy making 3rd World country pay?
I don't see any conservatives on this thread advocating that the U.S. be more like third-world countries . Unless by that you mean trying to get the economic growth rate up, but even then conservatives would like economic policy to emulate Hong Kong and Singapore, both of which are developed countries with high growth rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
After China, they will go to Southwest Asia; then to Central Asia; and finally to sub-Saharan Africa.

Near the end of this century, the economical and cultural center of Earth will be right around India, and then ultimately in the [center of the] Indian Ocean.
In 2100 wealth is projected to be more equal than it is today; to be sure, some countries will pull out ahead of the back and other countries will lag behind, but you won't be seeing differences of 2 or 3 orders of magnitude. This means that the economic center of the Earth will be near the population center of the Earth, which is currently in (of all places) Afghanistan and will move southwestward (probably settling somewhere in the Middle East) as Africa's population growth rate continues to outpace the rest of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,441,923 times
Quote:
People in other States earning less than $3.00/hour can buy homes. They have cars, too.

The question isn't how can people in other States afford to buy a home on $1.35/hour, the question is why can't you do the same?

Too bad neither of you can wrap your brains around Realityâ„¢.

Wow....someone here actually knows how to think critically and apply Critical Thinking Skills.

Maybe you could teach the other two.

Yes, I know.

That's how Economics works.

After China, they will go to Southwest Asia; then to Central Asia; and finally to sub-Saharan Africa.

Near the end of this century, the economical and cultural center of Earth will be right around India, and then ultimately in the [center of the] Indian Ocean.

That's quite a long story actually.

You can dumb it down to your foreign policy.

Economically and historically...

Mircea
Please tell me in what state I can purchase a home on $1.35 an hour. I have no interest in living in a trailer park or hovel OR some backwoods in BFE.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,487,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The third-world factory workers are not slaves, since no one is forcing or coercing them to work or be employed at these places. In many if not most cases these workers are exploited, but they are not enslaved. Secondly, I appreciate the OP pointing out that the wages they earn aren't as low as they appear to us. The wages are quite low no matter how you slice it, but the cost of living in these countries is much lower than the developed world, which means that those $1 an hour wages go much further than they would in the U.S.
That is it. ...

Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I never said anything about employees being enslaved, I was however saying workers in third world factories are being exploited with low pay and sweatshop conditions, so I see we agree on that.

That is fine if the cost of living is lower in those countries, but that is where taxing imports comes in to make up for the loss of jobs to countries with a much lower cost of living.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,092,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its called inflation, and most folks who have taken a economics class actually understand that small amounts of it are a good thing.
Wow, you really know how to twist, distort and misrepresent everything.

Go ahead and explain how Interest Inflation, Wage Inflation, Real Inflation, Cost-push Inflation and Demand-pull Inflation are "good things."

Quote:
So now we have Cons advocating that the US be more like 3rd World countries.
No one is advocating anything.

We previously established in another thread that you do not understand Economics, and that's fine, you don't have to, but continually foisting Straw Man fallacies on people by claiming that an explanation of a naturally occurring phenomenon is tantamount to advocating a position is absurd.

Quote:
I wonder how many people that advocate for this would be happy making 3rd World country pay?
Every persons that understands...which is obviously not you.

Are you saying the US was a 3rd World State in 1967, since minimum wage was $1.40/hour?

Americans survived on $0.60/hour, why can't people in other States?

At $0.60/hour were Americans "homeless" (snicker)? Destitute? Impoverished?

No, sorry to rain all over your fantasy.

Americans bought houses, rented apartment, bought cars, bought clothes and shoes, went on holiday, traveled, drank beer and wine, dined out, went to shows.....specifically vaudeville shows, since that was in the 1920s.

These developing-States have reached a point in development where you once were.....please do your best to try to wrap your mind around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
How could people who developed these policies - from either side of it[those who wanted to help the poor in underdeveloped countries, & those who wanted to increase their bottom lines with cheap labor] NOT see that a global economy might raise the poor but not without lowering those doing OK?
You make a great point showing the hypocrisy of Liberals.

Liberals decried the plight of the 3rd (and 4th) World, yet now that they are advancing, Liberals cry it isn't fair.

Quote:
It's just math 5+1 / 2 = 3. Somebody comes up, somebody goes down.
That's excellent.

The Laws of Economics (like all Natural Laws) are about achievement harmony, balance and equilibrium.

However, harmony, balance and equilibrium do not equate to "equality" or "fairness." You most certainly can have equilibrium without equality.

Quote:
A little bit of protectionism seems to be a good thing, but that container has left the dock.
Oh, and you were doing so well.

Protectionism cannot help you here.

I can't help but notice an extreme narrow-mindedness that I would attribute to ethnocentrism.

The World is not the US, and the US is not the World....there are 190-odd States out there.

Everyone is so narrowly focused on "cheap Chinese imports" but that is only half of the equation. What are "cheap Chinese imports"? Are they not also "cheap Chinese exports"? Yeah, they are. And where are those "cheap Chinese exports" going?

To the entire World, not just exclusively to the US.

How can the US possibly compete against China exporting goods to Romania?

You can't....

How can the US possibly compete against the Philippines exporting goods to Germany?

You can't....

How can the US possibly compete against Romania exporting goods to the Philippines?

You can't...

A lot of these morons want to raise the "federal" minimum wage to $15/hour, 'cause, you know, that will make the US more competitive globally than a Romanian whose minimum wage is $1.40/hour.

A Japanese-made Nissei plastic-injection molding machine makes 12 plastic spoons an hour, whether I have a schipperke, a chimpanzee, a retard, a high school drop-out, a union worker, an MBA or a robot running the machine.

Between a $15/hour American and a $14.40/hour Romanian, which is more productive?

Neither...they are equally productive....but the Romanian is more cost-effective, and that is true for every 2nd, 3rd and 4th World State.

If you can't compete in the 440, then you need to stop competing in the 440 and start competing in the 440-Relay, or the 100 meter, or the 100 meter hurdles or something.

Find something else to do. You should have been in the 5th Level (R&D) Economy in the 1990s, but everyone let the Left-Wing, unions and government destroy your education system, you can't even produce students who can spell "Research & Development."

Like I've been saying since 2007, changes are taking place, you need leadership in the White House to guide you through those changes, you need to re-invent yourself, you need to re-think everything, and you need to alter your life-style, and you can do those things voluntarily proactively, or have them re-actively involuntarily rammed down your throats.

If the game-plan is going to be steal from the 50% to support a life-style for the other 50% on the basis that people are "entitled" to cell-phones and internet and a 50" plasma tv in every room and cable and satellite and 5 cars and a castle, then you've already lost.

Prognosticating....

Mircea

Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,092,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Please tell me in what state I can purchase a home on $1.35 an hour. I have no interest in living in a trailer park or hovel OR some backwoods in BFE.
Sorry...didn't mean to talk over your head....a State is any organized political entity with a defined territory that exercises sovereignty.

The Kingdom of Denmark is a State; the State of Minnesota is a State. The Republic of Slovakia is a State; the Commonwealth of Kentucky is a State. Afghanistan is the absence of a State, since the government only exercises control over the province of Kabul. You could say the same about Libya, since the government does not exercise complete sovereignty, and because Hillary said so....right before Benghazi.

I use the word 'State' in its proper usage to counter-socialize people who have been harmed by Left-Wing demagoguery and other morons who insist the US is a nation, when it never has been, and never will be (at least not for centuries to come), and who also attempt to imply that the US should be under a highly centralized government, contradicting the US Constitution.

I also do it to counter-socialize idiotic "comparisons": comparing Japan and Utah are appropriate, but Japan and the US are absurd. Comparing Florida and Germany is appropriate, but the US and Germany is stupid. Comparing the Soviet Union and the United States is valid; comparing Komi ASSR and the US is stupid, but comparing Komi ASSR and Nebraska is not.

All 50 US States are sovereign; the fact that they agreed to speak as one voice in matters of war, defense, treaties, international commerce and trade, and the coining of money does not alter the fact that they are sovereign entities unto their own.

Lot of States in Central and South America, North Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, Central Asia, Eastern Europe, the Balkans, Southwest Asia and such were you can buy a nice house.

I paid a little over $13,000 for a four-bedroom on 24 hectares (whatever that is) and a barn and a, well, grazda....it's like a barn, but it isn't a barn -- can't exactly explain it in English.

You can get a nice place outside Vindin in Bulgaria. Get yourself a boat and keep it on the river --- don't ask me the English name, because I can never remember, but you can cruise on up to Bud-a-Pest and see all the concerts by rock bands and even cruise up into Germany for Oktoberfest.

Sounds like you want a McMansion or McCastle in town center and probably 3-4 cars and 54" plasma tv in every room.....you're gonna need a job that pays at least $4-$5/hour for that.

Internationally...

Mircea

Old 01-08-2014, 03:49 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,487,137 times
By myself I can start out with nothing the first day,
and from then on I can live on $10.00 a day,
and way before the end of a year ( 365 days )
I will not be living on the streets, and eating real good
before the first week is over ! ! !

Old 01-08-2014, 05:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,441,923 times
Quote:
Sorry...didn't mean to talk over your head....a State is any organized political entity with a defined territory that exercises sovereignty.

The Kingdom of Denmark is a State; the State of Minnesota is a State. The Republic of Slovakia is a State; the Commonwealth of Kentucky is a State. Afghanistan is the absence of a State, since the government only exercises control over the province of Kabul. You could say the same about Libya, since the government does not exercise complete sovereignty, and because Hillary said so....right before Benghazi.

I use the word 'State' in its proper usage to counter-socialize people who have been harmed by Left-Wing demagoguery and other morons who insist the US is a nation, when it never has been, and never will be (at least not for centuries to come), and who also attempt to imply that the US should be under a highly centralized government, contradicting the US Constitution.

I also do it to counter-socialize idiotic "comparisons": comparing Japan and Utah are appropriate, but Japan and the US are absurd. Comparing Florida and Germany is appropriate, but the US and Germany is stupid. Comparing the Soviet Union and the United States is valid; comparing Komi ASSR and the US is stupid, but comparing Komi ASSR and Nebraska is not.

All 50 US States are sovereign; the fact that they agreed to speak as one voice in matters of war, defense, treaties, international commerce and trade, and the coining of money does not alter the fact that they are sovereign entities unto their own.

Lot of States in Central and South America, North Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, Central Asia, Eastern Europe, the Balkans, Southwest Asia and such were you can buy a nice house.

I paid a little over $13,000 for a four-bedroom on 24 hectares (whatever that is) and a barn and a, well, grazda....it's like a barn, but it isn't a barn -- can't exactly explain it in English.

You can get a nice place outside Vindin in Bulgaria. Get yourself a boat and keep it on the river --- don't ask me the English name, because I can never remember, but you can cruise on up to Bud-a-Pest and see all the concerts by rock bands and even cruise up into Germany for Oktoberfest.

Sounds like you want a McMansion or McCastle in town center and probably 3-4 cars and 54" plasma tv in every room.....you're gonna need a job that pays at least $4-$5/hour for that.

Internationally...

Mircea
Pass.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:15 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Mircea, If you need to understand why inflation is good you really dont understand economics well.

heres a quick tutorial that a quick scan of looks right:
Why Deflation Is Bad And Inflation Is Good: Monetary Policy 101 - Seeking Alpha

Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yay! we can all work for slave labor rates, THATS SO AWESOME.

Really?
Yay, you get the crap you can't live without cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies