Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times

Advertisements

For those of you who think being gay is normal, I'd like you to explain how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Being gay isn't normal.
Neither is being left-handed. Only 5% of men are over 6'2" tall. So someone who is 6'4" isn't normal.

I think what we really need to be worried about is the drop in the blue-eyed population. I mean, 100 years ago about 50% of the US population had blue eyes and now only 1 in 6 people have blue eyes. So it's no longer normal!

Imagine the home next door to you is sold and when you meet your new neighbor, he is 6'3" tall, has blue eyes and is left-handed.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:16 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are mental illnesses that debilitate people's lives. Being gay doesn't debilitate someone's life in any way. Bigoted and prejudiced people are what debilitate the lives of (some) gay people. Most gay people are strong enough to not give a rats ass what the bigots say.
just because it doesn't affect their lives doesn't mean it isn't an abnormality or mental illness. I wholeheartedly believe that a man preferring to sleep with another man or a woman preferring to sleep with another woman is an imbalance. It doesn't mean I hate these people or would deprive them of their rights, I just think it's an abnormality.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
For those of you who think being gay is normal, I'd like you to explain how?
It is normal because it is a natural phenomenon whose rate of occurrence remains stable over time. It was not selected out of the population; straight people continue to give birth to homosexuals, so it must not be harmful, and may even be beneficial in some way. Do not confuse "normal" with "common". A thing can be both perfectly normal and rare at the same time.

The real question is "Does it even matter if it is normal/common or not?", when having discussions about the legal rights of people. The answer is no, it does not.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post

Evander Holyfield Attacks Gays on UK Big Brother - YouTube

The former heavyweight champion said being gay "ain't normal" on the reality show
By Megan Gibson / London

Read more: Evander Holyfield Makes Anti-Gay Comments on 'Celebrity Big Brother' | TIME.com Evander Holyfield Makes Anti-Gay Comments on 'Celebrity Big Brother' | TIME.com

Now, let's see if he gets the same treatment as our friend on Duck Dynasty.
He has a right to his opinion, which I share. Good for Holyfield for speaking up for decent morals.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Neither is being left-handed. Only 5% of men are over 6'2" tall. So someone who is 6'4" isn't normal.

I think what we really need to be worried about is the drop in the blue-eyed population. I mean, 100 years ago about 50% of the US population had blue eyes and now only 1 in 6 people have blue eyes. So it's no longer normal!

Imagine the home next door to you is sold and when you meet your new neighbor, he is 6'3" tall, has blue eyes and is left-handed.
I'm a natural blonde. I must be abnormal as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:26 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I believe a high percentage of blacks think this way about gays (even if they're on the d/l).
you are right about that

Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
How was his statements "anti-gay"?????

All he said was that being gay wasn't normal, which is true in my and many others options. He did not make any "anti-gay" comments though.

I don't think getting your body covered in tattoos is normal either. I suppose I am "anti-people-with-tattoos" now huh?

Grow up. There are always going to be people who look at homosexuality as abnormal. It doesn't mean they hate gays.
Did you listen to the video? That's not all he said. He made some really ignorant comments.

He said homosexuality ain't normal, it's 'wrong', that it's a choice, that it's like being born with a crooked foot that can be straightened, and that it can be 'fixed'.

How is that not 'anti-gay'?

He has the right to his opinions, no matter how ignorant or prejudiced. But as a contestant on Big Brother, he doesn't have the right to express them on air in the house because of his contract.

He was pulled up for his comments by the producers just as other contestants have been pulled up for making racist comments in the Big Brother house.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
He has a right to his opinion, which I share. Good for Holyfield for speaking up for decent morals.
You identify with the strangest people.

So you share his opinion that homosexuals are like people born with a crooked leg that can be straightened and fixed? Or that it's a choice? Do you realize they are contradictory statements?

Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

I think what we really need to be worried about is the drop in the blue-eyed population.
Unless the person is a left handed homosexual or tall homosexual this example does not apply as not all left handed or all tall people are homosexual as well. Same goes for eye color, hair color, etc. and any other traits not exclusively limited to only the homosexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies