Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Just defund it. That effectively kills it.
Does not work. The law sets limits on the practices of the insurance companies that would result in a meltdown of the whole system if defunded.

You simply have to undue the changes. Like no pre-existing conditions and life time limits and equal treatment for mental illness. Those three alone break the insurance companies without the mandate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Tthe law says people cannot be jailed for not paying the fine, nor can they be criminally prosecuted, or have liens put on their property. In most cases, the Internal Revenue Service would simply withhold refunds.
It didn't ask you what the law is, I know what the law is. What I asked you is when we can expect those types of measures in an attempt to make the law work. As far as the refunds go that is joke and easily circumvented, if you are getting a refund you have overpaid the government. It's nothing more than a short term interest free loan you gave them and you should adjust your withholding so there is no refund.

Quote:
the mandate is fair.
Fair or unfair is irrelevant, it's the linchpin of this law and if it doesn't work then the rest of it is doomed to failure. The mandate is exactly how insurance has always worked, you spread the risk across a large population before they become sick. The healthy people pay for those that are sick.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Easier said than done.

Once entitlement programs are started. It's next to impossible to take it away.
We are stuck with this monstrosity now, that ship has sailed. You have X million's of people that have signed up for this that are sick and in need of care, that's great for them but now someone has to pay for it. As things are looking now the people that were supposed to pay for it are not signing up.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As things are looking now the people that were supposed to pay for it are not signing up.
Harrier is proud to be one of them.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:33 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It didn't ask you what the law is, I know what the law is. What I asked you is when we can expect those types of measures in an attempt to make the law work. As far as the refunds go that is joke and easily circumvented, if you are getting a refund you have overpaid the government. It's nothing more than a short term interest free loan you gave them and you should adjust your withholding so there is no refund.

Fair or unfair is irrelevant, it's the linchpin of this law and if it doesn't work then the rest of it is doomed to failure. The mandate is exactly how insurance has always worked, you spread the risk across a large population before they become sick. The healthy people pay for those that are sick.

My point was that the law specifically states those measures won't be employed, that isn't going to change without legislative action, and that's highly unlikely, so I don't see that happening.

It might help if conservatives would stop encouraging people to stay uninsured, with some Koch sponsored groups even throwing booze and model filled "opt out" parties. It benefits everyone to have our young people insured. The young often feel invincible, but an illness or injury can happen to anyone at any time, if they are uninsured most won't be able to pay the bill, this causes insurance rates to rise for those who do have it, and taxpayers pick up the rest of the tab. A survey found the insured pay an extra $1000 per year, plus taxes to pay for the 42 billion in unpaid medical bills accumulated by the uninsured.

I was raised that having health insurance was part of being an adult, apparently many young people were raised that someone else should pay if you get sick or injured. If something happens and you can't pay for it, the taxpayers and people who were responsible enough to get insurance pay the cost, that is irresponsible.

Last edited by detshen; 01-13-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 04:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Likewise.

I found a way to get back my insurance the liar had cancelled. I got a policy from BC/BS tailored for my needs for a year less a day. Then 24 hours later renew it. My plan the way I like it, not having to get all that garbage that Obamacare mandates for roughly 75% less than what I would get on the exchange.

A lovely little loophole around the abortion that was allowed to be born.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I was able to keep my policy but I will do everything possible to not go through the exchange.

It may not make any difference, but It will to me.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:07 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I was able to keep my policy but I will do everything possible to not go through the exchange.

It may not make any difference, but It will to me.
U don't have to go through the exchanges if you don't qualify for a subsidy.

But it's a mute point if you don't have a grandfathered plan because the plans offered with insurers directly and the exchanges are exactly the same.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Likewise.

I found a way to get back my insurance the liar had cancelled. I got a policy from BC/BS tailored for my needs for a year less a day. Then 24 hours later renew it. My plan the way I like it, not having to get all that garbage that Obamacare mandates for roughly 75% less than what I would get on the exchange.

A lovely little loophole around the abortion that was allowed to be born.
Just so I'm clear on this: If you keep your policy for 364 days, you can have it your way in terms of coverage? Do you cancel it on day 364, wait 24 hours, then renew?

How in the hell did you ever discover this loophole?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Don't you just love how the feds determine what you can afford ?

So they named it the ppaffordable care act.

You will be told what you can afford. If you protest you are racist and hate the poor and women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies