Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times

Advertisements

I get this objection to the Founders as philosophers a lot in my political arguments, too. Any thoughts?

Mark Levin eviscerates lib argument about Framers, slavery, and the Constitution [VIDEO] » The Right Scoop -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
The founders owned slaves. The Constitution as first written did not include black men.

The founders were still bright, dedicated and courageous men, and the Constitution is still a brilliant document.

That's my "lib" argument.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
The Constitution would have never passed if it did not permit slavery. The founders created a way to eliminate it later.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The founders owned slaves. The Constitution as first written did not include black men.

The founders were still bright, dedicated and courageous men, and the Constitution is still a brilliant document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The Constitution would have never passed if it did not permit slavery. The founders created a way to eliminate it later.
I agree with both of you. I think this is kinda what Levin was saying.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post

The founders didn't eliminate it. The thirteenth amendment did in 1865.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:

That would be incorrect.

The Constitution didnt allow slaves things like the right to vote, but slaves were also white, not just black.

The 15th amendment, which gave blacks the right to vote, didnt limit it to blacks for a reason.

Section 1: The right of citizens of the United States vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
Section 2: The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The founders didn't eliminate it. The thirteenth amendment did in 1865.
I don't think that's in dispute. I think the Founders knew they'd never form a union had they insisted on slavery's demise.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That would be incorrect.

The Constitution didnt allow slaves things like the right to vote, but slaves were also white, not just black.

The 15th amendment, which gave blacks the right to vote, didnt limit it to blacks for a reason.

Section 1: The right of citizens of the United States vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
Section 2: The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Good point. There were plenty of white Europeans shipped here as indentured servants.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 PM

Look, nobody said the Constitution sanctioned slavery. It didn't. What has been argued is the the founders, by owning slaves, sanctioned slavery. It was mentioned in the video that the founders left it up to their progeny to eliminate slavery. Yes, they did.

Realisitically, if the founders had tried to eliminate slavery, the Constitution would never have been passed.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I don't think that's in dispute. I think the Founders knew they'd never form a union had they insisted on slavery's demise.

You beat me to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies