Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Bull, if marriage was about protecting the children, then divorce should not be allowed till the children are grown. You think it benefits the child to have one, two maybe three step dads or moms. Real value there for sure, teach them that committments mean squat, do not like your spouse, get a divore and start over with Daddy #2 or #3. Marriage and their rights granted by the federal government has nothing to do with kids. Absolutely nothing. Totally separate set of rights for families with kids, married or not.
So pretty much.... people in general suck at maintaining long term personal relationships. That would be all people, regardless of their private sexual preferences.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:50 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It kinds of proves the point that it was never about benefits, or even marriage. It was always about harnessing the long arm of the law to push their agenda.
What's that agenda again, to turn you gay?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:53 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
So pretty much.... people in general suck at maintaining long term personal relationships. That would be all people, regardless of their private sexual preferences.
Some yes, some no.
My mom was married to my dad for 38 years until he died. My little sister has been married 3 times.
I know homosexual couples that have been together for 30+ years. I know homosexual that can't seem to stay with the same person for more that a few years.

Sexual orientation has nothing to do with the ability to commit to another person.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
What's that agenda again, to turn you gay?

If that is truly someone's fear of being "converted", then perhaps that person could have a few issues and insecurities that they may need to work out themselves. Know what I mean? I have no fear of being "converted", because I KNOW for fact that I CAN'T be!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Some yes, some no.
My mom was married to my dad for 38 years until he died. My little sister has been married 3 times.
I know homosexual couples that have been together for 30+ years. I know homosexual that can't seem to stay with the same person for more that a few years.

Sexual orientation has nothing to do with the ability to commit to another person.
That is what i said. Being in a lesbian relationship does not mean the two are super moms, nor does it mean they are prone to being child abusers. People are people, and if they were all moral, ethical, and worked well with others, we would need a whole bunch fewer laws and regs.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
That is what i said. Being in a lesbian relationship does not mean the two are super moms, nor does it mean they are prone to being child abusers. People are people, and if they were all moral, ethical, and worked well with others, we would need a whole bunch fewer laws and regs.
No it means that we are just as capable of marriage and raising children as any other couple. It also means that homosexual are just as worthy of the legal protections that marriage provides. Yes, people are people, but SOME people want to deny OTHER people equal protections for completely nonsensical reasons.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
As long as you redefine the purpose and function for why our culture and society demanded government's involvement in marriage.
Really? Show any of those 1049 federal rights that have anything to do with raising children. Show me anywhere on the federal marriage certificate and license that one must have children or that children are a required outcome of the marriage. Government got involved in marriage because of the money and the taxes. And we gays pay taxes too and we have money too. Fine a legitimate reason to deny us marriage or why the government should only promote heterosexual marriage only and not both.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
And if your state had civil unions for same sex couples you would have property and inheritance protections. But instead of striving for something most people would agree to, you bang heads with people by demanding we all must equate same sex couples with traditional marriage.
We did try for civil unions and domestic partnerships and in those states that forbid or banned same sex marriage, like Florida, they also banned any relationship protections or benefits that even remotely resembles civil marriage. So, you see, it is you all that do your damnedest to prevent us from having those civil unions that you then say we should be happy with intstead.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
We did try for civil unions and domestic partnerships and in those states that forbid or banned same sex marriage, like Florida, they also banned any relationship protections or benefits that even remotely resembles civil marriage. So, you see, it is you all that do your damnedest to prevent us from having those civil unions that you then say we should be happy with intstead.
Isn't it funny? They deny us ANY legal recognition, THEN when they start losing on the marriage issue, then it is either "how about a civil union" or "get rid of marriage". The poster you responded to said that we should just fight for civil marriage. What do they think we HAVE been fighting for? A big church wedding? I know several churches that would marry me tomorrow if I wanted and that is in BFE Mississippi.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It kinds of proves the point that it was never about benefits, or even marriage. It was always about harnessing the long arm of the law to push their agenda.
That has exactly been what the church has been doing, forcing their beliefs upon everyone through enacting laws. it is the church and its menions that have created this war and are forcing the hand of the government that has reason to recognize all of its tax paying US citizens, not just its straight or christian citizens. We are not a theocracy that enforces religious doctrine. We never will be, for religion does not equate equality, religion is tyranny and subjugation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies