Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
Need what? Shoddy service and outages, but no bill?
Id rather the monopoly on services be ended, so I can pick the best provider based on my needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 06:38 AM

278 posts, read 273,770 times
We shouldn't have to pay for electricity or water. Its a need not a want.Should be provided free of service.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Utilities companies work hard to keep in a monopoly set up. Customers are not allowed to generate their own power, If they do they sell it to the power company and get credit for it.

We need to stop allowing power companies to have such authority over our lives. ALEC repeatedly pushes for legislation that hurts the development of alternate energies. We need solar and wind power these will be the sources that allow us not to be captive of utility companies and foreign oil.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
A long time ago my wife's family lived on a farm in western Pennsylvania. They has their own shallow natural gas well in the back yard. It provided both heat and the first electricity in the area. Another part of the family had their own coal mine. Unfortunately we have never lived in a place with those amenities.

We live in a condo in southern NH and have "electric cold" for our heat. Thank Mr. Furenstein and Malden Mills for Polar Fleece.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Again, years ago, Utility companies took the money they were making and did preventative maintenance....for instance, all summer long, they went our entire community and cut trees away from the lines....they don't do that any longer and that is why we have many more power outages then we should...if, we'd have an ice storm, and cold weather that lasted for weeks, like years ago, we'd be screwed, cold and a lot of people would die. I remember an ice storm that lasted for days, you couldn't drive anywhere, everywhere it was ice...pipes froze, no heat, you couldn't go to work....

go ahead people laugh, and make snyd remarks, until it happens to you...there is, to me, nothing worse then being cold for days on end....when the tempers outside don't even meet 0 degrees.

Yet, utility companies do not plan ahead any longer, they simply charge more and more money, so they can live they're life of luxury, in spite of what really needs to be done regarding preventative maintenance. They don't cut they're pays, and to boot, if they are running short, they cut men...they cut preventative maintenance, so they can put this money in their pockets.

You people have no idea what is going on out there in the real world.

They just placed another tax on gas in PA so that they can do (ROAD REPAIR) but guess what, they won't use that money for road repair like they promise....why, b/c every thing is corrupt, it's all going in to their pockets, their offices, their lush dinners, parties, hotels, etc. Sking Trips, luxury cruises, etc.....I know this b/c 28 years ago, they did the same thing, and said they were going to fix the roads and bridges, but, they never did....and most people forgot or were not even aware that they did this? Philadelphia is broke, broke, but they keep spending money, the Mayor keeps funding those great big extravaganzas with top name groups down in Philly??????? And no one is holding him accountable, but hey, lay off police, firemen, close down fire stations, it's way more important to have JayZee at the 4th of July cerimony, right?

No one in this country knows how to run companies properly and efficently...it's all about the stockholders, and top management/CEO's that they get their bonus, regardless of the people and the costs they have to cut to get them, not to mention how they rape their customers, and don't think twice about it.

OK creme, try to focus...and read all the way please!
I didn't say this was a catastrophic event (which is why Utilities have insurance) I did say weather variable events effecting cost are typically covered by a fuel adjustment clause.(only one item they are used for) I also said that electric bills are on the raise and will continue to be for the forseeable future. I also said why....FUEL. That's the magic stuff the creates the more magical stuff that comes out of the wall in your house to power every aspect of your life. The current vogue in the world is to stop useing the cheapest fuel there is to create electricity (coal) and turn to another resource (Natural Gas) Now the problem occurs when the vast majority of us use natural gas to heat our homes in the Winter and all of us try to use Natural gas to make electricity. Now comes the law of supply and demand, the more you want something that everyone else wants the more it's going to cost. I had my furnace cranked for the last six days. I'm sure my gas bill will be high but my electricity comes from wonderfull, abundent, always running coal so my electric bill will stay low. A quick search seems to indicate that a number of coal plants have been recently shutdown there in PA. (BTW you folks have lots of coal) The most likley resource this gap was natural gas
http://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=pa

http://www.instituteforenergyresearc...lant-Closures-
6.7.12.jpg

I tend to agree with you on Utility CEO think my Boss makes way to much money for what he does!

Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Yes, I am so tired of corrupt politics and utility companies all over this country.
So, on the way home last evening, I heard on a local station, that we should get ready for a bill hike from the electric companies, all b/c of two days of cold weather?????? WHAT?

So, your telling me, b/c we had 2 days of cold weather, that is your lame excuse to hike up the power bills again? You people are truly sick....what about in the summer, when the heat is on and everyone is running their air conditioners?

Anything for the CEO's to make big bucks, at the cost of everyone else.

and while we're on the subject, found out, that COMCAST is trying to buy Disney? So, that tells you how they've been raping their customers all these years....

Just think about the power Comcast would have, they'd not only own Disney, but all of the franchises, like ABC
Well, Comcast owns NBCUniversal, they also produce film and television contents, operate cable channels, national channels (NBC and Telemundo), the major film studio Universal Pictures, and Universal Parks & Resorts.

As for higher prices due to cold weather, IF the electrical demand was greater than the output capability of your electric company, they would have been forced to BUY electricity from another company and PAY whatever they were charged, and trust me, they are going to pass that cost on to you.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Yes, I am so tired of corrupt politics and utility companies all over this country.
So, on the way home last evening, I heard on a local station, that we should get ready for a bill hike from the electric companies, all b/c of two days of cold weather?????? WHAT?

So, your telling me, b/c we had 2 days of cold weather, that is your lame excuse to hike up the power bills again? You people are truly sick....what about in the summer, when the heat is on and everyone is running their air conditioners?

Anything for the CEO's to make big bucks, at the cost of everyone else.

and while we're on the subject, found out, that COMCAST is trying to buy Disney? So, that tells you how they've been raping their customers all these years....

Just think about the power Comcast would have, they'd not only own Disney, but all of the franchises, like ABC
If you elect me, "energy prices will necessarily skyrocket under my energy plan'

So why did people elect the guy who made this promise....perhaps they didn't believe him?

Now you know with whom to register your complaints but don't expect an answer as the economy is well on its way to recovery and you just have to deal with it.

Remember the tax from the oil companies keeps the US government afloat.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
it is not cheap, and I will tell you this, when the CEO of PP&L builds a giant castle in Coopersburg, PA and I mean a giant Castle, on the top of a hill, and then, all summer, and I mean all summer, has tri-axels bringing dirt in, to build up the mountain he is on, for his in ground swimming pool...that sucks big time...
Pay Attention:
No one, but no one is worth that much money and the point I'm trying to make is this.....
They are raping the people big time, (they're customers) so they can pay their CEO's and upper managment for doing what? Hiring Consultants to come in and tell them how to do their jobs, and if you think I'm fabricating this, you've got another think coming. And, it's going to continue to get worse...you have no idea how much these people are making at our expense....our expense! So go ahead, joke all you want...and talk about some kind of bogus insurance for catastrophic events I mean really, that is what you came up with for 2 days of cold weather, which I might add once again, was the norm, for weeks back in the early 50's, early 60's.

And what about all the heat in the summer, all summer, when people are running their air conditioners for months?????? I cannot believe this and how ridiculous it sounds, and how utterly stupid people are.
Backing the utility companies....

If Comcast can afford to buy out Disney, and all other subsidiaries, you know how much they are raping us for....? And then some woman tells me to drop the cable. I had to sign a 2 year contract. I cannot drop it....and why, why are these people charging us so much, and worse, why is America settleing for this? My raise of 1% doesn't even cover the raises and costs of living, i.e. insurances, house insurance, car insurance, medical insurance, utilities, food costs, etc.

I cannot believe how utterly complaciant people are about all of this....it's going to affect all of you sooner or later....and your joking about it? There are less jobs in this country then ever before! Try and go out and get a job....a good paying job to cover morgage and expenses. And then the liberal media has the odacity to tell us, the economy is getting better, and then, turn around and report that this company and that company are laying off people???????????

Everyone is getting so greedy....farming all of our jobs out of this country....and companies are treating their employees like poop, why? Because they can, b/c there is no competition for jobs....it's going back to the times before unions were organized to protect people, mark my words....and you people are making sick jokes, why, b/c as of yet, it hasn't effected you?
Why is cable so expensive?
Simple, they are required to pay the local channels and other cable channels a fee, every time they go into "negotiations", and you see that little banner across the bottom or top of the screen that says, "After midnight the 30th of of xxx, you may no longer get this channel, call your cable or satellite provider and tell them you don't want to lose this channel", what's happening is they are upping the amount the cable provider has to pay to carry it, in some cases forcing them to carry other channels as well, and then forcing it to be provided as part of the BASIC package thus forcing the company to charge YOU and I more money for something we may not have wanted in the first place, or may have got for free with an antenna.

THAT's why it's so expensive.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
it is not cheap, and I will tell you this, when the CEO of PP&L builds a giant castle in Coopersburg, PA and I mean a giant Castle, on the top of a hill, and then, all summer, and I mean all summer, has tri-axels bringing dirt in, to build up the mountain he is on, for his in ground swimming pool...that sucks big time...
Pay Attention:
No one, but no one is worth that much money and the point I'm trying to make is this.....
They are raping the people big time, (they're customers) so they can pay their CEO's and upper managment for doing what? Hiring Consultants to come in and tell them how to do their jobs, and if you think I'm fabricating this, you've got another think coming. And, it's going to continue to get worse...you have no idea how much these people are making at our expense....our expense! So go ahead, joke all you want...and talk about some kind of bogus insurance for catastrophic events I mean really, that is what you came up with for 2 days of cold weather, which I might add once again, was the norm, for weeks back in the early 50's, early 60's.

And what about all the heat in the summer, all summer, when people are running their air conditioners for months?????? I cannot believe this and how ridiculous it sounds, and how utterly stupid people are.
Backing the utility companies....

If Comcast can afford to buy out Disney, and all other subsidiaries, you know how much they are raping us for....? And then some woman tells me to drop the cable. I had to sign a 2 year contract. I cannot drop it....and why, why are these people charging us so much, and worse, why is America settleing for this? My raise of 1% doesn't even cover the raises and costs of living, i.e. insurances, house insurance, car insurance, medical insurance, utilities, food costs, etc.

I cannot believe how utterly complaciant people are about all of this....it's going to affect all of you sooner or later....and your joking about it? There are less jobs in this country then ever before! Try and go out and get a job....a good paying job to cover morgage and expenses. And then the liberal media has the odacity to tell us, the economy is getting better, and then, turn around and report that this company and that company are laying off people???????????

Everyone is getting so greedy....farming all of our jobs out of this country....and companies are treating their employees like poop, why? Because they can, b/c there is no competition for jobs....it's going back to the times before unions were organized to protect people, mark my words....and you people are making sick jokes, why, b/c as of yet, it hasn't effected you?
As for the job thing?
Here are just a few PAGES of energy jobs avaiable in PA....
Energy Jobs in PA (Hiring) - Pennsylvania Energy Jobs | Jobs2Careers

Old 01-10-2014, 12:25 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
I again say, everyone is getting greedy....that is the bottom line...
and apparently you people refuse to see that....
the utility companies are raping us, all of them, and not doing preventative maintenance, as they should....
it seems everyone today knows how to apply instant gratification, without thinking about tomorrow, rob Peter to pay Paul, without any thought for it's customers.....

and as far as jobs, if and when they do exist, you have 1,500 people applying for one job....
and remember, a lot of people do not have college degrees

It is easy to make excuses when you are not effected....but wait, give it time...and soon, it's going to hit everyone in America like a ton of bricks....you refuse to see what is really going on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies