Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We're talking about the Dept of Justice, not the Dept of Education involved in the schools.
Because Holder thinks getting in trouble in school leads to jail time.
And we have a disproportionate number of Blacks in prison.

So the way to fight that is to not punish them in school.
People wanted zero tolerance but this didn't turn out the way they envisioned it as way too many Black students are getting in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Does anyone actually care what this AG and DOJ thinks considering the track record they leave in their wake? It is laughable at best. Holder should be in a federal penitentiary and the rest of the DOJ under investigation.
He is more worried about discipline in schools than his own illegal doings. He would make it all about race as that is the MO of this administration. We are to have anything perceived as 'unjust' smeared all over us so we are divided even further than the last crisis. That's 'progressive' thinking for you.

2016 can't come fast enough.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,094,616 times
Quote:
We're talking about the Dept of Justice, not the Dept of Education involved in the schools.
Actually it was the DOE, Holder is just a bigger windmill for the right to tilt at. Don't get me wrong, with family members in education I have no problem with dealing with troublemakers.
Holder, Duncan announce national guidelines on school discipline - The Washington Post

In some diverse schools I know, the white kids are far worse. They are rich and feel entitled and are lazy and don't think they have to do the work.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:15 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,741 times
[quote=LauraC;32941358]"The wide-ranging series of guidelines issued Wednesday in essence tells schools that they must adhere to the principle of fairness and equity in student discipline or face strong action if they don't. The American Civil Liberties Union called the recommendations "ground-breaking." "A routine school disciplinary infraction should land a student in the principal's office, not in a police precinct," Attorney General Eric Holder said."

I really don't care WHAT Eric Holder is saying one way or the other but the DOJ doesn't have anything better to do than to issue guidelines to school principals regarding discipline? Talk about an overreaching federal government...

Has he ever visited one of these zoo's they call schools today?
Metal detectors,security guards,drug sniffing dogs was never the norm when I went to school.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,503,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Actually it was the DOE, Holder is just a bigger windmill for the right to tilt at. Don't get me wrong, with family members in education I have no problem with dealing with troublemakers.
Holder, Duncan announce national guidelines on school discipline - The Washington Post

In some diverse schools I know, the white kids are far worse. They are rich and feel entitled and are lazy and don't think they have to do the work.
Holder wasn't there as eye-candy. He and the DOJ are the threats to sue local school districts that don't submit to the 'recommendations.'

Old 01-09-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Holder wasn't there as eye-candy. He and the DOJ are the threats to sue local school districts that don't submit to the 'recommendations.'
Source?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:36 AM

So according to Holder and Duncan a child should only be removed from the classroom if they threaten the safety of other students/teacher.

So an unruly student that refuses to sit in their seat or be quiet should remain in the classroom ?
I'm in the schools. I give the student 3 chances and the third time IS a trip down to the VP's office.
You cannot teach when you are constantly being interrupted and/or constantly focused on one or two students about their behavior in the classroom.

What about the rest of the students ? They are the ones that don't get to learn because the teacher is spending their teaching time trying to keep one or two students in line.

There truly are some kids that need to do their K-12 years in alternative education settings.
They are uncontrollable.

And, as usual, they are dangling $$$$ to schools that jump on board so this will turn into more than just "mere recommendations".

From the link:
Duncan said that students should be removed from classrooms “as a last resort,” and only for serious infractions such as endangering the safety of other students or teachers.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So according to Holder and Duncan a child should only be removed from the classroom if they threaten the safety of other students/teacher.

So an unruly student that refuses to sit in their seat or be quiet should remain in the classroom ?
I'm in the schools. I give the student 3 chances and the third time IS a trip down to the VP's office.
You cannot teach when you are constantly being interrupted and/or constantly focused on one or two students about their behavior in the classroom.

What about the rest of the students ? They are the ones that don't get to learn because the teacher is spending their teaching time trying to keep one or two students in line.

There truly are some kids that need to do their K-12 years in alternative education settings.
They are uncontrollable.

And, as usual, they are dangling $$$$ to schools that jump on board so this will turn into more than just "mere recommendations".

From the link:
Duncan said that students should be removed from classrooms “as a last resort,” and only for serious infractions such as endangering the safety of other students or teachers.
I think when they say removed from classroom they mean suspended or expelled, not just sent to the principal. Don't know for sure though. There is a proper escalation and I think the concern is too often it is an immediate severe punishment like suspension that doesn't do any good.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
I think when they say removed from classroom they mean suspended or expelled, not just sent to the principal. Don't know for sure though. There is a proper escalation and I think the concern is too often it is an immediate severe punishment like suspension that doesn't do any good.
You don't get suspended just because you got sent to the VP's office.
Holder and Duncan are also saying too many minority students are removed from the classroom for various reasons and the only reason should be a threat to the student/teacher.

I'm here to tell you if that were true then very little TEACHING and LEARNING would be going on in that classroom.

Have you ever been in an inner city classroom ?
Have you ever witnessed what really goes on ?

It's night and day compared to middle class suburban public schools..night and day.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,833 times
Quote:
"The wide-ranging series of guidelines issued Wednesday in essence tells schools that they must adhere to the principle of fairness and equity in student discipline or face strong action if they don't. The American Civil Liberties Union called the recommendations "ground-breaking." "A routine school disciplinary infraction should land a student in the principal's office, not in a police precinct," Attorney General Eric Holder said."

Holder's New School Discipline Guidelines: Stop Targeting Minorities

I really don't care WHAT Eric Holder is saying one way or the other but the DOJ doesn't have anything better to do than to issue guidelines to school principals regarding discipline? Talk about an overreaching federal government...
If you don't like the federal government reaching into your school, remove you child from public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies