Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times

Advertisements

Boo fricken hoo.....he took too long to die (15 minutes was too long although his victim died in 1989 and he's been above ground about 25 years longer than she and her UNBORN child were) and it was painful. I absolutely, totally and wholeheartedly support the death penalty - and it should not take so long for it to occur, and frankly I think it should hurt as much as possible. Then, I see where his lawyers posted this little gem:

His attorneys argued McGuire was mentally, physically and sexually abused as a child and has impaired brain function that makes him prone to act impulsively.
"Dennis was at risk from the moment he was born," the lawyers said in a parole board filing. "The lack of proper nutrition, chaotic home environment, abuse, lack of positive supervision and lack of positive role models all affected Dennis' brain development."

So once again - it wasn't his fault. It was probably his mama's fault, he wasn't loved properly or enough, he didn't get enough to eat, blah, blah, blah. The guy should be the current poster boy for the death penalty. One of the prosecuting attorneys told the federal judge that you aren't entitled to a pain-free execution. I totally agree with his statement. You could clean out death row in one day and be done with it - look at the taxpayer monies saved. These guys aren't going to be rehabilitated or productive - and they themselves have placed themselves there. How is that my problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
So once again - it wasn't his fault. It was probably his mama's fault, he wasn't loved properly or enough, he didn't get enough to eat, blah, blah, blah.
You'd think 800 years or so of adversarial justice system should be enough to have people get used to the idea that all defendants are entitled to a vigorous defense, but I guess not.

Quote:
One of the prosecuting attorneys told the federal judge that you aren't entitled to a pain-free execution. I totally agree with his statement.
"cruel and unusual" is such a goddamn hindrance, isn't it? What were they thinking?

Quote:
You could clean out death row in one day and be done with it - look at the taxpayer monies saved. These guys aren't going to be rehabilitated or productive - and they themselves have placed themselves there. How is that my problem?
Her's a list of 143 people who were on Death Row and subsequently either acquitted, had all charges related to the crime dismissed, or were granted a complete pardon based on evidence of inncocnce.

Innocence: List of Those Freed From Death Row | Death Penalty Information Center

So - still up for "cleaning out death row in one day"? We should just shrug off the occasional innocent victim as the cost of doing business? Hey, your taxes may go down with as much as, I dunno, 5 cents or so?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Personally I am in favor of going back to public lynchings.
I think - I hope - you mean executions. The word "lynching" carries with it an element of extrajudicial mob justice.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
He's tried and convicted. What they don't tell the condemned is when it will happen. So the anticipation is a form of torture.
The United States of America is better than that.

In the U.S.A., we have these things called death warrants, which are signed by a judge and explicitly state when an execution will take place.

We would be even better if capital punishment was completely abolished.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:41 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good- torture him

Keep in mind that the Prince of Wallachia (Dracula) had essentially a zero crime rate in his realm due to the use of torture and impalement.

I would offer that the impalement of a few murderers would probably have a profound deterrent effect.
Yeah and Wallachia didn't have an 8th amendment, so unless you plan on rewriting the US Constitution impalement is unlikely.

I would also like to note that there are in fact methods of execution that are worse then impalement such as scaphism and murders still happened.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Personally I am in favor of going back to public lynchings. When properly executed the neck is snapped and it's over. Rope can be reused so that makes it cost effective. The gallows could be constructed for long term use and his POS cronies can watch to see what their own fate could be.
Washington state has a gallows ready for use.

They have used it twice in the last 21 years, and the man who was hanged in 1993 specifically requested that he be hanged, because he had hanged a four your old boy.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/06/us...s-gallows.html

Old 01-17-2014, 01:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The United States of America is better than that.

In the U.S.A., we have these things called death warrants, which are signed by a judge and explicitly state when an execution will take place.

We would be even better if capital punishment was completely abolished.
A quick question, Harrier.

Are you aware that this man's victim was 8 months pregnant?

Old 01-17-2014, 01:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
No position on the issue myself other than I think murder is wrong, no matter who is doing it.

Here is the legal briefs in regards to the issue being filed as we key.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
A quick question, Harrier.

Are you aware that this man's victim was 8 months pregnant?
How does that change anything? Should we kill him twice, once for each victim?

Old 01-17-2014, 01:13 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
As far as this man suffering......even though he was gasping for air, he was unconscious and not aware of any of it.....and I heard this from a doctor being interviewed on TV so don't ask me for a link.

It makes sense to me.

Also, as an earlier poster mentioned.......I don't understand why they can't execute them using the same drugs they use to put pets to sleep.

I have held many of my pets as they were being euthanized and they passed quickly and peacefully.

One of these days I am going to have to remember to ask my veterinarian this question.

Anyone here have a vets appointment scheduled in the next few days? How about asking your vet about this and letting us know what he says?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies