Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,799,101 times

Advertisements

'A University of Illinois at Chicago study just published in the journal Endocrinology has determined that even a low level of exposure to the plastic component bisphenol A, or BPA, during development contributes to an increased risk of developing prostate cancer later in life.

The detrimental effects of BPA are so widely known at this point, that countries like Canada have officially listed it as a toxic substance, and France has actually banned all BPA from food packaging in the country by 2015.

The FDA’s official statement on BPA is filled with ridiculous, whiny-sounding excuses about the fact that, because BPA was approved 40 years ago (when the agency should have done its job in the first place and made sure the stuff was safe to begin with), it would be really tough to regulate it now:

Then again, with an ex-Monsanto Vice President for Public Policy currently our FDA Deputy Commissioner for Foods, I guess we really can’t expect all that much from the agency anyway.

Yet Another Study: 'BPA Is Everywhere and It's Linked to Cancer' | The Daily Sheeple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,253,512 times
But now we get to buy BPA-free items which is what I've been doing for years now.

And yet again..the FDA claimed that BPA was safe for humans but had nothing to base it on.
Then they got wind of long term studies done on animals which affected their brains and behavior.
The FDA is always there..AFTER THE FACT.

BPA leeches. BPA is a chemical. No long term ingestion of a chemical is good, especially if you are pregnant.

The Facts About Bisphenol A, BPA
What does BPA do to us? We still don't really know, since we don't have definitive studies of its effects in people yet. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration used to say that BPA was safe. But in 2010 the agency altered its position. The FDA maintains that studies using standardized toxicity tests have shown BPA to be safe at the current low levels of human exposure. But based on other evidence -- largely from animal studies -- the FDA expressed "some concern" about the potential effects of BPA on the brain, behavior, and prostate glands in fetuses, infants, and young children.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,526,239 times
That is why people should read directions. Guidelines for BPA use is very clear. Only use specified microwave containers, abide by "use by" dates, etc.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,649,462 times
BPA is found in so many places. It's nearly impossible to avoid. It's used as a liner in canned foods and can leach into said canned foods. It's also used in the printer ink for receipts and can be absorbed through the skin. One does not just get it through microwaving plastic containers that contain it. It's very difficult to avoid.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:27 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,647,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
That is why people should read directions.
Are BPA notifications required on packaging?

Or do you just have to figure it out yourself

Old 01-09-2014, 02:33 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,058,417 times
BPA was removed from baby bottles awhile ago and now it is not difficult to find BPA-free plastics for many items. I recently replaced my older plastic food storage containers with Rubbermaid's BPA-free version. I never microwave food anyway, so that was not the issue for me. I only store dry foods in plastic and for all other food storage, I use stainless steel, enamelware or glass.

Another unhealthy plastic is vinyl...the type in shower curtains. A few years back I started purchasing the PEVA plastic curtains which are non-toxic.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Are BPA notifications required on packaging?

Or do you just have to figure it out yourself
Packaging containing BPA will have the "resin code" 7.

Quote:
Consumers may use the resin code appearing on plastic containers as a guide to
the possible presence of BPA. A resin code of 7 indicates that the container may
be made of a BPA-containing plastic.
http://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientsp.../ucm355155.htm

Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,647,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Packaging containing BPA will have the "resin code" 7.

http://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientsp.../ucm355155.htm
good info

i have seen that before but didn't know what it meant

Old 01-09-2014, 04:27 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,364,729 times
Far more people have been killed by di-hydrogen monoxide than ever have been injured by BPA, yet we do nothing to regulate its use. Criminal.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Far more people have been killed by di-hydrogen monoxide than ever have been injured by BPA, yet we do nothing to regulate its use. Criminal.
Water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies