Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 06:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I didn't say anything about 500K being rich, I simply used the 500K as an example to demonstrate how much higher the effective rates are in Norway. You are wrong about the schools in FL, and about the 0% taxation in Swizerland.
Check your facts. World-wide income is taxed at the Swiss federal, canton and municipal level. There is also a wealth tax. Corporations and shareholders are taxed on profits. Capital gains are taxed. Propert is taxed. VAT is 8%

Monaco has no income tax. VAT is 20%. Corporations are taxed 33% on profits. A substantial number of employees are commuters from France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
All Norwegians become crown millionaires, in oil saving landmark

THIS is what happens when your society values hard work, savings and investment over gimme, gimme, gimme and credit cards!
No, this what happens when your society shares equally in the profits from selling oil. People were GIVEN this money, they did not save it, invest to earn it or work for it.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Check your facts. World-wide income is taxed at the Swiss federal, canton and municipal level. There is also a wealth tax. Corporations and shareholders are taxed on profits. Capital gains are taxed. Propert is taxed. VAT is 8%

Monaco has no income tax. VAT is 20%. Corporations are taxed 33% on profits. A substantial number of employees are commuters from France.
I have checked. Income tax of 37% is not unusual in Swizerland, so I would recommend Florida as opposed to Swizerland if you are looking for low taxes.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:44 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No, this what happens when your society shares equally in the profits from selling oil. People were GIVEN this money, they did not save it, invest to earn it or work for it.
No, you are wrong.

The money has been invested wisely.

That is why the money has grown.

Americans don't want American money distributed equally.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:48 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
I have checked. Income tax of 37% is not unusual in Swizerland, so I would recommend Florida as opposed to Swizerland if you are looking for low taxes.
Not for foreigners in certain cantons. The favourable tax regime might end very soon, though.

Billionaires and rich celebrities living in Switzerland:

Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA. Multi-billionaire.
Shania Twain
Phil Collins
Michael Schumacher
Tina Turner

Old 01-14-2014, 09:56 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about 500K being rich, I simply used the 500K as an example to demonstrate how much higher the effective rates are in Norway. You are wrong about the schools in FL, and about the 0% taxation in Swizerland.
Yes, the tax rate is not 0% for foreigners in Switzerland but still very favourable for rich people.

I am pretty sure that public schools are way better in Norway.

The income tax is quite high in Norway but there is not a wealth tax anymore. The property tax is very low or non-existent.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
THIS is what happens when your society values hard work, savings and investment over gimme, gimme, gimme and credit cards!
Quote:
Norway's social engineering programs are PAID FOR and WIDELY SUPPORTED.
Your OP said that Norway rejected the "gimme" culture, now you're saying that the "gimme" culture is widely supported?

Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Not for foreigners in certain cantons. The favourable tax regime might end very soon, though.

Billionaires and rich celebrities living in Switzerland:

Ingvar Kamprad, the founder of IKEA. Multi-billionaire.
Shania Twain
Phil Collins
Michael Schumacher
Tina Turner
They have three levels of taxes: federal, canton, and local. They also have 'wealth tax'.

Yes, Schumacker etc live there because their taxes are lower then in Germany or Sweden, or wherever they come from.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
No, you are wrong.

The money has been invested wisely.

That is why the money has grown.

Americans don't want American money distributed equally.
"American" money comes from the taxpayers not from government controlled oil riches like "Norwegian" money.

And no, I don't want "American" money distributed equally. Why should people who are doing just fine share in distributions like welfare and food stamps that could better help those who truly need help? You think that taxpayers should subsidize EVERYONE?!?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:01 PM

113 posts, read 152,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
"American" money comes from the taxpayers not from government controlled oil riches like "Norwegian" money.

And no, I don't want "American" money distributed equally. Why should people who are doing just fine share in distributions like welfare and food stamps that could better help those who truly need help? You think that taxpayers should subsidize EVERYONE?!?

Or are you perhaps complaining that some earn more than others? Get over it.... life is not fair.

Why doesn't America use it's fossil fuel riches from public lands to benefit it's people, instead of turning it over at sub market (subsidized) rates to the private sector to increase the wealth of corps and their stockholders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies