Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times

Advertisements

Who cares?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 PM

92 posts, read 75,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Irreducible complexity has to be applied to God also.

I agree 1000%. All true

They never wanna answer that question. That's because it ends the debate almost immediately.

LMAO...Richard Dawkins. You might've heard of him.
isn't he that weird dude who thinks computer viruses are lifeforms and he's always talking about aliens and whatnot?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Is there a difference between an "evolutionist" and a person that accepts the theory of evolution?
a lot of the Darwinists are people with just high school diplomas or majored in liberal arts stuff in college rather than science / engineering / technical fields.

They are told it is Science and never question it.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I've seen biologists (no such thing as an evolutionist) show that there's no need to explain them, because no such irreducibly complex systems exist. The claims creationists make about things being irreducibly complex are simply wrong.

Not really. Chemical reactions are real things, where as deities are mythological. Perhaps it's hard for you to believe, but I'm totally cool with it.
lol, ok, well i think it is logical that there are numerous systems in lifeforms that would not work if just one component was not there. It goes from function to non-functional if you remove just one part which is obviously a problem for Darwin as it is a theory of gradual incremental change meaning there should be some functionality even if a part is removed.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:43 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTimrod View Post
lol, ok, well i think it is logical that there are numerous systems in lifeforms that would not work if just one component was not there.
You're wrong too. Give it up. These arguments have all been made and they've all failed.

Quote:
It goes from function to non-functional if you remove just one part which is obviously a problem for Darwin as it is a theory of gradual incremental change meaning there should be some functionality even if a part is removed.
Thank you for explaining what irreducible complexity means. I already knew that, though. I also know that creationist arguments concerning it have no merit.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
The mistake is that Banana Man wants creationism taught public school science classes and that lots of completely miseducated people agree with him. Keep the talking snake in its proper place, mythology.

Science seeks to explain how things work, religion seeks to explain why they exist. You really can't mix the two because they answer different questions. However, it would be appropriate to teach creation in class on religion.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-10-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The person he is "taking on" seems pretty polite and reasoned. Horrificly wrong, but hey-polite and reasoned.

Im going to need some popcorn for the video.
What makes you think he is "horrifically wrong," as you put it? Are you a scientist? You are aware that "evolution" is just a theory, aren't you? It cannot be proven, but must be taken on faith.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:56 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Oh this will be stupid. Evolution is a scientific theory and creation is a religious theory. They're in different ball parks. One looks at WHAT might have happened and the other at WHY it happened. They answer different questions. This is like having algebra debate with English. There's nothing to debate here. Move along...

I do not understand the logic of entering into such a debate when science is not religion and religion is not science and we have more questions than answers WRT to both of them. So why pretend we know enough about either to know how they should interconnect and be able to debate them side by side? Sheer stupidity.
So, you reject any science that looks at things from the point of view of intelligent design? Why? Seems pretty closed minded. You do realize that there is no such thing as "settled science," don't you?

I'm not sure what you mean by, "one looks at WHAT might have happened, and the other at WHY it happened." Neither knows what happened, so they cannot answer "why."

I'll leave you with this quote:

"What is worthy of serious attention is that the universe greatly exceeds human comprehension. The elegance
and mathematical beauty of the laws that govern it virtually shout "intelligence!" at everyone who thinks
about it. The most reasonable and responsible conclusion to draw is that the universe was created by that
supreme intelligence. It's a fairly short step from there to the inference that God cares about the universe and
the rational beings who inhabit it" — Thomas P. Sheahen

Articles: Faith within Science
Thomas P. Sheahen holds B.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics from the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology. He is Director of the Institute for Theological Encounter with Science & Technology, based in
St. Louis.

Last edited by FlamencoFreak; 01-10-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
You're wrong too. Give it up. These arguments have all been made and they've all failed.

Thank you for explaining what irreducible complexity means. I already knew that, though. I also know that creationist arguments concerning it have no merit.
Ok well you aren't refuting me in an intellectual way. Just supposed to concede you are source authority on all things.

I'm a mechanical engineer, you probablly rocking a GED but still talking down to people as though you are the Guardian of Science.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
What makes you think he is "horrifically wrong," as you put it? Are you a scientist? You are aware that "evolution" is just a theory, aren't you? It cannot be proven, but must be taken on faith.
"Horrifically wrong"......I don't know how to judge that. There are theories that have not been proven or disproven or perhaps can't be either.

I could be wrong but I believe this guy argues for a 5000 year old Earth. Now granted I've never been that interested in the argument so maybe I've missed something but that theory has been disproven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies