Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,950,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No one who read that post could reasonably call than anything other than a patently dishonest quibble.
Frankly, Harrier doesn't give a damn.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,011,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Well that's what Creationists and Young Earth Creationists and most Intelligent Design proponents believe.

What you are saying is NOT what most Intelligent Design proponents say - Intelligent Designers do not accept evolution. They think that all life was designed at the same time full formed.

Sounds like you are just replacing the word Nature with Intelligent Designer. Not sure what was so "intelligent" about using evolution though. Very inefficient.
What is inefficient about evolution?

Survival of the fittest seems very logical to me. As one species or subspecies evolves a new defense or offense, it takes time for another to adapt or go extinct.

This is fascinating stuff.

However, I will give no quarter where it comes to a creator.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:20 PM

14,934 posts, read 8,549,528 times
Quote:
Was the 'designer' actually a committee? A committee of inebriated designers who decided to create all life on earth one day after they had had one too many cups of ambrosia?
Making such statements is a display of supreme and unimaginable ignorance. The earth biosphere and the entirety of living organisms, bacteria, insects, animals, plants, work in such an amazing symphony of symbiotic splender, to look upon this as some chaotic conglomeration of I'll concieved design is the epitome of stupidity, beyond clueless and surpasses hopelessness.

And it seems that no matter what delusional men throw at her, she manages to maintain her balance, even as fragile as subsidiary local ecosystems are. From worms tjat aerate the soil, to bees that polinate the plants, to the oceans that regulate the entire biosphere, food chain, climate, and the abundance of life on land and sea ... anyone that looks at this astounding creation with the contempt that you have boldly demonstrated, doesn't deserve the bounty this planet and this creation provides your ignorant and ungrateful azz. You should be ashamed, but you are shameless.

And this describes your ilk, and those who gravitate toward such nonsense as this. You hate humanity almost as much as you hate your creator ... as you spit on the mother that feeds you, with insulting arrogance. What a piece of work you are.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,350,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I guess giving humans weak back muscles was all part of his master plan. What a perfect design! Most of us have back problems.
Or:

Quote:
Because there are too many unintelligent and clearly poorly 'designed' features and vestigial body parts in the human body that could really only be explained by the step by step very gradual process of evolution by natural selection - not by an intelligent designer. Unless that designer was really incompetent?

Like not being able to breathe and swallow food at the same time?

LIke Humans and other primates not being able to synthesize their own vitamin C unlike other animals because the gene that controls that became defective early on and was passed on in earlier primates?

Like too many teeth in humans for the size of the jaw?

Like poor sinus drainage?

Like the retina of the human eye being 'inside out' resulting in a blind spot?

Like the organs for reproduction and waste being so close to together resulting in infections being common?

Like weak points in the abdominal wall where hernias can form?

All of these and a lot more are 'leftovers' or 'vestigial' signs of humans evolving from earlier forms of life.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

Oh, not the Watchmaker's Analogy yet again!!
Corvettes aren't organic.

(Speaking of blockheads)
and don't reproduce....

I like the jetliner in a junkyard one better:

Maybe the Wright brothers aeroplane had sex with another aeroplane and passed it's aeroplane genes on to it's baby planes and one of the baby planes was born with slightly better rudder and passed it's genes in on and that plane married another plane who was born with slightly bigger wings... and then millions of years later after lots of plane sex and plane genes and plane babies.... jetliners evolved.

(to IDers and Creationists, this is a parody, lest you think I am actually serious)

Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
A time waster on the part of both parties. Ham I can forgive because he's going on faith and faith doesn't have to be logical. Nye should know better as a scientist. Ham can fall back on the simple fact that God can do anything. Therefore it is within the realm of possibility that God just made things as if they took millions of years to evolve when they didn't. When you are not required to prove your case, and religion is not required to prove anything, it's easy to dismiss anything you want in science by just saying that God made it that way.

Take Adam's belly button. Do you suppose he had one even though he never had an umbilical cord? Or a giant redwood tree on the day of creation. Do you suppose it had growth rings for years it didn't exist? Is God capable of making a man with a belly button he never used or a tree with growth rings for years it never existed? If God can create a man and a tree in mature form, why not a planet, entire species and a universe? I'm not saying this is what happened only that it is possible and if there is any possibility religion wins here because science cannot prove that this did not happen. Religion only needs something that is possible given the omnipotent nature of God. What's science got going up against that?

This debate should not happen. Nye should know better.

Science only studies the laws of the universe. It does not study what God did or did not do. Only the laws that were laid down on the day of creation however this universe was created. Science needs to stick to that and quit trying to be religion too. It's not religion.
I agree with all of what you wrote other than your second last sentence - How is "science trying to be a religion"?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Evolutionists simply are closed minded.

They do not want any scrutiny of their theory whatsoever.

That is why they use evolution as a club to pound people into submission by utilizing ad hominem attacks against anyone who challenges them to think critically and rationally, and it is also why when asked to support their theory, they throw out the red herring of creation, as if that has anything to do with evolution.

If evolution is true, then it ought to stand on its own two feet.
We know why you need to dismiss evolution out of hand without even understanding it. Your posts reek of desperation. I'm sorry your faith is so weak it can't stand up to modern reality.

Quote:
Acknowledging the creation is a nonessential issue for salvation. One must only acknowledge their sin and accept God's forgiveness through his Son Jesus Christ. However, propagating the myth of evolution leads people away from God, because it denies the Creator and promotes the false idea that everything is the result of natural processes. One could believe that and also accept Christ - and many do exactly that. Others entirely dismiss Jesus Christ because the doctrine of evolution precludes any deity from existing. Thus allowing the myth of evolution to be circulated unchallenged is counterproductive to our charge to spread the gospel. Evolution is a tool used by the enemy to draw people away from the knowledge of God. This is why we must uphold the truth of creation and impeach the claims made by evolutionists - which is fortunately simplicity itself since their theory is unprovable.

Unfortunately - it is taught in public schools - and the indoctrination begins very early. I remember in 1st grade the teacher saying that dinosaurs were millions of years old. High school biology class solidifies the ideas, and by this time the brainwashing is usually complete. Most students won't do independent research to determine if what they were taught is actually true, so they grow up being good soldiers who teach their children that science "proves" evolution, and that the people who thought for themselves, examined the theory and found it lacking in solid proof, are loonies.

The quest for truth must not ever be allowed to be derailed.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,047,092 times
Quote:
Frankly, Harrier doesn't give a damn.
And in that way, the symmetry is perfect. Because nobody gives a damn about Harrier either.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,950,174 times
Quote:
And in that way, the symmetry is perfect. Because nobody gives a damn about Harrier either.
Aren't you supposed to be some kind of expert on VTOL aircraft?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Of course I did. Here... I will even quote myself:

"Because there is a vast amount of observable evidence for evolution."

To not "believe" an objectively demonstrable fact would be absurd.

I have made no argument. I have directly answered a question.

But of course, I have done that several times over the years and you proved impervious to the demonstration. What would cause you to hallucinate that you are worthy of another go?

Perhaps if someone else were to sincerely ask I would find the effort worthwhile. But alas, not in response to another disingenuous inquiry from Harrier.
Can't rep you again yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies