Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:02 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

Another good example is George W. Bush's approval rating. He had close to 25% toward the end of his term as even Republicans abandoned the ship, but Obama enjoys a floor of 40% and nothing will ever change that.
I used to think conservatives like you were just playing stupid when you made false equivalencies like the above one, but now i begin to wonder.

Did GDP shrink by 5% under President Obama, did 11 million people lose their jobs? when all that happens, then you can compare approval ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yeah, well Obama managed to p*ss off a lot of people too. He used the gov't against the people with the IRS, shutting down open access parks and even shoulders of the highway because of the shutdown *even though those things cost more money to shut down than it cost when the gov't is actually up and running. He's no different than Christie in that respect.

I am not defending Christie. I don't even like the guy. But you've got to see why this incredible outrage over a bridge seems a little hypocritical after the yawns by you guys over some amazing abuses of power by the president.
The IRS argument has been proven a lie. the IRS never even targeted individuals or groups, it specifically went after 501(c)3 groups who are tax exempt and it was from BOTH sides of the aisle.

You are also wrong about the state parks as well, it indeed cost more for them to be open than closed because overhead includes operations and payroll.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:24 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
What part of the phrase "shut down" confuses you? It most certainly does not mean "keep one the stuff you like open so you can take pictures of it". There was nothing slightly surprising about what, exactly, got shut down, and it was ridiculous when that fool Ted Cruz started whining about it, given that he was the main person behind it.
No, shutdown means to close things that actually require money to keep open, not things that don't. More money was spent shutting those things down than normal. A parks guy even admitted they were supposed to make it as painful as possible. It was pure vindictiveness designed to make people blame the republicans. The sad thing was that the ACA wasn't ready for prime time and now the whole liberal agenda is imperiled. If Obama would have delayed it like the Repubs were asking, it may have been better for him. But he dug in and the rest is history.

Last edited by katygirl68; 01-10-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 06:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
In politics, why is it that liberals/Democrats hold conservatives/Republicans to such high standards, standards that are clearly higher than the ones they hold for themselves?

This just seems to be a recurring theme among liberals, and this Chris Christie non-issue is the latest example. Republicans are supposed to be perfect, yet Democrats are more than willing to let other Democrat's slide.

You might disagree with GOP policy, but Republicans hold other Republicans to much higher standards as evidenced by the Tea Party. Yeh, you might not like the Tea Party, but at least there's some accountability required for establishment republicans.

Another good example is George W. Bush's approval rating. He had close to 25% toward the end of his term as even Republicans abandoned the ship, but Obama enjoys a floor of 40% and nothing will ever change that.

IF this were true, Ronald Reagan , who GREW government and spent like a drunken sailor during his tenure, wouldn't be the Republican hero he is.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
No, shutdown means to close things that actually require money to keep open, not things that don't. More money was spent shutting those things down than normal. A parks guy even admitted they were supposed to make it as painful as possible. It was pure vindictiveness designed to make people blame the republicans.
I see, so the pain of the seniors who weren't getting Meals on Wheels during the shutdown was fine, because no one saw them. But people who weren't allowed to walk around a monument, now THAT was just unconscionable! The parks and monuments were shut down when the Republicans shut down the government in 1996, too, so all that shock and surprise on the part of the Tea Party was just more phony posturing for the media. When you shut the government down, stuff gets shut down. That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Quote:
The sad thing was that the ACA wasn't ready for prime time and now the whole liberal agenda is imperiled. If Obama would have delayed it like the Repubs were asking, it may have been better for him. But he dug in and the rest is history.
The ACA is doing just fine. The website had a rocky start, but it's been functioning very well for a few months now and many people--me included--have insurance for the first time in a long time. Time for you guys to find a new talking point. The GOP "OMG-the-sky-is-falling-we're-all-gonna-die!" ruse is up.

Last edited by HeyJude514; 01-10-2014 at 07:18 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 07:14 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
I was mad too, but got even more mad at the Executive Branch for their petty vindictiveness. It was highly inappropriate to shut those things down to make a point. It actually took more effort to keep people out of WWII memorials than it cost to keep them open.
What did you think was going to happen when the Republicans shutdown the government?

Old 01-10-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
No, shutdown means to close things that actually require money to keep open, not things that don't. More money was spent shutting those things down than normal. A parks guy even admitted they were supposed to make it as painful as possible. It was pure vindictiveness designed to make people blame the republicans. The sad thing was that the ACA wasn't ready for prime time and now the whole liberal agenda is imperiled. If Obama would have delayed it like the Repubs were asking, it may have been better for him. But he dug in and the rest is history.
Parks cause money to stay open and typically those are the first things to close because they are not considered non essential.

The Republicans had no plan with the shutdown and that was evident when they finally caved after getting nothing for it.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I was very pissed off with Republicans in Congress that willingly allowed our government to shutdown for no reason. Seriously, what did they accomplish from that shutdown?

I have to ask, Who was willing to compromise?
I will not negotiate, Obama sure didn't.

Harry Reid & Obama shutdown the 17% of government.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I have to ask, Who was willing to compromise?
I will not negotiate, Obama sure didn't.

Harry Reid & Obama shutdown the 17% of government.
And what did the Republicans get for ending the shutdown they caused? I remember your boy Ted Cruz was excited about getting his way and shutting down the government, but I don't remember any Republicans bragging they got what they wanted when they finally ended it.

Why should Obama negotiate with people who are willing to shut the government down over political theater.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:30 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I see, so the pain of the seniors who weren't getting Meals on Wheels during the shutdown was fine, because no one saw them. But people who weren't allowed to walk around a monument, now THAT was just unconscionable! The parks and monuments were shut down when the Republicans shut down the government in 1996, too, so all that shock and surprise on the part of the Tea Party was just more phony posturing for the media. When you shut the government down, stuff gets shut down. That's kind of the point, isn't it?

The ACA is doing just fine. The website had a rocky start, but it's been functioning very well for a few months now and many people--me included--have insurance for the first time in a long time. Time for you guys to find a new talking point. The GOP "OMG-the-sky-is-falling-we're-all-gonna-die!" ruse is up.
As I said, I was against the shutdown, and completely understood why national parks and the like were closed. What I had a problem with was spending extra money shutting down a memorial that didn't require anyone to keep it open in the first place, and even putting barricades along the shoulders of the highway so people couldn't take pictures of Mt. Rushmore. That's just petty.

And as for the ACA, you must qualify for subsidies because otherwise you wouldn't be saying it was "doing just fine." Those of us who are by no means wealthy but still don't qualify for subsidies don't think it's just fine. We're paying more for less, and we're basically living paycheck to paycheck already and haven't had raises in several years. That means with the added costs of higher fuel and food costs and now higher premiums with much higher deductibles, we're hurting in a big way. So, I'm glad it's working out for you, but remember that not everyone is in the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies