Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
People are so dramatic in this country. I am well off and fast 4 days a month. Additionally, I eat vegetarian bean based dinners most of the time. I spend for myself, about 100 bucks a month on food. My food costs are less than most people on govt assistance. The whiny, first world problems in this country really get old.
Haha, amen. The $26 I spent for groceries today will easily last through the week. Instead of eating toxic, highly processed foods, maybe America's poverty class should learn to use a stove? Geez, with the way some of these SNAP shoppers shop, it's difficult to even refer to them as a poverty class.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:04 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Obamacare and other programs are pushing our deficit sky high. Something has to be cut somewhere.

It ain't all free.
I don't know if you're ignorant or deliberately lying but, no, the deficit is not going sky high and it has gone down every year since Obama's 1st budget (remember 2009 was Bush's final budget). It has actually halved in the last two years. Lastly, every analysis of the actual numbers has shown that Obamacare actually saves money and costs the government less than what happened before.

So you really are wrong about everything.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:07 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,892,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Funny you mention that about the "cooking class" -- my wife and I often wonder why health and finance aren't a bigger part of the middle-school/high-school curriculum. The interesting thing is that my kids got a pretty healthy dose of "health/healthy-living" as part of their PE class this year, so perhaps things are going in the right direction.

In my house (6 people), the dozen donuts last about 15 minutes....lol. My youngest taught me that if I don't eat my two, he will.

That slogan is definitely not PC, but it is incredibly succinct.
I would love to see Home Ec make a come back. In the 1960's women got pissed off because girls automatically got stuffed into Home Ec while boys got put into Shop classes. Instead of making BOTH the boys and the girls take Home Ec they just stopped offering Home Ec which was just about the worst thing they could have done. It really is sad how few people know how to cook these days, it's not hard, but people just don't seem to learn.

Personally, I cook about 80% of the time at home and go out of my way to find new recipes and cook books. It's kind of a hobby.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:00 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,472,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well this isn't surprising. If one doesn't eat properly it can lead to health problems.
Uh have you look at the healthy eating habits of the majority of Americans lately. Healthy eating is not very high on the list.

Pay attention in the grocery store and see what people are buying with their EBT cards? Processed and high fat foods, snack foods, ice cream, etc. They are so large they are often driving one of the motorized shopping carts that are becoming common place is stores now.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Status: "On the road with Kid Charlamagne" (set 17 days ago)

8,018 posts, read 5,827,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They got rid of Home Ec where you learned that stuff.
They incorporated nutrition into health classes and PE classes where you learn about calories and daily intake.

Cooking, sewing, budgeting has been removed from the curriculum.
And it wasn't an elective either..everyone had to take that class.
I remember HomeEc. That was the bane of my 6th grade year -- haha -- but fortunately, a lot of the budgeting/cooking lessons I learned stuck with me. Sewing? Not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You and your wife should go take a look at the curriculum at most high schools. They generally include some type of personal finance.
My wife and I just finished with 8 years of high school curriculum for our oldest two. They attended one of the top 10 high schools in the state of NC, but no finance lessons. There were enough AP classes, though, to allow my daughter to graduate with a 4.9 GPA, slightly higher than her father's way back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I would love to see Home Ec make a come back. In the 1960's women got pissed off because girls automatically got stuffed into Home Ec while boys got put into Shop classes. Instead of making BOTH the boys and the girls take Home Ec they just stopped offering Home Ec which was just about the worst thing they could have done. It really is sad how few people know how to cook these days, it's not hard, but people just don't seem to learn.

Personally, I cook about 80% of the time at home and go out of my way to find new recipes and cook books. It's kind of a hobby.
Funny you mention that -- when I was in 6th grade (early 80's), BOTH the boys and girls had to take Home Ec. Wow, did us boys pitch a fit about HomeEc...haha! But in the end, it was actually a fun class that taught me a lot of meaningful lessons. Interestingly enough, Shop class was voluntary for girls, but some of them took it.

Both classes gave you a sense of accomplishment that was different than math, english, etc. They definitely need to bring it back.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:55 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post

Home Ec is still offered in my district in middle and high school, as an elective. In MS, it's a 6 week course as part of an elective "wheel" where kids get a smattering of all the electives available. Almost all kids take the wheel. In high school, kids have to take one practical arts course, and home ec is one of the offerings. At least, that's how it was when my kids went, which was only a few years ago.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Home Ec is still offered in my district in middle and high school, as an elective. In MS, it's a 6 week course as part of an elective "wheel" where kids get a smattering of all the electives available. Almost all kids take the wheel. In high school, kids have to take one practical arts course, and home ec is one of the offerings. At least, that's how it was when my kids went, which was only a few years ago.
Well curriculums and electives are all locally defined.
None of the schools by me have Home Ec or finance/budgeting electives.
They are all college prep classes.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well curriculums and electives are all locally defined.
None of the schools by me have Home Ec or finance/budgeting electives.
They are all college prep classes.
Somehow, I find that hard to believe, especially considering this:
Jump$tart.org | State Requirements - Texas This was almost 10 years ago.
In any event, I agree with this article that personal finance is really hard to teach.
Can Schools Really Teach Personal Finance? | Fox Business

Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,213,926 times
Quote:
And that would be real cost effective, not.
The whole point is to discourage people from staying on the program too long by maintaining tight control. I don't know about you, but I would not want to have someone controlling what I buy, especially the government.

Imagine if instead of being able to buy whatever junk they wanted, they had to have a meal plan set out weekly by someone else...or they don't eat. They may even learn something.

Give them free money though and wee hee hoo! easy street

Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 AM

You don't care that the cost would increase dramatically if you paid people to deliver the food?

I honestly could accept some restrictions in what people could buy. After all, the program is supposed to be "supplemental". Recipients could still buy chips, soda, etc with their own money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.