Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:48 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Nice try OP, but you're trying to use logic and reason with closed minded people that are incapable of, well, logic and reason. Hence the inane attempts to deflect off the topic with irrelivant comparisons.
I reckon pretty soon we will hear you gun goobs chortling........."Don't take a swimming pool to a gun fight."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 04:53 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I reckon pretty soon we will hear you gun goobs chortling........."Don't take a swimming pool to a gun fight."

My nomination for least informative post of the year.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
How about taxing child swimmers to discourage dangerous behavior?

Treat them like smokers.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Lord, I know there's a word to describe the stupidity of this remark. But, for the life of me, I can't think of it.
So you agree that comparing the relative deadliness of guns and swimming pools is a pointless exercise. We're on the same page then.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:35 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
And it's the stupidity of the parents that cause death in both cases.
But liberal politicians and their supporters are only trying to ban one, the one less likely to kill children.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here.

Ever heard a politician say that about swimming pools? Of course not, because they aren't trying to save lives they're trying to push their agenda.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
But liberal politicians and their supporters are only trying to ban one, the one less likely to kill children.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here.

Ever heard a politician say that about swimming pools? Of course not, because they aren't trying to save lives they're trying to push their agenda.
Swimming pools aren't manufactured for the express purpose of killing/maiming people. When people die in a swimming pool, it is an unintended consequence of using the product, because they aren't meant to hurt people. Can the same be said of someone who ends up dead by a handgun?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:50 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times
THis point is quite valid in that it points out the phoniness and disingenuousness of liberal gun grabbers that cry "If it only saves one childs life". Here you have the ability to save literally THOUSANDS of kids lives each year, and you liberals don't want to act on it? What's a matter..sprinklers and slippy slides aren't good enough? Why not write legislation to support universal background checks on swimming pools?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Swimming pools aren't manufactured for the express purpose of killing/maiming people. When people die in a swimming pool, it is an unintended consequence of using the product, because they aren't meant to hurt people. Can the same be said of someone who ends up dead by a handgun?

How do you explain than the thousands of crimes prevented and lives saved by simply pointing a gun at someone who was about to do harm?

So you really dont care about kids.. you care about INTENT? Because that is a FACT.. FACT.. Thousands of more kids die yearly by pools than by guns.. But you're saying that doesnt matter because it's about intent? You liberals sure are a strange bunch

Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
According to CDC, fatal drowning rate, per 100,000 people, for children less than 14 is 3.09% while gun related fatality is 0.61%

Your children are 5 times more likely to be drown in a swimming pool than being killed by a gun.

Are you guys missing the whole forest by looking at one leaf?

Drowning
Nonfatal and Fatal Drownings in Recreational Water Settings --- United States, 2001--2002

Firearm related
Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children -- 26 Industrialized Countries

Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
We must not wait. Ban all water NOW!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies