Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
That's why it's dangerous for our politicians to sow hate, resentment and racial and ethnic strife. When politicians engage in destruction of racial and class politics, they are not engendering people to government, they are turning citizen against citizen, and three long years of record poverty only exacerbate the issues.
United we stand but DIVIDED WE FALL.

Not enough people really think about that phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The muslims want power over us. We are looked at as a satanic power to them and they are partially right. Our moral standards have crumbled over time. We have become weak inside with no moral fiber.

The communists want control over us. We are all sitting around with the cares of our daily lives as we lose our way. This country was once great. Now we are fat and indulgent and love pleasures more than God. The blessing of this nation will be removed as we continue on the path of moral breakdown and corruption.

This system of things will be destroyed in time. This nation is changing and it isn't for the good.
Which makes it all the more aggravating to see politicians and pop culture ridicule people who express a firm set of moral and ethical principles, or family and cultural traditions.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Oh, you mean the trillions he wasted on "Star Wars"?

Reagan was a feeble minded idiot. He had nothing to do with defeating communism.
LOL! Reagan first proposed SDI in March, 1983. Spending was in the neighborhood of $3 billion per year, so total under Reagan around $15 billion, or $1.985 trillion short of your multiple "trillions." Tell me again who the 'feeble minded idiot' is???

Scholars have shown time and time again that SDI was key in the collapse of the Soviet empire. That's why Gorby labored mightly at both Geneva and Reykjavik to get Reagan to drop the idea. Years later Gorby's foreign minister, Alexander Bessmernykh said "SDI frightened us very much," and "had a long-lasting impact on us."

Even though under Reagan, SDI was more of a conceptual gambit than a real military threat, the research started by Reagan continues to pay dividends today:

//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...ful-laser.html

Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Fine. Al Qaeda can have the place.

I never wanted anything to do with Iraq in the first place.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:00 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,557 times
Quote:
Well, we are supposed to be better than this. I grew up in a USA that would have not tortured our enemies or killed citizens of other countries that we are not at war with.

What has happened to this country I ask you? When was the coup?
It's you're right as an American citizen to speak freely and open to question you're countries tactics in killing the enemy, so a question to you, if I may, have you ever lost friends and or family members to screamers (loaded vest) or by other means that would fall under the category of a Terrorist act? murdered for simply being American?

just curious...

Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Sorry if I overreacted. My next door neighbors are Vietnamese immigrants and we love them. They are such wonderful people. They have 6 kids, all have college degrees.

If more immigrants were like them this would be a different country.
I agree, I've worked with a few and they were all around good folks IMO. My point was the fear-mongering the government did in a lame-ass attempt to justify a completely unnecessary war was just that, fear-mongering, no, baseless fear-mongering.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So you think you will see some Iraqis delivering falafel?
Possibly, I sure as hell have no fear of them invading/occupying the US which is what the fear-mongering 'fight them over there, yada, yada, yada' BS tries to put in peoples' heads.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:35 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
It's you're right as an American citizen to speak freely and open to question you're countries tactics in killing the enemy, so a question to you, if I may, have you ever lost friends and or family members to screamers (loaded vest) or by other means that would fall under the category of a Terrorist act? murdered for simply being American?

just curious...
Well, the Japanese tried to kill my Dad for 3 years when he was a Marine. My brother was a Marine in Vietnam, my sister's husband flew a helicopter in Vietnam. Our family has done our part.

I guess I don't understand your point. Americans used to do things the right way. IMO, killing humans with mindless drones is wrong and immoral. And torturing our enemy for information is wrong and immoral.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fine. Al Qaeda can have the place.

I never wanted anything to do with Iraq in the first place.
Typical response. Obama screws up Iraq, and suddenly you never thought he could have done otherwise. Slowly but surely you guys just scratch off all the reasons why we were supposed to elect him, as being irrelevant or something you never thought he could accomplish anyway.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Typical response. Obama screws up Iraq, and suddenly you never thought he could have done otherwise. Slowly but surely you guys just scratch off all the reasons why we were supposed to elect him, as being irrelevant or something you never thought he could accomplish anyway.
Some of us never bought the lies or ever believed that the mission would be a success anyway. I damn sure knew it. Why didn't you?

You're just mad because you had not only hoped we would change/fix Iraq, but that it would fundamentally change the middle east.

You're also smarting because no WMD were ever found, and no connection to Al Qaeda could ever be established. You're angry that you got duped and fell for the whole shebang.

Obama screwed up Iraq? No buddy...it was ALWAYS screwed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psvitagamer89 View Post
bleh, american soldiers could've demolished Iraq in a day if it wasn't for our stupid politicians...
Demolish Iraq for what? What did Iraq do to us to deserve destroying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies