Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Yeah, it certainly couldn't be things like the baby boomers retiring...

I know reality has a liberal bias, but this is really stretching more than stretch Armstrong.

...and he strtechs forever....
You're right. For a change.

It COULDN'T be the baby boomers retiring.

Labor Force Participation by people 55 years and older, has been going UP. Especially in the most recent years.

Nice try. But you might look up your "facts" before making a fool of yourself.

It has been the young and middle-aged who have been dropping out of the labor force... and not because they wanted to retire. They have been giving up. Losing their jobs and finding they couldn't get another. Or, getting out of school only to find there is nothing there for them. So they finally get discouraged and stop looking.

Obama's legacy will live on for a very long time... at least for these people.

Attached Thumbnails
Liberals: The era of Reaganomics is finally over-laborforceparticratebyages.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Sure they do. That's why the top 10% took home 50% of the nation's total income in 2012, the highest on record. All while wages remained stagnant for everyone else. THAT'S what you call redistribution of wealth. This is a decades-long trend that started with Ronnie, patron saint of overrated presidents.

How many more decades of tricke-down failures do we need before we return tax rates for the uber-wealthy to 1960's levels?
After stating that the top 10% created 50% of the nation's total income in 2012, look up how much of the tax burden the top 10% paid that year.

They do put money to work. Investing in stocks, or simply leaving it in a bank is still putting it to work. The only way money is not going to work is if you withdraw it from a bank and stuff it in a pillow case.

This goes for you as well. If you leave you money in a 401K, it's working. Iif you leave it in your savings account, it's working. If you draw it out and splurge on a night on the town, it's working. The only time it's not working is if you stick it in a piggy bank, and let it gather dust on a shelf.

BTW, the uber wealthy in the 1960s had too many loopholes, so they never paid those tax rates. So when you see tax rates at 80%, they were lies, no one paid 80%.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1 of 2 things is going on here.

Either you are simply arguing that Baby boomers overall are working longer, which has nothing to do with the OP or the argument i am putting forth

or you do not understand that Baby boomers are the 2nd largest segment of our current population where as the generation directly preceding them is our smallest.

if only 1% of Baby boomers retire that is equal to 10% of the previous generations population.

So when Baby boomers retire(even if a larger portion continues to work), they effect the LPR more.

Thats why i used California and Rhode Island.
Deleted.

Never mind. There is no point.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Deleted.

Never mind. There is no point.
So im guessing you dont understand population distribution.

there are 74 Million Baby boomers,or about 20% of our Population. The silent generation only makes up about 4% of our Population or 12 million.

so lets break it down for you since you dont understand.

lets say 50% of the silent generation contines to work, thats 6 million people, but 50% retire, thats 6 million people as well.

lets say 75% of baby boomers continue to work,thats a much higher percentage than 50%, thats 55 million people, but that means 25% retired, a much lower rate which is 19 million people

{The reason why im not using your chart numbers is because Baby Boomers consist of a 20 year generation and all of them are not 65 yet}

Now do you see why your logic is so flawed, the percentages of people could be identical, but the actual raw numbers would not even be close, even when lopsided, they are not close.

That is why a small percentage of baby boomers retiring effect the unemployment rate so much especially compared to other generations.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,228 times
Quote:
No I am not, i am simply trying to explain to the other guy that even though baby boomers overall are working longer, the percentage that is retiring is larger in pure numbers than the previous generation is, there for they effect the LPR more.
TRANSLATION: I'm making up my own "facts" and wishing they were true, contrary to actual facts listed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

----------------------------------------

People aged 55 and older have been INCREASING their participation in the labor force, far more than they are retiring from it.

It's the young and middle-aged who have been losing their jobs and finding they couldn't get another. Or getting out of school and finding there is nothing there for them. They get listed as "unemployed" for a while... but eventually they just give up and quit looking.

Obama's legacy will live for a long time... at least with these people.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
TRANSLATION: I'm making up my own "facts" and wishing they were true, contrary to actual facts listed by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

People aged 55 and older have been INCREASING their participation in the labor force, far more than they are retiring from it.

It's the young and middle-aged who have been losing their jobs and finding they couldn't get another. Or getting out of school and finding there is nothing there for them. They get listed as "unemployed" for a while... but eventually they just give up and quit looking.

Since you're so busy posting and reposting the same irrelevant charts on this thread, I'll play too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Republicans promote trickle down prosperity, and have delivered.
Oh, absolutely. The prosperity is positively killing us. :roll eyes:

Please, **** on my head some more and tell me it's "trickle down prosperity."

Old 01-10-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

I already responded to this BS, but i guess i need to do it again, the only way your argument works is if all generations had the exact same populations, they do not.

the Baby boomers are the second largest population group in this nation and the Silent generation is the smallest.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:24 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
So im guessing you dont understand population distribution.

there are 74 Million Baby boomers,or about 20% of our Population. The silent generation only makes up about 4% of our Population or 12 million.

so lets break it down for you since you dont understand.

lets say 50% of the silent generation contines to work, thats 6 million people, but 50% retire, thats 6 million people as well.

lets say 75% of baby boomers continue to work,thats a much higher percentage than 50%, thats 55 million people, but that means 25% retired, a much lower rate which is 19 million people

{The reason why im not using your chart numbers is because Baby Boomers consist of a 20 year generation and all of them are not 65 yet}

Now do you see why your logic is so flawed, the percentages of people could be identical, but the actual raw numbers would not even be close, even when lopsided, they are not close.

That is why a small percentage of baby boomers retiring effect the unemployment rate so much especially compared to other generations.
http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_table_303.htm

I will try once again to teach you math and how to understand graphs. And I will attempt to do so this time from the angle that you are looking at.

So, the chart from the BLS is showing that percentage of people over the age of 65 participating in the labor force has increased from 13.2% in 2002 to 18.5% in 2012. Here is what you are doing incorrectly!

You are thinking that the chart is actually showing the percentage of America's total workforce that is over the age of 65 is what has actually increased. That is not what this chart is showing!

What you are doing incorrectly is that you are not seeing that each of these labor force participation rates posted is an individual rate representing ONLY the age groups in the label to the left of the graph. When I say look at the LFPR for the 65 and older in the graph that number is NOT REPRESENTING ALL AGE GROUPS AS A WHOLE!

You seem to think the number of over 65 year olds working today has increased because it is a larger birth cohort. The absolute size of a birth cohort does not any way effect percentages as displayed in this graph. The cohorts born could be 10 people or 10 million people. That isn't what this graph is showing. It is showing specifically what percent of over 65 year olds are working today as opposed to 10 years ago. Not what percent of America's workforce is over 65.

This is the last time I try to explain. I have already received reps from two people asking me why I am even bothering to try and explain this to you. My best friend arrives in an hour and I have to get ready so we can go out for drinks!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post

I know reality has a liberal bias, but this is really stretching more than stretch Armstrong.
Reality has no bias.

"If reality wasn't so serious, liberalism would be mere comic relief for the thinking mind."

-Author unknown

Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Civilian labor force participation rates by age, sex, race, and ethnicity

I will try once again to teach you math and how to understand graphs. And I will attempt to do so this time from the angle that you are looking at.

So, the chart from the BLS is showing that percentage of people over the age of 65 participating in the labor force has increased from 13.2% in 2002 to 18.5% in 2012. Here is what you are doing incorrectly!

You are thinking that the chart is actually showing the percentage of America's total workforce that is over the age of 65 is what has actually increased. That is not what this chart is showing!

What you are doing incorrectly is that you are not seeing that each of these labor force participation rates posted is an individual rate representing ONLY the age groups in the label to the left of the graph. When I say look at the LFPR for the 65 and older in the graph that number is NOT REPRESENTING ALL AGE GROUPS AS A WHOLE!

You seem to think the number of over 65 year olds working today has increased because it is a larger birth cohort. The absolute size of a birth cohort does not any way effect percentages as displayed in this graph. The cohorts born could be 10 people or 10 million people. That isn't what this graph is showing. It is showing specifically what percent of over 65 year olds are working today as opposed to 10 years ago. Not what percent of America's workforce is over 65.

This is the last time I try to explain. I have already received reps from two people asking me why I am even bothering to try and explain this to you. My best friend arrives in an hour and I have to get ready so we can go out for drinks!

I did not misinterpret the chart, i dont even know what you are talking about in this post because none of that is even relevant to what i said.

I have not once denied that Baby Boomers are working longer. You seem to not even understand the debate you are apart of so let me try to expain it to you.

Democrats are blaming the decline in work force on the amount of baby boomers retiring
Republicans blame it on young people dropping out of the work force.

You seem to be arguing the very simplistic and true argument that less baby boomers are retiring compared to the previous generation. No one is denying that. Where you fail is that you seem to not comprehend that there are far more Baby boomers than there are almost any other generation.

When these boomers retire, it affects the Labor force participation because there are so many of them.

let me use some round numbers so i can get this across to you.

lets say boomers make up 50% of the work force, the Silent Gen makes up 10%, everyone else makes up 50%

10% of the Silent decides to retire, that would only equal 1% of the entire labor force, 5% of baby boomers retire, that maks up 2.5% of the entire labor force.

Even though baby boomers retired at a half the rate, their Labor Force drop out would still be double that of the previous generation.

now do you understand ?

Last edited by dsjj251; 01-10-2014 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies