Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 01:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Scientists research much phenomena including weather,if their science comes to the conclusion that the Earth is in a warming phase they will publish their findings, i dont see the global science community falsifying results on the average global temperature rising or anything else for that matter just to save their jobs..Your logic seems to imply the Earth's temperature is in fact not rising and all the worlds scientists are lying to protect their jobs.. Really?
......assuming they still have a job to protect.
Did you see The Fifth Estate's "The Silence of the Labs"?

Harper is such a dick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Translation: I'm not interested in having a scientific discussion; I don't believe in AGW because liberals generally accept it, I hate liberals, and nothing else matters.

You do realize that global temperature and CO2 levels are observable and measurable quantities, right?
Translation: I can't post a way to disprove global warming.

Look at REAL temperature data.

There's an oscillation from warm to cool and back again.

The hottest measured temperatures in my region were recorded from 1877-1902.

We're not even close to that now.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Climate Change is settled science. Anyone who denies that its happening should sit in the corner with a dunce cap on.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:55 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You realize that debt and temps are measurable values? Obviously debt is causing warming over the past 100 years. There is almost a linear relationship.

In other words - correlation isn't causation.
Not interested in science; only interested in an agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011
Translation: I can't post a way to disprove global warming.

Look at REAL temperature data.

There's an oscillation from warm to cool and back again.

The hottest measured temperatures in my region were recorded from 1877-1902.

We're not even close to that now.
Again, not interested in science; only interested in an agenda.

You guys and Al Gore are far more alike than different.

The science behind temperature, CO2 and the atmosphere is actually quite interesting. Unlike you guys and Al Gore, I have no opinion on climate change; I simply act like a scientist (or let scientists who have better access to this stuff act like scientists) by making observations, trying to find explanations to fit these observations, and make predictions based on these explanations. If/when we find evidence that refutes our explanations, we revise them to make sense of the new information.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
97% of weather related scientists would come pretty close to all of em in my books and if they are saying the Earth is in a warming phase thats good enough for me, why the rightwing wants to deny what so many scientists are agreed upon strikes me as kinda weird.
The Earth goes in cycles of warming and cooling,scientific research tells us we are now in a warming phase Yet righties tell us all the scientists are wrong and that they are perpetrating some kind of hoax on humanity to save their jobs.

Northwest Passage crossed by first cargo ship, the Nordic Orion, heralding new era of Arctic commercial activity | National Post

Global Warming: Confronting the Realities of Climate Change | Union of Concerned Scientists

https://www.google.ca/#q=Warmest+yea...rd&safe=active

Climate Change: Evidence
there again, you are assuming something that isnt fact. most conservatives will recognize that we have been in a warming trend in the last 200 years, the records prove that. what is at issue though is the cause of said warming. also note that the alarmists are claiming that we are in a general warming trend, but the geological record for the last 65 million years shows a general cooling trend.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Exactly.

Based on what the IPCC claims, we should be insulating everything with CO2.

Scientifically....

Mircea
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Don't be dense. CO2 is the only factor in climate change we can control currently.
"Don't be dense?"

Uh, wut? Excuse me, can we please have some freaking science here?

The whole premise behind Global Warming is that the teeny tiny 347 ppm of CO2 in your atmosphere is reflecting longer wave radiation....mainly in the IR band... back to to Earth, causing it to heat up.

If the reflective properties of CO2 are so damn good, then why would you not insulate double-pane glass windows with CO2 to reflect heat back into your home to keep it warm in the Winter, and then reflect heat from entering your home in the Summer keeping it cool?

School districts are strapped for cash....why would you not employ this Goliath of Greenhouse Gases in double-pane CO2 filled windows to save energy?

Why would you not take a plastic bladder, fill it with CO2, cover the plastic bladder with some cotton-polyester blend cloth to make it look pretty, and then wrap it around your water heater?

Hell, you should be able to turn off the gas or electricity to your water heater once the Greenhouse effect starts running away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There is clear evidence that climate change is afoot.
You are in an Inter-Glacial Period, are you not?

Were you expecting global mean temperatures to stay the same or to decrease? I sure hope not, because that would be really silly, since temperatures are supposed to rise during an Inter-Glacial Period.

Quote:
And what is the purpose of this hoax? perpetrated on a "gullible population" by basically the entire scientific community..
Follow the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Hey Kids! Remember back in grade school when you learned about the Greenhouse Effect, a concept that has been around for over 100 years?
We never learned that in grade school. We were too busy focusing on Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rrithmetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, here is a simple experiment you can do at home!
The Earth is a 2-liter coke bottle?

The things I did not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Climate Change is settled science. Anyone who denies that its happening should sit in the corner with a dunce cap on.

Aren't you constantly told that the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is larger now than it has been in the last 800,000 years?

Well, during the last Inter-Glacial Period that took place 125,000 years ago, the mean global temperatures were 7°F warmer than now.

Anyone who doesn't understand that should be sitting in a corner with a dunce cap on.

Scientifically...

Mircea

Old 01-12-2014, 04:56 PM

1,074 posts, read 758,082 times
I always love your posts. Logic is your friend. Too bad Leftists are lacking in that area.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:

Were you expecting global mean temperatures to stay the same or to decrease? I sure hope not, because that would be really silly, since temperatures are supposed to rise during an Inter-Glacial Period.

Follow the money.

We never learned that in grade school. We were too busy focusing on Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rrithmetic.

The Earth is a 2-liter coke bottle?

The things I did not know.

Aren't you constantly told that the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is larger now than it has been in the last 800,000 years?

Well, during the last Inter-Glacial Period that took place 125,000 years ago, the mean global temperatures were 7°F warmer than now.

Anyone who doesn't understand that should be sitting in a corner with a dunce cap on.

Scientifically...

Mircea
How many peer reviewed scientific papers reject the idea that humans are affecting the climate?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:

Follow the money.

You are saying all scientific research is about the money and results are aired on that basis?,
That logic would render the scientific community totally non viable as nothing the scientists say could be relied upon as credible,just posting of results that conform to a political and/or financial objective
Yet some would say we are to believe the likes of Limbaugh,Beck and FOX without question.
Think i'll stick to what the scientists say..

While the real question is whether man is adversely affecting the degree of Global Warming, I'm not a climatologist and can only come to opinions based on what i've read and the fact that humans are using 100 Million barrels of oil per day globally makes me think there has to be some consequence, if the scientific community tells me those consequences are an increased green house effect or we are polluting much of the world i wouldnt find those scientific conclusions out of the ball park IMO
One thing i certainly wouldnt do is base my opinions on political sources that continually hate all things environmental and science in general,their agenda is just too obvious.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:00 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Ah, well this explains why you guys try to pass off your clown blogs and tabloids as references. It doesn't matter if they're factually correct, ideology is what matters.

Anyway, I don't see anything particularly political or controversial being brought up in the OP. Just some denialist saying "I heard me some libruls on the radio and had me a good belly laugh." This thread should be closed.
So you agree with NPR equating weather with climate? Is that your version of settled science?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies